• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's 2005 Ashes side vs England 2023 'Bazball' Ashes side.

Who wins?

• 2005 team

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • 2023 team

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

number11

State 12th Man
We can never forget 2005, and the new Bazball style is fabulous viewing. Who do you think would win if the Eng team in the 05 series played the 2023 vintage?

91Jmay

International Coach
We can never forget 2005, and the new Bazball style is fabulous viewing. Who do you think would win if the Eng team in the 05 series played the 2023 vintage?
05 wins but closer than people would probably think. That team had some ordinary players but seam bowlers would blow this lot away I think, despite them having better batting. Only Tresco was a top player in the lineup really.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Did this during the series but now it’s finished, and based purely off output in the series here’s my composite XI

Trescothick
Crawley
Stokes*
Root
Pietersen
Flintoff
Bairstow+
Ali
Woakes
Broad
S Jones

Disagree with my attack if you want but it was harder to leave Wood out than Hoggard or Harmison.

05 team more than the sum of its parts for me.

loterry1994

International Debutant
2005 side they ended a long ashes drought against one the best Aussie sides ever. The 2023 side didn’t even win at home. Hard to compare the two also as the Bazball era hasn’t went on long enough yeah they’ve had a good year. The 2005 side didn’t last too long also.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah if we go by career then 2023 might edge it but it is still pretty close

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Root
Pietersen
Stokes
Bairstow
Flintoff
Ali
Broad
Anderson

Bats deep

Of course if we look at careers in a few years time then Brook will hopefully make it.

2010 is quite obviously a long way ahead of both.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah if we go by career then 2023 might edge it but it is still pretty close

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Root
Pietersen
Stokes
Bairstow
Flintoff
Ali
Broad
Anderson

Bats deep

Of course if we look at careers in a few years time then Brook will hopefully make it.

2010 is quite obviously a long way ahead of both.
I think '23 do have better players but think '05 was a more cohesive unit that excuted in big moments pretty consistently. Wasn't just Aus win, also beat a good saffer side away as well as a half decent windies team away during that period.

Strauss
Trescothick
Vaughan
Root
KP
Freddie
Stokes
Read
Broad
Leach
Jones

Out of the box, but both Freddie and Stokes are worse lower down and Read is one of the best pure keepers we've ever produced. Leach is getting underrated here I think, considerably better bowler than Mo.

No swing bowler feels weird af though. Tempted by Hoggy for Jones because of that. Would have basically 3 reverse swing/older ball seamers.

Ali TT

International Debutant
The only thing that team was really missing was Flintoff or Stokes
Obviously you'd drop Collingwood but would you include one of the all-rounders or Root in his place? That batting lineup was in such insane form that it would be hard to argue Root goes ahead of any of the top 5.

Guess you could swap out Bresnan/Finn for Flintoff, Simon Jones or maybe even Woakes (who'd probably find an overseas wicket to his liking at the 2010 MCG) and maybe Wood for Tremlett but none of those choices are locked in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Obviously you'd drop Collingwood but would you include one of the all-rounders or Root in his place? That batting lineup was in such insane form that it would be hard to argue Root goes ahead of any of the top 5.

Guess you could swap out Bresnan/Finn for Flintoff, Simon Jones or maybe even Woakes (who'd probably find an overseas wicket to his liking at the 2010 MCG) and maybe Wood for Tremlett but none of those choices are locked in.
Oh I’d pick Root over anyone really, I just meant that either side of our best team this century we’ve had top-class all-rounders that would get into any Test side but that team never had one.

Composite 2005/10-11/23 team

Cook
Strauss (10-11 version)
Trott
Root
Pietersen
Stokes
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Simon Jones
Anderson

That was tough and I have edited it about nine times but 1-5 picks itself

Actually if we’re going purely on the series maybe Bell does get in for Root

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh I’d pick Root over anyone really, I just meant that either side of our best team this century we’ve had top-class all-rounders that would get into any Test side but that team never had one.

Composite 2005/10-11/23 team

Cook
Strauss (10-11 version)
Trott
Root
Pietersen
Stokes
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Simon Jones
Anderson

That was tough and I have edited it about nine times but 1-5 picks itself

Actually if we’re going purely on the series maybe Bell does get in for Root
Jones over Broad? Wasn't Broad vital in both 2010 and 2023? Just wondering

slowfinger

International Debutant
think the recurring theme of this series was how poor the standard of cricket actually was. That wasn't the case in the 05 Ashes. England beat an OZ side almost at their best. England nearly beat an Australia side the worst I have seen them in recent memory here. Therefore I don't think it's fair the compare the two series really.

subshakerz

International Coach
think the recurring theme of this series was how poor the standard of cricket actually was. That wasn't the case in the 05 Ashes. England beat an OZ side almost at their best. England nearly beat an Australia side the worst I have seen them in recent memory here. Therefore I don't think it's fair the compare the two series really.
Their pace bowling wasn't though. Outside of the 1st test, it was worse that Aussie 2023.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Not convinced this is the worst Australian side to come to these shores in recent years. 2009, 13 and 15 were all pretty mediocre.