• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you rate Mitchell Johnson?

Do you rate Mitchell Johnson?

• Total voters

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Why oh why did I pick today to finally vocalise my thoughts on Johnson?!

Ok ok maybe he's all right.... Haha.

Redbacks

International Captain
Question is, can he do something similar again?

as in, accurate bowling and wickets, although 7 for each innings would be welcome :p

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, actually, I've been a bit of a Mitch basher in the past - I've never doubted that he has the potential, but haven't been pleased with some of the lines and thinking I've seen from him. Very nice to see him produce what its appeared to many he could one day do - at a perfect time for the team as well. I wanted to see him really produce against decent opposition in conditions that weren't tailor-made for him, before I'd rate him - he's done so, so now I guess I rate him! :)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The main criticism of Johnson is that he only moves the ball away from right-handers so they don't have to play unless he goes over the stumps (and he rarely does). Which is fair enough, but he gets wickets anyway because batsmen don't seem to catch on. Plus he's a beast against lefties when he bowls like he did today.

pasag

RTDAS
Didn't expect the wickets to come this quickly. I've always maintained he'll come good in the future but after his abysmal WI tour I thought he was done for the short term. Very happy for him. He'll back up this haul with a 50 in the second innings as well.

Craig

World Traveller
Didn't expect the wickets to come this quickly. I've always maintained he'll come good in the future but after his abysmal WI tour I thought he was done for the short term. Very happy for him. He'll back up this haul with a 50 in the second innings as well.
Open the batting and get a hundred imo.

Talmier

Cricket Spectator
I never really rated Mitchell Johnson that much before today. He always seemed to be riding the wave Dennis Lillie started for him. I thought he should have gone back to domestic cricket a while ago to find some form.

However I still think a question remains as to being able to back it up. He's so hot and cold theres a chance he won't even look like getting another three for a ten for.

Intrestingly enough Brett Lee has no 10 for after 75 tests

However I seem to think RSA threw away their wickets a little

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think anyone saw 7 wickets coming, but I think the criticisms of Johnson have been a bit much for a while now. People keep saying "all he does is bowl wide half-volleys and get lucky", but the reality is that at a certain point you have to accept that a bowler is just more difficult to play than they might appear on television. Even after the India tour where he was Australia's best front-line bowler you had Australian fans writing him off as lucky and saying things like "anyone who thinks Johnson bowled decently didn't watch the series".

Not every delivery has to swing in two feet and clean bowl a batsman to be worthy of a wicket, and for a fair while now Johnson has been taking wickets with the same sorts of deliveries. Pitched up at around driving length to a right-hander and angling across being the main one. It might not be that glamorous but it's been shown to be pretty effective. He's not as consistent as he could be and being that erratic means he's a long way from being a great bowler, but he's definitely been proven as a wicket taking bowler for mine.

McNamara's post comparing him to Ntini is a good one too, another somewhat deceptive bowler.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
Not sure why people would think a left-hander is crap if he can't swing the ball in. Never seems to come up for RH bowlers. There are a ton of great bowlers who couldn't swing the ball.

Talmier

Cricket Spectator
I don't think its so much that they are crap more so that top quality left hand bowlers who can swing the ball in can produce those unplayable in swinging yorkers to the right hand batsman.

It doesn't come up as much I beleive because most right hand bowlers swing the ball out to right hand batsmen which is into a left hander.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not a Johnson lover or hater but I feel he has still much to prove. He's really only been successful (thus far) against two sides and only at home. Personally, I still think it's too soon to say he's in the green and that he is our future and we should persist with him.

The Ken Legends

Cricket Spectator
I never did rate him highly until the first innings he bowled against RSA in Perth which was sensational. Previously he was to short and wide,lets just he can continue to bowl that line and length.

The Ken Legends

Cricket Spectator
I never really rated Mitchell Johnson that much before today. He always seemed to be riding the wave Dennis Lillie started for him. I thought he should have gone back to domestic cricket a while ago to find some form.

However I still think a question remains as to being able to back it up. He's so hot and cold theres a chance he won't even look like getting another three for a ten for.

Intrestingly enough Brett Lee has no 10 for after 75 tests

However I seem to think RSA threw away their wickets a little
Dont you think there was some great bowling by johnson and some very good catches by Haddin.