• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Nathan Lyon break Shane Warne's wicket tally?

DriveClub

International Regular
Interesting. When I saw the thread title I thought it must be a joke of some sort. But then I realized he's still just 30.

I mean Herath is 40. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could play for another 10 years. Jesus what the hell would he look like at 40??

Wonder how Warne and Lyon's Ashes tallies line up? Warne had huge success v the poms and also took truck tons of wickets at home..

I guess that will be the difference..
His head will transform into a mushroom

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't see any reason he can't play ten more years and get better, apart from injury.

And he seems durable. As I said, I know it's absurd. But it's kind of possible.
The thing is I also believe Garry himself could play for another 10 years, it's just I don't think Australian sporting culture really allows its players to play until that age anymore. From around the time Lyon turns, say, 35 years old I could see the media & some members of the public growing fickle & doing what we did to Tugga & Punter towards the end of their careers. As much as they are venerated heroes of Australian cricket, I remember people at the time being very quick to criticise them & judge them harshly.

Australians are all about giving the younger generation a go and also like to have their cricketers retire with grace, preferably in front of a home crowd, even if it isn't 100% on the player's own terms (sometimes the selectors aren't even that generous).

It's highly likely that once a new, young & exciting spinner is found (a leggie, perhaps?) the selectors will look to give him a go as soon as they can. Such an event could come at the expense of a then-37 year old Garry Lyon.

Than again, this is all just something I cooked up in my head.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting. When I saw the thread title I thought it must be a joke of some sort. But then I realized he's still just 30.

I mean Herath is 40. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could play for another 10 years. Jesus what the hell would he look like at 40??

Wonder how Warne and Lyon's Ashes tallies line up? Warne had huge success v the poms and also took truck tons of wickets at home..

I guess that will be the difference..
Yeah this.

When I first saw the thread like everyone else I thought....ridiculous. But when you consider the age, it's not too far fetched if Lyon is hungry enough to play late into his 30's.

But, performance in England will be the telling factor as he'll play more overseas tests there than anywhere else.

SK Warne - Ave in England 21.05 - SR 52

Lyon - Ave in England 32.16 - SR 68

Not gonna happen unless he has some ridiculously amazing series over there.

Also, Just because he is Nathan Lyon as soon as he has a couple of quiet tests and some ****ing nobody in Shield cricket looks alright he'll get dropped for a bit, before the selectors wake up and bring him back again.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He maybe 30 but he looks like 40. By 38, he'll probably look like Yoda.

..will take many wickets though, but not nearly as many as Warne...500 or 550 is possible

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Interestingly enough, Statsguru says they've roughly played the same amount of tests by the same age. I honestly thought Warne would've played loads more than him.

Warne's about 50 wickets ahead by the same age but then he had that **** period before the drug taking and then going into god mode for 3-4 years.

cnerd123

likes this
Lyon - 71 Tests, 280 wickets, 30 years old
Warne - 145 Tests, 708 wickets, ended his career at 38

Lyon could very well play another 74 Tests in the next 8 years, but he'd need to take 428 wickets in those. That's at twice the rate that he has taken his wickets so far. At his current rate, he'll need to play a total of 180 Tests before he could cross 708 wickets. That's another 109 Tests. He's going to have to be a regular in the Australia side for close to a decade, if not more, and yet maintain his current level of performances.

Seems quite unlikely tbh. However, for comparison, after 71 Tests Warne had 317 wickets. He was also 30 years of age. He would go on to take another 391 tickets in the back half of his career. So Lyon isn't that far off

Having said that, Lyon would have to bowl better than Warne did in his after-30 years, and most likely have to play on till longer than Warne did as well, in order to over take him.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
He will be lucky if he plays after 34-35. One or two quiet series at that age and Australia will quietly discard him for a younger spinner. Warne got to play till 38 because he was Warne. This is not the norm in Australia.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not gonna happen, guys. He'll be lucky to get to 400. Never underestimate Australia's hard on for quicks, Pattinson will get fit or the next fast bowling wunderkind will come along and Lyon will be the one to make way.

Also, he's a good bowler and in decent form right now, but he's not remotely in Warne's league in terms of quality and never will be.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This seems like another one of those threads where people assume a cricketer will keep performing like he is now for another decade. Guys like Warne and Murali and Kumble and Herath who keep it up for 10-15 years are not the norm. You're asking Lyon to not just keep his place in the side in the team for another 7-8 years atleast but also perform at an atg level.

Probably the easiest "No" ever.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
This seems like another one of those threads where people assume a cricketer will keep performing like he is now for another decade. Guys like Warne and Murali and Kumble and Herath who keep it up for 10-15 years are not the norm. You're asking Lyon to not just keep his place in the side in the team for another 7-8 years atleast but also perform at an atg level.

Australia have already dropped him several times after he didn't perform for about five minutes. If an exciting young leg spinner comes around in the next few years it'll only take a brief dip in form for him to be unceremoniously booted.

In agreement, don't see how this is at all likely.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Yet in your post you highlight the fact that all the players who have achieved longevity are spinners....