• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How much longer can Badrinath be kept out?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly all retire at once (or as good as at once) it doesn't bother me. If the Yuvraj Singhs, Badrinaths, Sharmas et al are good enough, they'll come in and perform. If they're not, they won't. It really is as simple as that.
?!

Yuvraj Singh, Badrinath, Tiwary, Uthappa and Raina, not to mention Pujara should be there before Rohit Sharma.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
S Badrinath

There are more holes in the ODI team and more of an opportunity for Badrinath, but it would be a shame to see him get picked in the format he is weaker in (but still quite good), as the possibility of failure would usually mean that the chance to prove himself as a Test player is unlikely.
Yes, would be terrible to see the case of S Sriram being repeated in S Badrinath.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, would be terrible to see the case of S Sriram being repeated in S Badrinath.
Indeed. I really do hate the idea that a good FC player will be a good ODI player - especially when they have a dire List A record.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He manages in the middle order in ODIs, I don't see why he wouldn't in Tests.
Does he really manage though? He's played 1 really notable innings in the middle-order in ODIs, having been an opener all his life. I'm still firmly of the opinion that if he has a ODI future, it must be in the top-three, and I hate to see him playing so far down the order. Would much prefer him to open with Ganguly.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed. I really do hate the idea that a good FC player will be a good ODI player - especially when they have a dire List A record.
Badrinath's List A record is very good. Not as impressive as his FC numbers, but good enough to warrant a place in the Indian ODI side when an opening arises.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Honestly think its a bit of joke that Yuvraj is considered a test contender ahead of Badri on the basis of his ODi form when Badri's First class performance has been much better.

Its astonishing that Badri has not even been given his opportunity in the ODI format where he has a pretty good record as well......

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly think its a bit of joke that Yuvraj is considered a test contender ahead of Badri on the basis of his ODi form when Badri's First class performance has been much better.

Its astonishing that Badri has not even been given his opportunity in the ODI format where he has a pretty good record as well......
Because the standards of a lot of domestic first class cricket attacks is also a bit of a joke.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Badrinath's List A record is very good. Not as impressive as his FC numbers, but good enough to warrant a place in the Indian ODI side when an opening arises.
Yes, I was talking about a slightly different situation as brought up about S Sriram.

sunilreddy

Banned
He comes from South India. That's the main reason he is not in selectors consideration.

This happened with Kumaran, Youhanan, Badani.......................

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Because the standards of a lot of domestic first class cricket attacks is also a bit of a joke.
Yes of course...which explains why against the same domestic attacks Yuvraj averages a lot lower....

And explain away the fact that Badrinath has made runs aplenty for India A against the likes of Australia A, South Africa A and New Zealand A 8-)

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
He comes from South India. That's the main reason he is not in selectors consideration.

This happened with Kumaran, Youhanan, Badani.......................

I don't know about Yohanan...who wasn't very good tbh.

But Badani - definitely unlucky when you think that rubbish like Mongia got chances last year.
TA Sekhar, L Sivaramarkrishnan, K Ananthapathmanabhan, Sreedharan Sriram....a lot of good players from the South have never really got their recognition.
I hope the same doesn't happen to Badri.

TBf the politics doesn't just extend to players from the south - its amazing that someone like Pankaj Dharmani never got a test for India - Indian cricket's loss really that deserving players do not alawys get picked.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't know about Yohanan...who wasn't very good tbh.

But Badani - definitely unlucky when you think that rubbish like Mongia got chances last year.
TA Sekhar, L Sivaramarkrishnan, K Ananthapathmanabhan, Sreedharan Sriram....a lot of good players from the South have never really got their recognition.
I hope the same doesn't happen to Badri.

TBf the politics doesn't just extend to players from the south - its amazing that someone like Pankaj Dharmani never got a test for India - Indian cricket's loss really that deserving players do not alawys get picked.
well said.

TBH, sometimes I do feel whether it is the lack of the"glamour" quotient that gets in the way of guys like this getting picked.

Not juz talking abou Badri here, juz in general... Someone like Laxman is always on the chopping block a little more than some others... U see guys like Dhoni though and it seems they are booked in the team for the next ten years..... Not commenting on the individual players themselves here, or their merits, but juz wondering whether the "glamour" quotient plays a part in our national team selections...