• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW'S 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time (voting now open)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
seconded

chappell, greg
flower, andy
gower, david
holding, michael
kallis, jacques
kumble, anil
lillee, dennis
marshall, malcolm
mcdermott, craig
sobers, garfield
streak, heath
walsh, courtney
waugh, steve

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
seconded

chappell, greg
flower, andy
gower, david
kumble, anil
lillee, dennis
mcdermott, craig
sobers, garfield
streak, heath
walsh, courtney
waugh, steve
You can only second 4 players at this stage, which 4 would you like?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'll update the list when I get on a better computer later on today.

My last nomination will be Arjuna Ranatunga.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Nominate Geoff Marsh (no seriously, look at his record!) and Kris Srikkanth.

Second Michael Holding.

gvenkat

State Captain
I would probably include a criteria like a minimum of 100 games to be short-listed. Seriously does not make sense to include people who have not played at least 100 matches.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would probably include a criteria like a minimum of 100 games to be short-listed. Seriously does not make sense to include people who have not played at least 100 matches.
Yeah it looks like Sobers will make it despite play the grand sum of one ODI game.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Rules out some very good players from the 1980s. Think 100 is far too many, ITBT.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
For every person who thinks 100 matches, another person will think 50 or 75 matches is enough.

The good thing is that you can select players who have played a minimum of 100 matches still.

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
Seems like I have one more second left so will use it up to give Sobers a chance in this competition.

gvenkat

State Captain
Rules out some very good players from the 1980s. Think 100 is far too many, ITBT.
Like who? ODI cricket evolved in the 1990's and players started adapting from then on. People playing the ODI's in the 70's and 80's were just so averse of it and did not really adapt to the game.. If any I would only select players from the 90's. Apart from Kapil Dev, Joel Garner, Allan Border, Dean Jones not many are worth their salt and these 4 have played atleast 100 games.

It does not make sense to select players with less than 100 games. At least 75 should be a criteria. If i had to nominate i would not select people who have not played 100 games.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I thought about seconding him and changed my mind. I think the logic is that he is one of the better players to ever play the game - so since he played an ODI he must be one of the top 50 ODI players. I concluded however that he should be judged just on his ODI appearances.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough - I strongly disagree because I think that this should be about performances in ODI kallisball, but they're your nominations, not mine. :)