• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks the Bowlers

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Finally coming to what I posted in response to the other poster . . . I was trying to say in an indirect way that this wasn't my opinion I was quoting but that of sir garfield sobers. Maybe it wasn't that clear from my sentence but your sarcasm is welll. . . as I said I am not surprised.
As you say, being a great cricketer does not make their words gospel. So your opinion is not invalid if it differs from an established cricketer.

Also, there was no sarcasm in my statement. Cricketers do say some stupid things, just like everyone else. They are subject to the same biases and fallacies as everyone else. I wouldn't necessarily trust the opinion of a person who played cricket at a high level over someone I knew to be a knowledgeable student of the game.

I enjoyed Sobers take on it.
As did I.

Slifer

International Captain
I think the Sobers, Hadlees, Bradmans etc. are all entitled to their opinions even when they are to us ludicrous. Sobers assertion that Holding, thompson and co were better than Mcgrath falls into that category. I think Warne is overated but he certainly is the greatest leg spinner of all time (and arguably the best spinner).Thats my 2 cents for now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think the Sobers, Hadlees, Bradmans etc. are all entitled to their opinions even when they are to us ludicrous. Sobers assertion that Holding, thompson and co were better than Mcgrath falls into that category. I think Warne is overated but he certainly is the greatest leg spinner of all time (and arguably the best spinner).Thats my 2 cents for now.
I don't think its that clear cut that he is the greatest leg spinner of all time, perhaps the craftiest but greatest? Still debatable.

adharcric

International Coach
McGrath - 16
Ambrose - 13
Hadlee - 11
Lillee/Warne - 5 each
Murali - 4
Wasim/Waqar/Grimmett/Wisden - 2 each
Lindwall/O'Reilly - 1 each

McGrath has taken the lead down the stretch.

adharcric

International Coach
Vote for #4 bowler of all-time

Good stuff.

1. Malcolm Marshall
2. Sydney Barnes
3. Glenn McGrath

The vote for the #4 bowler of all-time begins now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
McGrath number 3? Oh no...

Won't bother with Wisden as people probably don't rate his under-armers..

2 points Curtly Ambrose
1 point Shane Warne