• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

G. Pollock/Rice vs Richards/Procter

Which is the better team core?

• G.Pollock/Rice

• B.Richards/Procter

Results are only viewable after voting.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Which pair of batsman/all-rounder would you rather build an FC team around?

Also, which batsman was better, and which all-rounder was better?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Which pair of batsman/all-rounder would you rather build an FC team around?

Also, which batsman was better, and which all-rounder was better?
Richards and Procter.

Procter was a definite spearhead of an attack - Rice has similar stats to Miller in terms of overs bowled and wpm in FC (Miller ended up bowling a lot more in tests than he did in FC). Procter being a leading bowler is more valuable here.

Procter is the better allrounder for me, the bowling difference is the deciding factor. Their batting difference might even be less than I once thought/assumed taking a closer look at their stats. Both have 48 FC tons, Procter 109 50’s and Rice 137 50’s but Procter scored his in 100 less innings - Rice had a significantly larger amount of not outs.

Pollock is the better batsman for me, has Barry beat on longevity and output in their shared competition. He also performed just as well as him in their shared test series.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Richards and Procter.

Procter was a definite spearhead of an attack - Rice has similar stats to Miller in terms of overs bowled and wpm in FC (Miller ended up bowling a lot more in tests than he did in FC). Procter being a leading bowler is more valuable here.

Procter is the better allrounder for me, the bowling difference is the deciding factor. Their batting difference might even be less than I once thought/assumed taking a closer look at their stats. Both have 48 FC tons, Procter 109 50’s and Rice 137 50’s but Procter scored his in 100 less innings - Rice had a significantly larger amount of not outs.

Pollock is the better batsman for me, has Barry beat on longevity and output in their shared competition. He also performed just as well as him in their shared test series.
I think the gap between Procter and Rice is large enough to overcome the one between Richards and Pollock comfortably; even more so as Rice was more of a 5th and even at times 6th bowler for the latter 2/3 of his career

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Proctor was a bowler who could bat well. Rice was a genuine batting allrounder. Rice unfortunately is very underrated because of his lack of international exposure. Very good captain as well. And G. Pollock was the best batsmen SA has produced to date. So I would probably go Pollock/Rice.

SeamUp

International Coach
Proctor was a bowler who could bat well. Rice was a genuine batting allrounder. Rice unfortunately is very underrated because of his lack of international exposure. Very good captain as well. And G. Pollock was the best batsmen SA has produced to date. So I would probably go Pollock/Rice.
That shouldn't be underestimated. He built his Transvaal team to be uncompromising much like he was as a cricketer. And they stayed at the top for a long time. He then reclaimed the Notts captaincy (after Kerry Packer) and helped win Notts to their first County Championship win since 1929 in 1981. I think he started bowling less later on much like Procter because of niggling injuries.

Eddie Barlow and Clive Rice. Can't think of two bigger cricketing personalities in SA cricket history. Proper leaders.

Some excellent write-ups/interview by who else but Luke Alfred.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
1981 County Championship.

Runs, wickets and captaincy. A true all-rounder. It just seems fair he gets a fair rap.

Obviously Procter is more well known and probably had more x-factor in what he did.

Be lovely to have both. :)

Screenshot_2024-04-26-19-42-07-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2024-04-26-19-40-30-14_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg