• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gary Kirsten vs Alistair Cook

Better Opener

• Total voters

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Cook and Kirsten were both respectable/decent if unspectacular against quality pace and excellent at capitalising when more favoured conditions/attacks were present. Both very good v spin (Cook in particular) and both excellent at grinding. I'd back both to average 50 in a more ideal home country to bat in because they were clinical at not giving it away cheaply.

I go with Kirsten because I think he was a slightly better player of lateral movement, but Cook's marquee overseas performances, equal ability to go big, and Gary not really being anything special v quality pace himself makes it very tight.
Yea I think Cook and Kirsten would probably average around 50 with Hayden’s home conditions