• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you trained for five years…

nick-o

State 12th Man
Semi-seriously, I can see a justification for bringing pro-wrestling into the Olympic fold.

When I was a child, a highlight of the year was when the Circus would come to town. There was a field right next to St Helens Cricket Ground where Garry Sobers famously hit six sixes in an over, and they'd erect a genuine Big Top every year and everyone would bring their kids to watch. So many of the classic circus acts are mirrored in the Olympics -- the strongman displays and the feats of the acrobats (with high wire and tight rope replaced by beams and bars and rings and trampolines) and the stunning tricks performed by trained horses (and amazing displays on unicycles)...

I've never been much into pro-wrestling, but I can see so many of its roots in the Circus -- the over-the-top ring master, the coordinated pratfalls of the clowns, the Strongest Man in the World and the Amazing Tattooed Lady, even the cage-matches and folding chairs have the same choreography used by the lion-tamers.

So it would be kind of apt to bring the Olympics and pro-wrestling together as a way of reuniting the heirs to the Circus. Don't know how you'd judge it, mind. Some kind of "wow" factor?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strongman in the olympics would be pretty cool. Most of the existing ones won’t qualify though unless they allow doping.