• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Next Captain

Who should be India's next captain?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not recently but Pakistan took the full brunt of Sehwag's flat trck bully title.He got hundreds of runs agianst them between 2004 and 2005.
The dropped catches hindered them far more than the flat tracks. Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen one team, even Pakistan, drop a single player as often as they have with Sehwag.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well, I would like to see the selectors take the punt and give Yuvi the captaincy for the BD series and the "stars" can all take a nice rest and hopefully, come back a little fresher.

That would answer questions to some extent reg. our bench strength in terms of batting and leadership, IMHO.

pup11

International Coach
Personally if Dravid or Ganguly won't be the next Indian captain then i have got to say their ain't many good options in the Indian team atm.

maheshprasad

Cricket Spectator
For All The Indian Fools(only)

First of all I need to tell you something.Why are you even considering Kaif as the next captain?In my belief you first pick the best team you have got and then pick the best man for the job from that XI.If it is a 15 member team you can have utmost 7 batsmen.And who are India's best 7.I am going to rate players in the order.

1.Sachin
2.Laxman
3.Dravid
4.Ganguly
5.Sehwag
6.Yuvraj
7.Dhoni
Where is Kaif in the list?He is certainly not better than these people and you know that.

Next,if you guys are supporting Kaif for his leadership skills,then who is better than saurav to take the job?He was the most successful captain India has ever seen.I vote for Saurav.

Then,nobody voted for Sachin.Why?Some of you even think that he shouldn't be in the team.I am an Indian and foreigners,please don't be offended.I am going to tell this to the so-called Indian fans.How easily you raise people to the skies and how easily you drop them?You have forgotten sachin,haven't you?You have forgotten the greatest batsman of modern era.He has been scoring at an average of 44 for the last two months and you don't need him in the team because of his poor performance in 2 matches and because he is 33.You people suck.He can be a great captain too.He is next to Ganguly in my poll.These two are the only guys capable of leading an Indian team

Now about the future,why are you looking into the future when there is no present.So you go ahead and make Dinesh Karthik the captain and Suresh Raina the vice captain and retain Chappell and make a new program VISION 2011.And don't forget to organize cricket carnivals wishing Team India luckkkkkkkkk.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Of those listed, I'd say only Dravid and Yuvraj are any kind of certainties to stay in the team for more than the next few months. Given that Dravid's continued to perform with the bat while being captain, and he's had his successes, I'd retain him, and make Yuvraj the VC. I think you change the captain and coach, but it won't automatically improve the team, and in the case of the captain, could make the situation worse. Given I think Chappell will go, you'd want to keep some continuity and concentrate on improving the deficiencies in the team. Dravid, as a player, certainly isn't one of those, and I don't think his captaincy is disastrous...

adharcric

International Coach
maheshprasad said:
First of all I need to tell you something.Why are you even considering Kaif as the next captain?In my belief you first pick the best team you have got and then pick the best man for the job from that XI.If it is a 15 member team you can have utmost 7 batsmen.And who are India's best 7.I am going to rate players in the order.

1.Sachin
2.Laxman
3.Dravid
4.Ganguly
5.Sehwag
6.Yuvraj
7.Dhoni
Where is Kaif in the list?He is certainly not better than these people and you know that.
Did you even bother to read the thread? Clearly, Kaif can not become captain until he is an established regular in the one-day side. Dravid should keep the captaincy until either Yuvraj or Kaif is ready to take the mantle.
maheshprasad said:
Next,if you guys are supporting Kaif for his leadership skills,then who is better than saurav to take the job?He was the most successful captain India has ever seen.I vote for Saurav.
Ganguly? Politics? Fag end of his career? Batting suffers as captain? Bad idea? Uhh yeah, probably is.
maheshprasad said:
Then,nobody voted for Sachin.Why?Some of you even think that he shouldn't be in the team.I am an Indian and foreigners,please don't be offended.I am going to tell this to the so-called Indian fans.How easily you raise people to the skies and how easily you drop them?You have forgotten sachin,haven't you?You have forgotten the greatest batsman of modern era.He has been scoring at an average of 44 for the last two months and you don't need him in the team because of his poor performance in 2 matches and because he is 33.You people suck.He can be a great captain too.He is next to Ganguly in my poll.These two are the only guys capable of leading an Indian team.
See above. By the way, don't expect to last long with the insults.
maheshprasad said:
Now about the future,why are you looking into the future when there is no present.So you go ahead and make Dinesh Karthik the captain and Suresh Raina the vice captain and retain Chappell and make a new program VISION 2011.And don't forget to organize cricket carnivals wishing Team India luckkkkkkkkk.
Oh yeah, welcome to CW.

irfan

State Captain
I'd like to see the following X1 for the ODI's vs Bangladesh in May.

Sourav Ganguly
Robin Uthappa
Rahul Dravid (Best at 3 IMO)
Sachin Tendulkar
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Irfan Pathan
Ramesh Powar
Sreesanth
Zaheer Khan
Munaf Patel
I'm not convinced about Uthappa, he seems like a front-foot bully much in the vein of Imran Nazir. I'd rather Sachin opening with Sourav and Kaif in at 4.

We really need Kaif to be assured about his spot because he's always the incumbent in the batting lineup when we lose/senior batsman returns. Guarantee Kaif a starting place for a couple of series, and he won't have lingering thoughts in the back of his mind.
If he performs consistently with the bat, I have no qualms of having him and Yuvraj being joint vc.

Obviously if he can establish himself for a couple of seasons, he should replace Dravid as captain. Sets a great example in the field, has a strong work ethic and has the technique to cope against a quality attack or a seaming pitch. Would provide a nice contrast to Sehwag/Yuvraj/Dhoni - glorified flat track bashers.

Also Agarkar >> Sreesanth. Haven't you heard of the AAAS? :blink:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I'd go for Yurav..and I'd do it NOW to prepare for 2011. I wouldn't go back to Sachin or Sourav as a short term option start planning for the future now. Kaif isn't in the team so that's too big a jump IMO (England did that so often with the likes of Deness, Lewis , Keith Fletcher and Chris Cowdery...it rarely works)

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Why not make Yuvraj VC, and give him at least a year to be groomed under Dravid before making the switch? Captaincy requires a different set of skills from being a player and a bit of time for him to start to get his head around it without being immediately thrown in the deep end would only help him succeed long-term. If, as could happen, he finds its not to his taste, better to find out while he's VC and you haven't undermined the confidence of the team's best batsman by dumping him as captain.

Hamilton B

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yuvraj as captain would be disastrous. I suppose he could pull a mini-Ponting and give up on the booze and parties, and concentrate on his career, although I doubt it. A captain needs to be there for his mates too, not just for himself.

DCC_legend

International Regular
i voted for Ganguly.

He has captained the side before, has loads of experience and he has been a revelation since he returned to the Indian Cricket set up.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
There should have been one more option - VVS Laxman. He has been a good leader for his state him in the past and has great International experience and performs well under pressure.

He should have been made captain ahead of Dravid at least in Tests. Dravid is poor at pretty much everything one needs from a captain. His processes should stopped immediately. He should be sacked and along with Tendulkar should never be considered for India captaincy.

Nishant

International 12th Man
There should have been one more option - VVS Laxman. He has been a good leader for his state him in the past and has great International experience and performs well under pressure.

He should have been made captain ahead of Dravid at least in Tests. Dravid is poor at pretty much everything one needs from a captain. His processes should stopped immediately. He should be sacked and along with Tendulkar should never be considered for India captaincy.
But the thing is that i would rather we had a captain who was able to be a captain of both ODIs and tests. Laxman is finding it difficult to make the side...how will he be captain? Plus, in a side like india's...a captian needs to be someone who would lead from the front and someone who is agile and full of energy...laxman certainly doesnt fit that role. Not to say that Dravid or Ganguly fit that either....but surely ganguly will be able to lead frm the front, especially as he has done it b4!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

If I see any more crap fielders in our ODI side, I'm going to go insane.

Nishant

International 12th Man
If I see any more crap fielders in our ODI side, I'm going to go insane.
:laugh:

Yh...thats another reason why laxman cannot be captain TBH...he has to lead from the front, but how can the rest of the team look upto him if he's really bad in the first place?

adharcric

International Coach

Laxman may have been a candidate for test captaincy, but the real issue is the ODI captaincy. Laxman would be a terrible choice for that role.