• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 100 Greatest Cricketers Poll

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jasprit Bumrah
Lance Gibbs
Graeme Smith
Matthew Hayden
Charles Macartney
Brian Statham
Eddie Barlow
Alec Bedser
Kagiso Rabada
Frank Woolley

howitzer

State Captain
A very good suggestion, but as each round had 10 nominees, don't want to change that now. And tbh, I actually wanted a 101 list when I began..... So will keep it that way unless a few more regular voters asks me to do otherwise (still will be 10 votes just will rank 9, or wil ignore the last vote from everyone). So for now, vote for 10 players please.
I'd play a top 200 but I know we'd end up with too few voters.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I'd play a top 200 but I know we'd end up with too few voters.
Yeah, the no of voters is already quite dwindling or else a 150 was at least very much possible. Okay, if at least 10 regular voters say yes, I will make it 150; as less than 10 would lead to big gulfs.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It is a very good thread and a very interesting read. don't be tempted to stretch it beyond 100, please.
you can do a top 100 ODI cricketers in a separate thread. but this thread is perfect as top 100.
Agree with this.

sayon basak

State Vice-Captain
It is a very good thread and a very interesting read. don't be tempted to stretch it beyond 100, please.
you can do a top 100 ODI cricketers in a separate thread. but this thread is perfect as top 100.
Btw it was not 100 greatest test cricketers only.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Perhaps it should be. The optional choice of criteria in the OP gives greater flexibility, but it helps if voters were on the same page.
Somewhat agree but felt while comparing cricketers of such varied roles and across such a long time frame, it was tough for most voters to be on the same page. I just wanted to enact a list of 100 cricketers among whom the term Great can be bestowed overall.

howitzer

State Captain
Somewhat agree but felt while comparing cricketers of such varied roles and across such a long time frame, it was tough for most voters to be on the same page. I just wanted to enact a list of 100 cricketers among whom the term Great can be bestowed overall.
Perhaps making it 'long-format' rather than just Tests but leaving OD/T20 to one side might have been an option to still get in a few players who didn't play (enough) Tests for one reason or another.

sayon basak

State Vice-Captain
IPerhaps making it 'long-format' than just Tests but leaving OD/T20 to one side might have been an option to still get in a few players who didn't play (enough) Tests for one reason or another.
Yeah if it were only tests WG would be cooked

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Perhaps making it 'long-format' rather than just Tests but leaving OD/T20 to one side might have been an option to still get in a few players who didn't play (enough) Tests for one reason or another.
It would had, but I didn't wanted to ignore the shorter formats, which often gets ignored and wanted the multi format greats (Viv, Sachin, McGrath, Akram) to get their due credit.

howitzer

State Captain
It would had, but I didn't wanted to ignore the shorter formats, which often gets ignored and wanted the multi format greats (Viv, Sachin, McGrath, Akram) to get their due credit.
Fair enough by me. I kind of sees the level of import each poster provides to each format. You were providing quite a high emphasis on limited overs, some weren't considering it at all, and I was just kind of using it to embellish an already very good long format career e.g. I would normally have Root ahead of Kohli as a Test cricketer but not by much and Kohli's ODI career just tipped the balance for me in voting him ahead here. I wasn't giving limited overs more than around 10% consideration though.

ma1978

International Debutant
Aravinda de Silva
Jasprit Bumrah
Graeme Smith
Hashim Amla
Mathew Hayden
Inzamam Ul Haq
Kevin Pietersen
Kagiso Rabada
Derek Underwood
Mahela Jayawardene

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps it should be. The optional choice of criteria in the OP gives greater flexibility, but it helps if voters were on the same page.
Disagree. We on CW are a bit tunnel visioned by this and suffer from group think. It's good once in a while to ease up the "nothing but test" criterion and look at cricket broadly. Allows Grace and Dhoni to appear on the list. It's a good thing.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Sanath Jayasuriya
Stan McCabe
Charlie Macartney
Clive Rice
Jasprit Bumrah
Graham Gooch
Tony Greig
Alec Bedser
Eddie Barlow
Derek Underwood

ma1978

International Debutant
Interesting though that people were happy to consider other formats when it came to Grace but not really with LO cricket. Not my view as I think it takes a lot more skill to play modern LO cricket than 19th century FC but an interesting observation.