• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Fab five' told to plan for retirement

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gooch? Almost defined good but non-exceptional until after the age you note.
There's exceptions to all rules. Gooch was indeed good between the ages of 25 and 35, then superlative between those of 36 and 40.

Jack Hobbs was another, of course - and an even more remarkable case.

I did say "most" and not "all".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're not old when there are four people in your team older than you. All about context my friend.
Nah, I don't think it is. 34 is 34 regardless of whether there are 37- and 38-year-olds in the team.

James

Cricket Web Owner
If some of you think I was trolling, I'm sorry you thought that, but that certainly wasn't what I was attempting to do.

After I read the article earlier yesterday, it made me think about five great cricketers I've enjoyed watching over the years. Especially with India's tours of New Zealand and I thought others might want to comment on some wonderful players careers.

archie mac

International Coach
I would not worry about it James, I don''t think anyone thought that you were trolling for a moment (well maybe one or two:wacko: )

It should be remembered what happened to Aust when they lost Lillee, Chappell and Marsh all at the same time. CA have stated that they will do their best to make sure that does not happen again, and that was three players not five:)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The whole situation has left a bitter taste among fans who have admired these 5 players over last 15-20 years and we should understand why some members get upset when it gets brought up even when the intention is honest.

Anil Kumble said best on the issue :-

“We have been playing for 18 years and if we couldn’t handle pressure, we wouldn’t have played (for) so long. It is just that the scrutiny needs to be a bit more respectful.When people discuss cricketers, it needs to be handled respectfully and if that is done then we don’t mind the scrutiny but when it is done in a rubbish way, then it hurts.
As sportsmen, we go out there to perform and win for the country and we have been doing that for the last 18 years”

http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/03/stories/2008100357381800.htm

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What about if they'd all prefer to go together as they have so often played together?

I think if they'd like to do this they should be allowed to. And (as Martin says in the post direct above this) if they could do it after a series against Australia, well, there is no better way possible to go for mine.
What do you mean 'allowed' to? It's not a dictatorship, they can quit whenever they want. The question is what should BCCI encourage? If they are at the point where the selection of all five isn't warranted, they need to have a plan so that the team just doesn't lose 600 wickets and 40000 runs worth of experience in one sitting.

If you stagger it over two years, you have some time to try out replacements, and while this is happening, they have the benefit of the experiences, and you minimize the radical changes. So by the time the last one leaves, you hopefully have 2-3 settled replacements.

archie mac

International Coach
The whole situation has left a bitter taste among fans who have admired these 5 players over last 15-20 years and we should understand why some members get upset when it gets brought up even when the intention is honest.

Anil Kumble said best on the issue :-

“We have been playing for 18 years and if we couldn’t handle pressure, we wouldn’t have played (for) so long. It is just that the scrutiny needs to be a bit more respectful.When people discuss cricketers, it needs to be handled respectfully and if that is done then we don’t mind the scrutiny but when it is done in a rubbish way, then it hurts.
As sportsmen, we go out there to perform and win for the country and we have been doing that for the last 18 years”

http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/03/stories/2008100357381800.htm
Players as a rule are retiring later and later. Is it because of money?, And I expect more and more players are going to have to be pushed rather then jump

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well they've probably been told to think about when they want to retire TBH can't have all 5 leaving at once.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Players as a rule are retiring later and later. Is it because of money?, And I expect more and more players are going to have to be pushed rather then jump
If their selection isn't warranted based on performance, they should be dropped. The problem is leaking this crap out to the media. Handle it professionally and privately. In the five, four are past and current Test captains. Use a little dignity, instead of playing dirty games in the media.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Probably money plays a role. I think the players are fitter too, so their bodies can last a little longer.

archie mac

International Coach
If their selection isn't warranted based on performance, they should be dropped. The problem is leaking this crap out to the media. Handle it professionally and privately. In the five, four are past and current Test captains. Use a little dignity, instead of playing dirty games in the media.
I agree with all of that, but do you think that players are holding on longer because of the money?

When I was a boy8-)

They mostly (Aust) retired at the age of 30 or even younger:)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree with all of that, but do you think that players are holding on longer because of the money?

When I was a boy8-)

I think back then, it was the reverse financial incentive. Basically, it was not feasible to support your family and live comfortably on cricket income so they decided to quit while they were still in their prime to get on to raising a family.

Sports stars, if they don't make enough to live comfortably, are in a very tough position. They sometimes don't have any other skill, or have to start from scratch in another career, and while their friends and most other people are starting to hit their prime earning years during about the mid thirties, they are just starting out. And especially if they grew up in a cricket bubble where their entire life consisted of cricket, it's a really tough position.

So now, when people know that money is good, and many know that they probably don't have careers in media and coaching, they try to hang on as long as possible to try to secure a future for themselves and their family before their body finally gives out. Obviously, neither of the fab five are in that type of position, but many other cricketers would be, especially the life-time FC players who never got the big contracts and endorsements at the national level.

I really can't blame either position, because I'd likely do the same in both eras.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As far as International cricket is concerned, I am not sure if there is a way to come to that conclusion except our own perceptions. But even if we agree that is the case, I see nothing wrong with a player trying to make the most of his playing career.

It is not their job to drop themselves, if they are continued to get picked ahead of more deserving players then it is the system that picks them needs retirement.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Stupid that people think James was trolling. Absurd accusation.

Now, who will be their replacements? I think Sharma and Badrinath will take two of the batting roles, but I don't know enough about India's lower grades to pick the rest.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Common AM, let's not hold that against cricketers.

When I was a boy8-)

Let's see, looking at some of the top players of last 30 years :-

Geoff Boycott 41 when retired,
Imran Khan - 40
Richards, Border, Javed Miandad - 39
Gooch - 42
Gavaskar, Sobers - 38

Infact looking at the retirement age of some the greats of the past and it seems that 36-40 is the standard pretty much across all eras.