• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Breaking News**

alybaba

Cricket Spectator
I believe Mr. Venkatesh Prasad has expressed interest to be a bowling coach. Unfortunately, not every batting side is made up of 11 Aamir Sohails, as I'm sure he would like.

However, I don't think India would be able to get Akram to agree to be a full-time bowling coach - mainly because of the backlash that might ensue. Him helping Pathan got some people quite mad in Pakistan, and while India-Pak fans might be maturing, I don't think they're quite there yet.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
alybaba said:
I believe Mr. Venkatesh Prasad has expressed interest to be a bowling coach. Unfortunately, not every batting side is made up of 11 Aamir Sohails, as I'm sure he would like.

However, I don't think India would be able to get Akram to agree to be a full-time bowling coach - mainly because of the backlash that might ensue. Him helping Pathan got some people quite mad in Pakistan, and while India-Pak fans might be maturing, I don't think they're quite there yet.
First of all one doesn't need to be a great bowler to become a good bowling Coach, Although Prasad had a very limited talent as a bowler, he has a good head above his shoulders and can sure teach a thing or two to Zaheer/Pathan/Agarkar etc about using thier brains while bowling. That said I dont want him as our bowling coach.

And to be frank, I dont want Akram as our bowling Coach either. As great a bowler he was, I think he will bring too many distractions with him in the dresing room (including the ones you mentioned).

I would still prefer a Bruce Reid or Terry Alderman(not that they are available). Or may be now that English bowling is in good hands can we offer this job to Darren Gough and request him to retire from International cricket and take up this job. ;)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
Hopefully that means Sri Lanka get Tom Moody, but i hear we can't afford him.
I am sure if the guys running the board don't keep putting their hands into the cricket board monies and keep on stealing :@ , we can afford him easily !!

In a way , I am pleased Big Tom will be our coach, because his pleasant personality and affable nature and his younger age suits Sri Lanka well. He will be able to relate to players better than a Big DaddyO' like Greg Chappell !! :D

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
I don't think Akram or any Pakistani would take the coaching job for India in any capacity.
I remember the furore about Akram just having a hour long chat with Pathan- if he becomes the fulltime bowling coach of IND, i dont think the entire Akram geneolical tree in pakistan would be safe.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Theoretically, Chappell may be a good choice. Realistically, I wonder if he will be able to cope with all the politics/bickering/nonsense that goes on in Indian cricket.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
masterblaster said:
We need an Australian though, thats for damn sure....
as captain you mean :sleep:

add another couple of them to bowl with the new ball :sleep:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
First of all one doesn't need to be a great bowler to become a good bowling Coach, Although Prasad had a very limited talent as a bowler, he has a good head above his shoulders and can sure teach a thing or two to Zaheer/Pathan/Agarkar etc about using thier brains while bowling. That said I dont want him as our bowling coach.
Exactly. It is nigh impossible for a genius to teach others how to be a genius. The best coaches are often those who had to work hardest to make the most out of their own limited ability. They're the ones aware of the best routines and processes with which to perform at a high level.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Chappell will be a good coach provided he gets to run things his own way.

He also seems to support the idea of a bowling coach - which I think India badly need.
Dennis Lille did a lot of good work for Australia's young pace talents thru the Pace Australia program and Troy Cooley deserves a fair amount of credit for the success of Englan's bowlers lately.

I think Bruce Reid would be a good choice - given that he's worked with the India squad before.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
One good thing about Chappell is that he said he would pay attention to the junior and fringe players in India. Good to see he wants to keep all options open, and hopefully players on debut/non-regulars will have a better time in the next two years, since they have struggled in the last five- Balaji's ODI debut read 4-0-44-0, while Gambhir got out for less than 20 in his first ODI.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Arjun said:
One good thing about Chappell is that he said he would pay attention to the junior and fringe players in India. Good to see he wants to keep all options open, and hopefully players on debut/non-regulars will have a better time in the next two years, since they have struggled in the last five- Balaji's ODI debut read 4-0-44-0, while Gambhir got out for less than 20 in his first ODI.
In the overall scheme of things, really, how important is a player's performance on debut?

When you look at the above players, whilst not being outstanding, despite their "poor" debuts they have contributed a positive effect on Indian cricket during their times in the team, much more important than whether they took 5 wickets or made 100 on debut.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
In the overall scheme of things, really, how important is a player's performance on debut?
Not at all. There are scores of examples starting from Bradman of poor debuts (Bradman was dropped after his debut test) and brilliant careers.

Another stupid linkage :sleep:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
SJS said:
Not at all. There are scores of examples starting from Bradman of poor debuts (Bradman was dropped after his debut test) and brilliant careers.

Another stupid linkage :sleep:
Haha. Thanks for answering my rhetorical question, SJS. As by its definition, it really needed one. :p

But in all seriousness, exactly the point. I mean, if you judged players by their debut, then Brad Hogg is a better test bowler than Shane Warne...wait a second!!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:

When you look at the above players, whilst not being outstanding, despite their "poor" debuts they have contributed a positive effect on Indian cricket during their times in the team, much more important than whether they took 5 wickets or made 100 on debut.
If it's India, it's very important, and not just debut- it's improtant for all fringe players to perform in limited opportunities available. I had mentioned Balaji and Gambhir. While Balaji had to wait 13 months before his next ODI, Gambhir was never recalled. Other casualties of fringe-unfriendly policies were JP Yadav (ODIs), Avishkar Salvi (had a good debut ODI series but was ejected after a bad match v/s Australia on a square turner), Reetinder Sodhi (ODIs), Sanjay Bangar (Tests and ODIs), Chopra (Tests), Gambhir (ODIs, may be ejected from Tests as well), Amit Mishra (ODIs), Ramesh Powar (ODIs), Chopra (Tests), Ratra (particularly ODIs), Dahiya (ODIs), the list goes on.....none of the non-regular players have performed well, unless they were given a longer run in the side (Balaji in 04, Pathan, Gambhir in Tests).

Hopefully things will improve for them with Chappell at the helm.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would like to see Bruce Reid as the bowling coach and perhaps, someone like Robin Singh (who is still young and well known to the national side) as an assistant coach of sorts, so that he can learn Chappell's method and combine the positives from that to his own way while coaching the U-19 side, as that is where the next generation of players come from....

masterblaster

International Captain
You can bring in whoever into the side, but discipline, consistency, focus, fitness and attention to detail is what India needs in order to go to the next level.

That's what's sets Australia apart, and I couldn't be happier in the fact that an Australian is coaching India. We need some of that Australian attitude in our side, and I hope Chapple is even more tough and strict with the players than any coach in history.

We need a change in attitude in Indian Cricket, I hope Chapple can bring about that.

Deja moo

International Captain
masterblaster said:
You can bring in whoever into the side, but discipline, consistency, focus, fitness and attention to detail is what India needs in order to go to the next level.

That's what's sets Australia apart, and I couldn't be happier in the fact that an Australian is coaching India. We need some of that Australian attitude in our side, and I hope Chapple is even more tough and strict with the players than any coach in history.

We need a change in attitude in Indian Cricket, I hope Chapple can bring about that.
Dude, for an Aussie ( you know what I mean), you suck at spelling Chappell :wacko: