• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Four Eras Test Draft Voting

Himannv

International Coach
I am able to break down my opinion on every single team if you'd like
I wouldn't mind hearing that at all. I mean, it's what these voting threads should be like in my view. Having some added insight may change how I look at a team I'm drafting in future.

Even if it's something like "I don't rate player ABC for XYZ reason", it's still feedback I'd consider. It's possible I'd consider and dismiss it, of course, but also possible that I'd think "hmm, maybe ABC is a bit of a weak link in this kind of team and I should get someone better next time".

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
I wouldn't mind hearing that at all. I mean, it's what these voting threads should be like in my view. Having some added insight may change how I look at a team I'm drafting in future.

Even if it's something like "I don't rate player ABC for XYZ reason", it's still feedback I'd consider. It's possible I'd consider and dismiss it, of course, but also possible that I'd think "hmm, maybe ABC is a bit of a weak link in this kind of team and I should get someone better next time".
Well im always willing , and the thing on your team that immediately hit me and was a balance issue is that your entire top 5 is right handers . There is other things but that is why for me , i have gone a bit deeper and there wasn't enough to convince me the team balance issues couldn't be exploited .

capt_Luffy

International Regular

Of your team, I personally only have 2 qualms; and both are relatively minor ones.

1. C B Fry I felt should open with Arthur Shrewsbury and Simpson bat in the middle order. It's just a personal itch as I rate players like Plum Warner and Tom Hayward over Fry and feel if he plays he should open as Simpson spent majority of his career as a middle order batsman. It's a really nit picky one though as Simpson was more than a capable opener and there's nothing really wrong with Fry, just IMO Johnny Tyldesly is better at 3.
2. George Duckworth. He was good keeper but a liability with the bat; but as I saw you really didn't had too many options back then, so I really shouldn't complain.
Overall impression, really a solid and very well balanced team; I just wanted to poke some nit picks.
Edit: As Fuller Pilch stated, Simpson did opened in more matches than not and definitely performed better there. I think then I should just say that, I didn't rate Fry particularly as high Tyldesly, he actually never batted at 3 and him opening was, imo better for team balance.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Well im always willing , and the thing on your team that immediately hit me and was a balance issue is that your entire top 5 is right handers . There is other things but that is why for me , i have gone a bit deeper and there wasn't enough to convince me the team balance issues couldn't be exploited .
He do have Sobers at 6; the greatest lefty batter to ever bat.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
He do have Sobers at 6; the greatest lefty batter to ever bat.
Yea but if the top order is exploited it puts pressure on the team unless there is flexibility etc and the West Indies team Sobers was part of had predominantly left handers and still they had righties in-between . Most of the great team have at least one lefty in the top 3 . Giving your best bowlers the same angles to bowl at is part and partial of balance . You don't want to be 35/4 or something like that . Again just something i value highly .

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Of your team, I personally only have 2 qualms; and both are relatively minor ones.

1. C B Fry I felt should open with Arthur Shrewsbury and Simpson bat in the middle order. It's just a personal itch as I rate players like Plum Warner and Tom Hayward over Fry and feel if he plays he should open as Simpson spent majority of his career as a middle order batsman.
Simpson had 41 of his 62 tests as an opener, averaged about 55 in the role, and scored 8 of his 10 100s opening.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Yea but if the top order is exploited it puts pressure on the team unless there is flexibility etc and the West Indies team Sobers was part of had predominantly left handers and still they had righties in-between . Most of the great team have at least one lefty in the top 3 . Giving your best bowlers the same angles to bowl at is part and partial of balance . You don't want to be 35/4 or something like that . Again just something i value highly .
I personally don't give too much thought to such things and if such a situation arises where a bowler could exploit the right handers; Sobers is more than capable to come down at 3 or 4. It's a batting line-up for an average match, not a time of dread.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Simpson had 41 of his 62 tests as an opener, averaged about 55 in the role, and scored 8 of his 10 100s opening.
Oh God, I was in the wrong there. Simpson did opened in majority of his Tests, I should had just said that I don't rate Fry highly enough to bat at no 3 and thought it was better, IMO, for team balance.

Last edited:

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
I personally don't give too much thought to such things and if such a situation arises where a bowler could exploit the right handers; Sobers is more than capable come down at 3 or 4. It's a batting line-up for an average match, not a time of dread.
Again personnel opinion Sobers isn't the end all of the team and shouldn't be , superstars don't make a team its a collective . If we take your own team which i highly rate , you have a right hand left hand opening combination which i highly rate , might not be by design however its part and partial of how i look at it . Honestly any decent attack would be more comfortable bowling against the same handed batsman with the new ball , the left hand right hand different channel bowling challenge have made many a great bowling attack falter .

Its a personal choice and how i think , hence i refer to all of it as "Balance" . It my first objective in any draft i participate in .

Himannv

International Coach
You know, I didn't really consider that aspect in this draft and I usually only think about it when I'm putting my team together at the end. So that is good feedback. I generally just try to get the best player possible for the position I want so I need to refine my thinking more in this case.

Himannv

International Coach

1. C B Fry I felt should open with Arthur Shrewsbury and Simpson bat in the middle order. It's just a personal itch as I rate players like Plum Warner and Tom Hayward over Fry and feel if he plays he should open as Simpson spent majority of his career as a middle order batsman. It's a really nit picky one though as Simpson was more than a capable opener and there's nothing really wrong with Fry, just IMO Johnny Tyldesly is better at 3.
2. George Duckworth. He was good keeper but a liability with the bat; but as I saw you really didn't had too many options back then, so I really shouldn't complain.
Overall impression, really a solid and very well balanced team; I just wanted to poke some nit picks.
Edit: As Fuller Pilch stated, Simpson did opened in more matches than not and definitely performed better there. I think then I should just say that, I didn't rate Fry particularly as high Tyldesly, he actually never batted at 3 and him opening was, imo better for team balance.
Yeah, my biggest concern with my team was really Fry. I mean, I think he's a very good batsman and probably underrated a little bit compared to similar players, but I think I'd ideally bat him at 4. The thing is I couldn't find a truly great no.3 from the Post-WSC and Kohli was just about the best batsman available at the time (along with YK possibly) so I just picked him and played him in his best position and Fry was the one who had to adjust. FWIW he averages 45 at 4 at a time when bowlers were averaging under 20 with ease and most of those knocks came against Australia.

I'm not too worried about Duckworth's batting and I suppose he might generally come in after Cummins and perhaps even Lillee. I just tend to like seeing my keeper bat 7 and I'm very much an advocate of the 6-1-4 team balance with one of the batsman having the ability to bowl a bit.