• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Introducing cricket to a new country and audience

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You could always advertise yourself on the internet? And then do free commentating via an internet stream...or something.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
small steps eh? will consider it. maybe an article or two in the written press will set the wheel in motion.
this said after the thriller of a test between England and West Indies :)
may as well update the romanian wikipedia section about cricket.
:) you guys seem to have a surge of optimism which surely helps.
let's say it was the beginner's enthusiasm - now I can see better the enormity of it all and feel weird at times, liking and following a sport about which nobody else seems to care.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know some guys who might be interested in publishing an article on their website about developing cricket in Romania. I reckon it would make a very interesting blog type thing. If you'd like me to put you in touch with them, feel free to e-mail me at:

HeathDavisSpeed@yahoo.co.nz

Could be a book in it too, I reckon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some of Liam (Pup Clarke)'s of late have been just about as bad. And at least I made a point of pointing-out that I knew it was terrible.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
:dry:...I'll learn. Complete exaggeration as well. There's was one or two that were pretty awful, the rest I thought were acceptable.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I'll try to get this back on topic.

Getting cricket in Romania - great idea, would be great for me, but as you said, baby steps, getting your sport into the Romanian consciousness won't be easy, so word of mouth may be key.

It no doubt won't be a quick process, though.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
agreed - different culture, mentality, and a lot of messing when trying to express in romanian some aspects of the game which sound so clear-cut in english.
maybe cricket is one of those games who has never been meant to get really global - it's mostly an expression of the british culture in its imperial expansion.
it's no football, athletics or gymnastics, sports which the most dumb can understand quite easily.
it's more like those asian games, so simple in their outlet, yet so complex in their development (say the japanese GO game, you can play it on a 19x19 board and screw your brains out, or you can make it a quick 9x9 affair for kids - all with the simplest of means).
it has its jargon almost untranslatable.
well.. i'd try my best, but day after day i find myself agreeing with Richard and his cautious approach of the issue.
after all, a drop of mud in a basin of pure water ends polluting the whole thing.
whatever the future holds, cricket has won me and I can stand some weird stairs when talking, writing about it - and even when lazing for 2 hours to watch a Test session online :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mate, at the end of the day, if you like it, that's the most important thing. If you can get others into it, great, but as you (and I...) say... it's not the easiest thing in The World, and it's no disgrace if, for the minute at least, it's not possible.

Don't give-up trying, though.

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
Wow a Romainian who likes Cricket! I was very surprised. At fiirst I thought you were probably some Indian guy living in Romania but then I was like there are no Indian people in Romania. Anyway from reading your posts you sound like you've really got an understanding and love for the sport.

About spreading it I gotta agree with a few others who've said its gonna be near impossible but what matters is that you enjoy it and if you can get some other people to like it thats an added bonus. I kinda know how you feel cuz when I was 15 i was the only one in my school who listened to heavy metal and wanted to be a virtuoso guitar player but no one was in the least bit interested in any of that. And now look I'm an unemployed virtuoso guitar player.

Believe it or not once I was going through a cricket group on myspace and I found a chick who was born and brought in Texas. She went to visit her sister in England during the 2005 Ashes and has been an avid cricket fan ever since. But the most shocking thing was she was not ugly or fat! I 'll try to post her profile link if I can.

So it is possible to turn people into cricket. I know a lot of English fans who never cared for Cricket became fans after the Ashes 2005. Its a lot easier when its part of your culture ofcourse. But I say keep trying.

My plan would be to get it started in school. Maybe the kids who arent good at any of the regular sports and feel left out can start playing it.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
Major bump!

The Twenty20 World Cup will be broadcasted throughout Europe on Eurosport 2, which means in Romania also. Hope for a good commentary, will be writing to them about specifics.

First game will be tonight's opener, delayed, then tomorrow Australia - West Indies live.

Dreams do come true sometimes.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Major bump!

The Twenty20 World Cup will be broadcasted throughout Europe on Eurosport 2, which means in Romania also. Hope for a good commentary, will be writing to them about specifics.

First game will be tonight's opener, delayed, then tomorrow Australia - West Indies live.

Really? That is amazing. I never thought Id see the day I could watch cricket in Bulgaria :)

Son Of Coco

Major bump!

Awesome, I visited your country for a (very) short time in 07. It was a nice place, but unfortunately we weren't there for long enough to meet many locals. My mate only had a short time for his holidays. Went to Bucharest and Brasov though. As well as the place where the flights leave from in the Transylvanian Alps (!?).

Good luck with it all!

HeathDavisSpeed

atisha_ro! My favourite Romanian cricket forum member.

Glad to hear that progress has been made and this great game is making inroads in such places.