• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian players racially abused at SCG

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can almost see this inevitably leading to a situation where all crowd/player verbal interaction during play is banned. There are early reports indicated that nothing racist was said, but you will get these "he said she said" situations and if you have a blanket rule of "no talking to players in case it is misconstrued or you will be evicted" then you can kick the crowd out without risk of falsely accusing someone of racism.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Apparently the scums were the same bunch who abused Siraj yesterday as well. CA has issued apology to India but I think an example should be set in terms of criminal action against these ****s like imprisonment.
No.

But it's interesting they saw the news break out yesterday and still came back. Pretty... something

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't know if it'll go as far as "you can't talk to players" but I certainly think the benefit of the doubt should go to the player, not the spectators, in such situations. You're there to watch, they're the ones actually playing, keep your **** to yourself if you feel like pushing the boundaries and spare me the "oh but i paid my money" tripe.

The SCG has a pretty bad rep for this stuff too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I actually think the ground security (and the police, apparently) and all authorities involved should be commended for how swiftly they acted once the issue became serious. They have set the standard in how this should be handled around the world IMO.

Window

U19 Debutant
They had a moment of silence and took the knee against racism at the Sydney vs Brisbane BBL game today. Is that related to this?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Well said from Langer:

Australia coach Justin Langer on Sunday night slammed the abuse of players from the crowd as "upsetting and disappointing". "Anyone who knows me, I've said for years it's just one of my greatest pet hates in life that people think they can come to a sporting event whether it’s cricket or any code and pay their money and think they can abuse or say whatever they like," he said.

Howsie

International Captain
Indian spectator Rishi Aryan, who was seated in the same bay, told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Ageon Sunday: “All these boys were doing is a bit of sledging of the player on the outfield. First it was Bumrah then they had a sledge against Siraj. They kept calling him Shiraz and all that crap. Next thing you know they said: ‘Welcome to Sydney, Siraj’ and then he got the ****s. That was literally it. Then he walked off.

Or maybe not. Given that there are other people who have come out and backed this up I think old mate might be in a little trouble.

Well at least pay for their Day 5 ticket.

stephen

Indian spectator Rishi Aryan, who was seated in the same bay, told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Ageon Sunday: “All these boys were doing is a bit of sledging of the player on the outfield. First it was Bumrah then they had a sledge against Siraj. They kept calling him Shiraz and all that crap. Next thing you know they said: ‘Welcome to Sydney, Siraj’ and then he got the ****s. That was literally it. Then he walked off.

Or maybe not. Given that there are other people who have come out and backed this up I think old mate might be in a little trouble.

Well at least pay for their Day 5 ticket.
If this is actually true then Siraj owes the people an apology.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know if it'll go as far as "you can't talk to players" but I certainly think the benefit of the doubt should go to the player, not the spectators, in such situations. You're there to watch, they're the ones actually playing, keep your **** to yourself if you feel like pushing the boundaries and spare me the "oh but i paid my money" tripe.

The SCG has a pretty bad rep for this stuff too.
I actually think the ground security (and the police, apparently) and all authorities involved should be commended for how swiftly they acted once the issue became serious. They have set the standard in how this should be handled around the world IMO.
But then what happens when it's all a misunderstanding, or the player has just had enough, and you kick out some poeple that were doing nothing wrong? Yeah great everyone came together to back the player and the offenders were evicted so quickly, but now you've set a precedent where you don't need proof, basically "you're a witch, burn him". Surely potential to open yourself up to repercussions.

Saw people posting pics that the kayo account shared of the 5 guys in hawaiian shirts sitting there with the caption "racial vilifiers" or something like that, which is seriously ballsy unless you've got rock hard evidence.

stephen

Different sources claiming different thing. Not sure whom to trust
If that's true the people deserve to be banned from the scg for life.

And this is the problem with he said/ she said. We need to wait for the investigation before we know anything conclusively. I now that this Twitter source didn't mention names white the SMH article does (And the SMH is left wing so is probably more likely to take the racist narrative).

Personally I hope that it was all a misunderstanding and the tour continues as planned.

cnerd123

likes this
If this is actually true then Siraj owes the people an apology.
If I was a spectator and I was so annoying to a player that they felt compelled to report me to the authorities for being racist, then clearly I'm the one who ****ed up here.

I paid for a ticket to watch the game, not for permission to abuse, harass or even distract the players.

Siraj is the one owed an apology.

Howsie

International Captain
Different sources claiming different thing. Not sure whom to trust
The SMH has three different people sitting around where this happens all pretty much say the same thing in regards to what the group of guys said. I mean yeah wait for the full story to unfold and all but that is pretty condemning IMO

stephen

If I was a spectator and I was so annoying to a player that they felt compelled to report me to the authorities for being racist, then clearly I'm the one who ****ed up here.

I paid for a ticket to watch the game, not for permission to abuse, harass or even distract the players.

Siraj is the one owed an apology.
Nah you have to take a bit of crowd harassment if you're playing away from home. It literally happens in every sport. If it crossed the line into racial abuse then sure, throw the book at em. But if it wasn't then Siraj needs to learn a lesson in professional sport. I mean it's not like people were taking potshots at his wife.

Gnske

I dunno, from the vibe of it, at "best" it's a straw breaking the camel's back moment. If the blokes in the crowd are collateral casualties, that's unfortunate but it seems clear racial abuse been a nagging issue for some time for various Indian players. So if there's heightened sensitivities its understandable and the dam was bound to break eventually.