• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Performance Squad

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Would take Shreck, Chapple, Lewry, Bresnan and probably Pattinson over him at the moment tbh.

The figures of his really don't lie, if as others have said he can actually bowl economically and get wickets at not too high an average then maybe there's something to work from.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Should re-name the thread "bag Sajid Mahmood".

He's been picked on a gut feeling similar to the one that saw Simon Jones, Stephen Harmison, Liam Plunkett & Amjad Khan called up when other players have better records. He's quick(ish), moves the new and old ball in the air & can get bounce too. The problem is that he struggles to land the ball on the cut strip at times.

It's probably wishful thinking he's in the squad, but it's a squad of 25 players; it's not like he's in the starting Ashes XI.

Of the seamers GIMH listed from Div One how many are honestly better chances for tests? Davies? Maybe Joseph at a stretch? It's (at best) a questionable pick, but one can see the thinking behind it at least. Obviously someone thinks he can have consistency coached into him; I don't think I agree, really but equally I don't think the pick was woeful enough to justify 40-odd posts about how dire he is either.
If few of the players in Corrin's list are worthy of consideration for Tests, where does that put Mahmood, who was outperformed by every single player on that list?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If few of the players in Corrin's list are worthy of consideration for Tests, where does that put Mahmood, who was outperformed by every single player on that list?
Yeah, my point isnt that the others are Test class. My point is that this good season that Saj supposedly had in 2008 is a complete myth. If that is the basis for progress then he is a sorry case.

Last edited:

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I would absolutely love it if this MCC match get's washed out and Vaughan, Key and Bell don't get to bat. Would be hilarious.

Also here's hoping for Blackwell to have a spectacular year at Durham! Go Dynamos!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He offers, as Bob Willis suggests, something different (pace, movement, bounce). I wouldn't have him in my team, but there is at least some sort of rationale behind him being there. He's only picked for, after all, a performance squad. The remit of which, I imagine, is to measure the performances of players who might be worthy of consideration.

His inclusion is really not as mystifying as taking Rashid to the Windies and then roundly ignoring him and having to call up two players from the Loins who actually did play.

My expectations of our selectors are low and I don't think Mahmood will be a success in tests, but, as I said, Trott's exclusion is a far worse call than his inclusion IMHO and that hasn't had anywhere near the discussion.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
He offers, as Bob Willis suggests, something different (pace, movement, bounce). I wouldn't have him in my team, but there is at least some sort of rationale behind him being there. He's only picked for, after all, a performance squad. The remit of which, I imagine, is to measure the performances of players who might be worthy of consideration.

His inclusion is really not as mystifying as taking Rashid to the Windies and then roundly ignoring him and having to call up two players from the Loins who actually did play.

My expectations of our selectors are low and I don't think Mahmood will be a success, but, as I said, Trott's exclusion is a far worse call than he inclusion IMHO and that hasn't had anywhere near the discussion.
Well Mahmood's getting a bit of tap in this match, apparently his only wicket was a bit lucky too, similar to his test dismissals...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I also dont see the bounce aspect that people talk about. He doesnt usually appear to extract much.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Edwards is an average bowler, and its unlikely he will ever be anything else. His overall record is poor, however, with Edwards its important to consider that he does bring an X-factor to the side that is very important and makes him very unique. When Edwards is good, he is damn near unplayable and we all know that he has spells where has made made some of the best batters in the world look clueless and hop around. However, these spells are more or less balanced out by spells of mediocrity where he bowls with little direction (which is typically the case with Slingers) and/or brain power. But the important point is that he, like Malinga from SL, offers something different to the rest of the side and this is why Lara was always a huge advocate for having him in the side while he was captain..

Getting back to Mahmood, there is no point comparing him to Edwards because Edwards regularly bowls at or above 90mph. Mahmood, has only displayed this ability when the stars are aligned in this favor and we all know that by and large he was mid-high 80s. This isnt going to trouble anyone when there is little direction involved. If Mahmood was a Shaun Tait, I would say bring him in the side. But, when we have Harmison, Flintoff and Anderson who are all just as quick and quite a bit more skillful this seems rather pointless.
:thumbs_up

FAWTA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My expectations of our selectors are low and I don't think Mahmood will be a success in tests, but, as I said, Trott's exclusion is a far worse call than his inclusion IMHO and that hasn't had anywhere near the discussion.
That's probably because we're long since used to it by now. I guess most people have given-up on Trott's ODI chances.

FBU

International Debutant
Tremlett should be the bowler with pace and bounce but his injury record isn't very good. I find it interesting that he is named in the provisional 20/20 WC squad but not in the 25 man Performance Squad which allows the selectors to monitor players during the season. It seems they have given up on his fitness in the longer form of the game and feel 4 over spells wouldn't be to taxing.

Sidebottom, Harmison and Khan bowled 142.4 overs between them and took 6 wickets in the West Indies at 75.00. Harmison and Sidebottom playing in 2 Tests each and Khan in 1. Why they were in the squad I don't know when Sidebottom hadn't played for 6 months, Harmison was unfit and bowling in the low 80s and Khan had bowled 145 overs in two years.

We are looking to find a combination of bowlers who all offer something different but we might have to settle with finding 4 fit fast bowlers whatever their style of bowling who can bowl long spells over a series of Tests and stay fit.

tooextracool

International Coach
Of the seamers GIMH listed from Div One how many are honestly better chances for tests? Davies? Maybe Joseph at a stretch? It's (at best) a questionable pick, but one can see the thinking behind it at least. Obviously someone thinks he can have consistency coached into him; I don't think I agree, really but equally I don't think the pick was woeful enough to justify 40-odd posts about how dire he is either.
Personally think that Hoggard, Pattinson, Jones, Ali, Davies, even Woakes should all be ahead of him provided that they are fit. Then theres Harmison, Anderson, Sidebottom, Broad and Flintoff. Mahmood is 11th in line and thats the reason why everyone here seems to have a little ill-will against him given that he keeps making 30 man squads etc ahead of far superior players.

tooextracool

International Coach

Yes that is true, and Saj Mahmood's selection in 06/07 was definetly somewhat justified in the tests that he played in. However, AFAIC hes been a failure at the international level and nothing has changed since so any calls to have him at the international level, based on the same reasoning as the last time he played (potential to cause problems with pace, bounce and movement) seems somewhat unjustified.