• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite 100's

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Ok, Im going for big shock value here and saying Martyn's 104 in Chennai. Absolutely saved the game, and in hindsight, the series.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
Laxmans 281.

They recently showed a video of Tendulkars century in Perth 91(?)....the shots he played....must be his best century ever in terms of the pitch, attack and quality of shots...and he was just 19.
For sheer quality of the stroke play and purity of technique, it probably was the greatest innings I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them over 40 years. And you are right, coming from a teenager, it was astonishing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
For sheer quality of the stroke play and purity of technique, it probably was the greatest innings I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them over 40 years. And you are right, coming from a teenager, it was astonishing.
My dad talks about that all the time, along with a ODI during that same tour where Sachin was told to 'calm down' by Kapil Dev after he was smashing the ball all around the park. I truly wish I was old enough to watch cricket on a consistent basis those days.

I await a best of Sachin Tendulkar DVD when he unfortunately has to hang the boots up and retire. I'd love to watch highlights of that innings. I need to track down a tape of that too :happy:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
My favourite ODI innings is Stephen Fleming's hundred against South Africa in the 2003 World Cup. If ever a captain's innings was required, that was it. I have never seen Fleming play before with that dominance or since probably. That was a brilliant innings. As it helped get us into the the Super Sixes. Other then that there have been some great Chris Cairns hundreds that I have enjoyed.
That was the best 100 I have had the pleasure of seeing, but obviously not my favourite!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Except it wouldn't have happened but for Boucher's incompetance... surely you've seen chanceless 100s...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BlackCap_Fan said:
Nathan Astle's 222 Vs England. Off 179 balls I believe, with the 200 off 153 balls. He really mauled them.
If anyone ever plays a better innings in my lifetime I'll be truly astounded.
Never seen anyone hit the ball anything like that well for that long.
Totally incredible.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
O but richard - apparently there was no pressure in that match - which astle scored his hundred - opps double hundred. Why are some brits such sour wanks?

Langeveldt - what was it like watching as a SA'n? I have seen many innings against NZ of brilliance and although I hate the *******s - i.e. Bevan v NZ over the years - I have to admitt how awesome he plays. Seems like one certain englishman on here can't appreciate great innings' when played against his own team. Think he has talentless big brother syndrom. Can't stand to see the last bastian of british 'dominance' dominate his far land. Such a joke.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blakey said:
O **** didn't realise marc was from england. Explains everything. Muppet
Hint, by the side of a user-name is a person's location. It helps to look at it. Muppet.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Hint, by the side of a user-name is a person's location. It helps to look at it. Muppet.
Marc why don't you just reply to everyone. You make ridiculous comments about Nathen Astle which comes across as sour grapes and then when people try to contest your comments you seem to just ignore them.. is this a sign of defeat..i suggest this is the case

Link

State Vice-Captain
Probally the best knock ive ever seen, and i hate to admit it was by an aussie. Ricky Ponting's 140 in the WC final was the greatest in the context of strokeplay, and the situation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If situation is the key factor 100s aren't fair - there have been many innings of less than 100 which have been far better in terms of importance than any 100 ever scored.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
If situation is the key factor 100s aren't fair - there have been many innings of less than 100 which have been far better in terms of importance than any 100 ever scored.
Well start another thread then young man!

Instead of "Favourite 100s", why not call it "key innings of any score where situation is the key factor"?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Well start another thread then young man!

Instead of "Favourite 100s", why not call it "key innings of any score where situation is the key factor"?
I'm no great fan of these "let's list 50 such-and-such's then have 2 or 3 people argue over 1 of them" threads personally.
I don't have any question in my mind that Nathan Astle's was the best innings I've ever seen - it wasn't even, really, my favourite, though I was delighted that Gilchrist's inaccurately-championed innings a couple of weeks previously had been so quickly, spectacularly and magnificently trumped.
My favourite was actually Alec Stewart's at Old Trafford in 2002, because it proved so many people wrong when I wanted them to be proven wrong with perhaps more desire than I've ever wanted anything in cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah - game had finished just before he hit the 4 consecutive fours that brought the thing up! Fantastic timing; not surprising, though, he always had that sense of inevitability about some knocks (eg 100 in 100th Test on Queen Mother's 100th birthday).
Anyway, some people (me, for instance) saw the whole thing anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I presume everyone in the ground was watching - those watching the Denmark game had filed out had they not?