• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson international career

slippy888

International Captain
So okay we know his goal is to get to the magic 700 test wickets, but it gonna be tough for him guys to get these remaining 12 wickets and it gonna take him at least another 7 test matches and can he cope with all of this considering he around 41 now.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I almost want him to get to 700 in the last two tests just so he can retire already. Almost.

(I’m sure if he had such a strong end to the Ashes it would just motivate him to continue longer)

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Has Jimmy ever said or indicated that 700 is his goal? If he has I'm not aware of it so I'd like to know how "we know this"?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
He will easily reach more than 700 wickets next English Summer when he gets a chance to bowl at Sri Lanka and West Indies (6 Tests in total). Probably only need to play about 1-2 Tests.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Has Jimmy ever said or indicated that 700 is his goal? If he has I'm not aware of it so I'd like to know how "we know this"?
Nah we don’t its just a big theory since he’s so close and so old. Who knows, his target may be Warne, or even Murali, or just to keep playing til he can’t.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Jimmy Anderson will play as long as Jimmy Anderson wants to. Despite all of you banging nails into his coffin after 2 quiet tests, the bloke is still one of the best in the world and gets picked on merit with the proviso that naturally his workload needs to be managed so he can keep going.

The same people writing Jimmy off were wanting to drop Stokes if he can't bowl bassed on a relatively quiet period with the bat......smart ****ing thinking that was!

Qlder

State Captain
Only way Anderson plays another test is if someone is injured and they pick 4 pacers. Broad, Wood, Woakes and Robinson ahead of him now

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Stokes can't really bowl and with weather conditions as they are for next test (rainy and overcast), it'd be shocking if we don't see Anderson amongst the 4 pacers.

FTR, Anderson is still No.4 in the ICC Test Rankings. So only a ****ing fool would write him off (even at age 41). He is still a top bowler.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Only way Anderson plays another test is if someone is injured and they pick 4 pacers. Broad, Wood, Woakes and Robinson ahead of him now
Broad is a funny one and he's hit some supreme form this series which he does seem to manager in Ashes series. I don't accept in any way that he's a better bowler than Jimmy but his Ashes record is superior and right here right now he's the first bowler named. But I'm talking Jimmy before everyone else for this test.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Broad is a funny one and he's hit some supreme form this series which he does seem to manager in Ashes series. I don't accept in any way that he's a better bowler than Jimmy but his Ashes record is superior and right here right now he's the first bowler named. But I'm talking Jimmy before everyone else for this test.
The only issue with Anderson is it seems he loses a lot of potency as the game goes on. I remember they showed his second innings bowling numbers and they were not pretty. It could well be a function of age and fitness catching up with him. But yeah, for a game that is supposed to be rain interrupted and on what will most likely be a green seamer, Anderson should be selected at the moment, esp. given the alternative is Robinson who has not been good this series.

Flem274*

123/5
With Broad, I think its genuinely #momentum. He's a confidence bowler who tends to take his wickets in clumps and he's had the mental edge on Warner for their entire careers. Add in the fact Australia have only had one reliable #3 in Labuschagne during Broad's career and it explains why Broad has such a good Ashes record imo. Warner gets his engine running with regularity and Broad with his tail up on a roll is as good as any fast bowler England have produced.

Qlder

State Captain
Add in the fact Australia have only had one reliable #3 in Labuschagne during Broad's career and it explains why Broad has such a good Ashes record imo.
Smith was actually a pretty reliable #3 before he got concussed and subbed out by Labuschagne. Never really understood why Labushagne pushed Smith to #4, especially as Labushagne batted #4 for Qld at the time

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Smith was actually a pretty reliable #3 before he got concussed and subbed out by Labuschagne. Never really understood why Labushagne pushed Smith to #4, especially as Labushagne batted #4 for Qld at the time
Smith was batting 4 when that happened, and had been for a while - Khawaja was the number 3 at the time.