• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank the bowling attacks in world cricket as of today ?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
West Indies getting overrated all over a sudden.

Roach has regressed, Sammy is a constant part of the attack and their spinners tend to disappoint. Rampaul and Edwards are promising but fitness is always an issue.
Sammy manages to bowl well though despite looking like he should be utterly hopeless.

Bishoo's quite promising, bear in mind 6 of his 8 (?) Tests to date have come against India.

I'd put them 4th, below the top 3 I don't think the rest of the world is up to much in terms of bowling and the West Indies actually have 4 bowlers who all average around or under 30 for the past 2-3 years. I think they're under-rated because their bowlers aren't winning them many games because the batting is complete rubbish.

Flem274*

123/5
they simply have to be better than Sri Lanka.
:laugh:

A good showing against South Africa will change things in my mind. If we can take it to those ****s then I'll start getting happy. History shows that if it happens it's likely to be Martin owning them though because he always does.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sammy has actually been gun though, and Roach is irrelevant unless someone gets injured.
Sammy has been very useful but I wouldn't say he has been gun. Definitely a sense that he gets wickets because the opposition don't take him all that seriously as a bowler. Sammy is a very canny bowler and takes advantage of attitudes like that but I don't think he will be a consistent Test performer.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pattinson, Harris, Siddle, Lyon and Watson.

Harris will never actually be properly fit though which makes it a bit irrelevant; I don't really have a problem with Hilfenhaus playing ahead of him based on that now, or even Cummins. I'd have Bollinger right in the mix as well but that's just not going to happen so I give up basically; might as well re-start my Chris Rogers bandwagon.
Will be interesting to see what they decide to do with Cummins when he's back to fitness actually. Do they slot him back into the team or send him back to play domestic cricket - have my fingers crossed it's the latter, especially if Hilf/Siddle/Harris are all still fit/bowling well, but I have my doubts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sammy has been very useful but I wouldn't say he has been gun. Definitely a sense that he gets wickets because the opposition don't take him all that seriously as a bowler.
So do you think the opposition take him seriously now?

Spark

Global Moderator
Will be interesting to see what they decide to do with Cummins when he's back to fitness actually. Do they slot him back into the team or send him back to play domestic cricket - have my fingers crossed it's the latter, especially if Hilf/Siddle/Harris are all still fit/bowling well, but I have my doubts.
Given how long it's taking him to get back to fitness, I don't think they're rushing him at all. We might see him in an ODI or two, but other than that...

Howe_zat

Audio File
West Indies getting overrated all over a sudden.

Roach has regressed, Sammy is a constant part of the attack and their spinners tend to disappoint. Rampaul and Edwards are promising but fitness is always an issue.
Inclined to agree

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Has to be the latter surely?

I see no reason why Pattinson, Hilfenhaus and Siddle shouldn't be the seam attack assuming none of them are injured. Harris would also surely be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think they'll feel the need to rush back a teenager who has played one good game in his entire First Class career from a long-term injury when they have so many other performing bowlers. They'll probably keep him in the T20/ODI side and try to give him some Shield cricket, some A-tours in the offseason, etc. Hope so anyway; I actually think he's a lot more obviously special than Pattinson but he needs to be handled properly.

Flem274*

123/5
If South Africa find a spinner and sort Morkel out they're in business.

A lot easier said than done though obvz.

As an attack, does Australia beat them out you reckon guys? From what we've seen they have better depth atm (though SA may have gems hidden away).

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think they'll feel the need to rush back a teenager who has played one good game in his entire First Class career from a long-term injury when they have so many other performing bowlers. They'll probably keep him in the T20/ODI side and try to give him some Shield cricket, some A-tours in the offseason, etc. Hope so anyway; I actually think he's a lot more obviously special than Pattinson but he needs to be handled properly.
Hmm, really? As far as I can tell the only thing he gets over Pattinson is crazy bounce because he hits the seam so hard, but on the other hand, his action... gonna spend a lot of time on the sidelines if he doesn't make a few adjustments.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

As an attack, does Australia beat them out you reckon guys? From what we've seen they have better depth atm (though SA may have gems hidden away).
Not right now. In a couple of years time I expect to be saying that Australia's attack is better.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given how long it's taking him to get back to fitness, I don't think they're rushing him at all. We might see him in an ODI or two, but other than that...
Do you think he might get a 3 month stint in county cricket to get more experience or is he that fragile it too risky?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh i'm 95% certain something like that'll happen, just the lingering doubt (carried over from the previous selection panel I guess) that they'll completely screw up in the way they handle an obviously special young talent.

Mike5181

International Captain

Personally, no way. Steyn and Philander edge it towards South Africa. It's not like Australia have a world class spinner either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm, really? As far as I can tell the only thing he gets over Pattinson is crazy bounce because he hits the seam so hard, but on the other hand, his action... gonna spend a lot of time on the sidelines if he doesn't make a few adjustments.
Pattinson is a lot more refined, but you'd expect that from someone who's been in the state system longer and is a couple of years older. I actually really like Cummins's action from an effectiveness standpoint but I'm not a doctor so I don't know if his body can sustain it at all. If he ends up really injury-prone it'll be a big shame.

Spark

Global Moderator
Do you think he might get a 3 month stint in county cricket to get more experience or is he that fragile it too risky?
Someone who knows more about the physical strains of bowling more than me should comment (Top_Cat etc) but I'd not do it, he needs the off-season to get his body way stronger than it currently is (and ofc fix his action)

EDIT: I haven't seen much of Pattinson's state stuff where he's a bang-it-in merchant but fmd his Test stuff... a few tweaks here and there, work on his first spell rhythm and you'd be hard pressed to find a more complete fast bowler.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Someone who knows more about the physical strains of bowling more than me should comment (Top_Cat etc) but I'd not do it, he needs the off-season to get his body way stronger than it currently is (and ofc fix his action)
Yeah, reckon Cummins can afford to wait before embarking on a County career.

In 2014, other than a World T20 in April, Australia have no international commitments that would stand in the way of Cummins getting a full season in England.