• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Bermuda

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
ANd yet SRi Lanka have won only 2 of their last 10 games against the Indians.....including losing their most recent series. Yes I know Murali and Vaas were missing but India were also not playing their first eleven in that series.

Can't honestly see how India are "far worse".
India aren't "far worse", and the SL side who got thumped a while back is seemingly very different to the side of the last 10 months.

What I took exception to was classing SL as one of the minnows. They're not.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously think SL should consider squad rotation against Bermuda, to make use of it as another practice match.

So My choice against Bermuda would be -

Atapattu
Arnold
Mahela
Sangakkara
Chamara Silva
Dilshan
Maharoof
Vaas
Bandara
Dilhara Fernando
Kulsekera

That would mean Sanath, Tharanga, Murali and Malinga will not play. But that would give the guys who are struggling to get runs (ie Mahela, Atapattu,Arnold) a longer time in the middle , while Dilhara, Bandara, Kulasekera will get a go.

dinu23

International Debutant
I seriously think SL should consider squad rotation against Bermuda, to make use of it as another practice match.

Atapattu
Arnold
Mahela
Sangakkara
Chamara Silva
Dilshan
Maharoof
Vaas
Bandara
Dilhara Fernando
Kulsekera

That would mean Sanath, Tharanga, Murali and Malinga will not play. But that would give the guys who are struggling to get runs (ie Mahela, Atapattu,Arnold) a longer time in the middle , while Dilhara, Bandara, Kulasekera will get a go.
thats not a bad idea...

Laurrz

International Debutant
Leverock to take 6 wicket haul and restrict Lankans to 180 all out where they chase it down within 45 overs

:P ;)

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
JASON thats a good side you have put up there, i agree that side for Bermuda but their second minnow match against Bangladesh should be full strength IMO.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year

Atapattu
Arnold
Mahela
Sangakkara
Chamara Silva
Dilshan
Maharoof
Vaas
Bandara
Dilhara Fernando
Kulsekera

That is never,ever going to happen.Why take a risk?.Especially against an unknown quantity albeat Bermuda are a very poor side.If you take out these 4 players it will severely weaken the X1.This IMO would be disrespecting the so-called "minnows"

adharcric

International Coach
That is never,ever going to happen.Why take a risk?.Especially against an unknown quantity albeat Bermuda are a very poor side.If you take out these 4 players it will severely weaken the X1.This IMO would be disrespecting the so-called "minnows"
As far as I'm concerned, you usually go out there to defeat the opposition and strengthen your team, not respect the opposition.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
As far as I'm concerned, you usually go out there to defeat the opposition and strengthen your team, not respect the opposition.
Yes I meant they should play as strong a side as possible.But not rest certain players just because it was Bermuda.This is a WC and not a warm up match.

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Atapattu
Arnold
Mahela
Sangakkara
Chamara Silva
Dilshan
Maharoof
Vaas
Bandara
Dilhara Fernando
Kulsekera

I very much doubt that the SL selectors are ever going to rest four key players in one match. They're rather conservative in that regard and although we have seen them resting one or two players in recent matches I don't think they will go so far as to rest 4 players. And Arnold is not struggling for runs. He got ~65 in one match against India recently and saved Sri Lanka's neck.

Another way to look at this is that if they play a full strength team then they can finish the match early and gain a breather that way. :)

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
the way that things are shaping up with mahela it looks like it will be a repeat of the last WC:ph34r:
Well there is one difference with Mahela this year and that is that he is making a major contribution as a captain. The guy has got to be the smartest SL captain since Ranatunga.

JBH001

International Regular
True, however he really does need to get some runs this time around as there is a fragility about the Sri Lankan side that I do not like seeing.

I believe 3 is the best spot for him at the moment, as it allows him time to settle in and build an innings - he is by no means an instant dasher. Moreover, if Marvan is unable to make it as an opener then I doubt that he should be batting lower down. His position should be somewhere 1 - 3 certainly not any less. Sanga should take the 4 spot and Silva should take the 5 spot with Dilshan/Arnold to follow and so on.

One thing does give me a little hope though. The fact that Mahela has been having a poor run of form for a while now may mean that he is due some form - and that that form may come about at the ideal time, that is right in the business end of the WC.
*crosses fingers*

I do believe though that this SL side is being over-rated in this competition. Mahela returning to form would go a good deal towards rectifying that.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Should've been a second too, simple chance dropped by Leverock.

Edit: plumb LBW turned down, Mukuddem again.

Last edited: