• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First/Group Round - Group A - Bangladesh, Netherlands, Ireland, Oman

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not much choices is their though. Mooney retired, and Chase still raw as hell.
Yeah true; Cusack's recently retired as well. Graeme McCarter is probably the best bowler outside the squad and he'd be really unsuited to subcontinent T20 matches too.

The batting hasn't fired lately but I still think it looks pretty solid, at least in non-T20 cricket, and between Dockrell, McBrine and Cameron-Dow they're well covered for spin options too. It's the fast bowling though in which there's been a bit of missing generation after Johnston, Langford-Smith, Mooney etc.

Young, McCarter, Richardson and Sorensen were expected to be much better international options by now than they actually are. I don't think it's so much a case of the talent disappearing as it is just a few key retirements close together and the teams below them improving at a really fast rate, though.

They need to be scoring the counties for cricketers with less chance of playing for England and try to lure them to the dark side.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ronan McDonald showed up for Ireland in the next few years given he can't seem to make the Queensland side. Still young so he'll probably stick at it for a while, but he's already dipped his toe in the water by playing Irish domestic cricket. He's seriously quick when he's 'on'; could be the Irish van der Gugten.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Yeah true; Cusack's recently retired as well. Graeme McCarter is probably the best bowler outside the squad and he'd be really unsuited to subcontinent T20 matches too.

The batting hasn't fired lately but I still think it looks pretty solid, at least in non-T20 cricket, and between Dockrell, McBrine and Cameron-Dow they're well covered for spin options too. It's the fast bowling though in which there's been a bit of missing generation after Johnston, Langford-Smith, Mooney etc.

Young, McCarter, Richardson and Sorensen were expected to be much better international options by now than they actually are. I don't think it's so much a case of the talent disappearing as it is just a few key retirements close together and the teams below them improving at a really fast rate, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ronan McDonald showed up for Ireland in the next few years given he can't seem to make the Queensland side. Still young so he'll probably stick at it for a while, but he's already dipped his toe in the water by playing Irish domestic cricket. He's seriously quick when he's 'on'; could be the Irish van der Gugten.

Their was a few Zimmers over in Ireland a few years trying to get citizenship as well, but they seem to have gone back home or gave up on the idea. I can't recall the names as I type though.

I think Dockrell's progress isn't something they will be that happy with either, as a spinner time is on his side, but a non factor for Somerset these days and hasn't been that great whenever I seen him internationally.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Their was a few Zimmers over in Ireland a few years trying to get citizenship as well, but they seem to have gone back home or gave up on the idea. I can't recall the names as I type though.
Yeah; Craig Ervine and Nathan Waller. The reason they gave it up was more or less just the fact that they didn't perform very well in Irish domestic cricket.

Nick Larkin's a chance if he gets overlooked for a NSW contract again too, I suppose. We'll probably see more of this sort of stuff if they end up playing a few Test matches.

Niall

International Coach
Yeah; Craig Ervine and Nathan Waller. The reason they gave it up was more or less just the fact that they didn't perform very well in Irish domestic cricket.

Nick Larkin's a chance if he gets overlooked for a NSW contract again too, I suppose. We'll probably see more of this sort of stuff if they end up playing a few Test matches.
Didn't know about Waller, but do remember Ervine now trying his luck with Ireland. Peter Moor supposedly tried as well a few years ago as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Moor played a season but ZC were cool with that; he did it for off season development. Ervine and Nathan Waller (cousin of Malcolm) went over there with intentions of eventually playing for Ireland. It was harder than they thought though -- they didn't perform spectacularly and it set about widespread panic on the Zimbabwe Cricket Forum as to the possibility of Irish domestic cricket being stronger than Zimbabwean domestic cricket. I think they just struggled a bit with the conditions though, personally; Irish domestic cricket is its own little world.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I think Dockrell's progress isn't something they will be that happy with either, as a spinner time is on his side, but a non factor for Somerset these days and hasn't been that great whenever I seen him internationally.
Yea Dockrell hardly bowls for Ireland even when he does play, seems to have gone backwards which is a real shame as apart from Rankin the rest of the bowlers are very ordinary.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Yeah Moor played a season but ZC were cool with that; he did it for off season development. Ervine and Nathan Waller (cousin of Malcolm) went over there with intentions of eventually playing for Ireland. It was harder than they thought though -- they didn't perform spectacularly and it set about widespread panic on the Zimbabwe Cricket Forum as to the possibility of Irish domestic cricket being stronger than Zimbabwean domestic cricket. I think they just struggled a bit with the conditions though, personally; Irish domestic cricket is its own little world.
AB was playing Irish domestic cricket just before he was picked for SA. Johan Botha was in the same team iirc.

I'm not surprised we lost today. It hurts but it's a good kick up the arse. We're not the Australia of the Associates anymore, the other non test nations have really kicked on since they started giving their squads full time contracts. The fact a pretty sub par Dutch team today pushed Bangladesh just infuriates me even more that non of these teams will play in England in 2019.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
You could tell Bangladesh players including Tamim were struggling to get use to the conditions here. Lucky win since 150 something is way below par on such a ground. I'm really disappointed that Mustafizur cannot keep fit for T20s; good luck when it comes to bowling at test level. We just don't have the batting quality that India, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand has. Posting and chasing anything over 150 is a tall order for our batsman for sure.

Oman beating Ireland is no shock. Ireland have gone wayward since that win over West Indies at the world cup. They have usually been the undisputed associate side, but that has clearly changed now – I don't think they are even 2nd best anymore. I can't see them beating Bangladesh since they should get accustomed to the conditions by the time they meet. I predict the full members (Zimbabwe & Bangladesh) to go through to the main round for once.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow Oman Wow. Well done. This is the problem with Associate cricket that I have. I feel happy for one team, but then feel sad at the same time for Ireland.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Tomorrow's match will be a tough one for BD. Playing straight up from 30 ft elevation to 8000 ft in Dharamsala is not going to be easy. The Netherlands are in with a good shout.
Yeah but the Dutch had to make the adjustment from -30 ft to 8000 ft

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Oman beating Ireland is no shock. Ireland have gone wayward since that win over West Indies at the world cup. They have usually been the undisputed associate side, but that has clearly changed now – I don't think they are even 2nd best anymore. I can't see them beating Bangladesh since they should get accustomed to the conditions by the time they meet. I predict the full members (Zimbabwe & Bangladesh) to go through to the main round for once.
Actually there's always been one or two associates that get the best of Ireland from time to time, their dominance of associate teams has never been as comprehensive as the Steve Waugh-Ricky Ponting era Aussies was in test cricket. That is what make sthe arbitrary exceptions and rule changes the ICC makes to qualifying for tjeir World Cups so annoying.

Whatever became of Zimbabwe Cricket Forum? I used to post there from time to time.

Stapel

International Regular
They have to! And since it is T20, they will :D .

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Sunny's action is dodgy and should have been reported way earlier. Don't know what's the problem with Taskin's action. Looks fair to me but I am no expert and will wait for the results once the tests are done. No doubt that this will affect them mentally in the middle of a global tournament. This caused a massive backlash in BD and the conspiracy theorists are out in full force.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Very hard to disagree with Bangladesh coach. Something smells fishy...really, every bowler (including part-time) should be tested within six months. I predict the full members to go through to the main round. Zimbabwe had enough experience in Bangladesh, so they should hold-off Afghanistan.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Very hard to disagree with Bangladesh coach. Something smells fishy...really, every bowler (including part-time) should be tested within six months. I predict the full members to go through to the main round. Zimbabwe had enough experience in Bangladesh, so they should hold-off Afghanistan.
Afghanistan have become a real bogey team for Zimbabwe though. They've lost all four of their T20Is against them and five of their last ODIs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sunny's action is dodgy and should have been reported way earlier. Don't know what's the problem with Taskin's action. Looks fair to me but I am no expert and will wait for the results once the tests are done. No doubt that this will affect them mentally in the middle of a global tournament. This caused a massive backlash in BD and the conspiracy theorists are out in full force.
I'd really like to see most fast bowlers tested in general, especially given the tests that forced the rule change in the first place suggested players like Pollock and McGrath were borderline even under the rules we have now. I'm not really sure why Taskin specifically has been singled out though; he looks fine to me. Finn would've been a better start IMO.