• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradman, the greatest sportsperson ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Yeah totally agree with this. It doesn't strike me as a coincidence that you more often get these freakish 'outlier' athletes in either fringe sports, like squash/darts etc., or sports in their relative nascency, like cricket in Bradman's era or Baseball in Ruth's. That's not to say those players weren't exceptional, but it does make it very difficult to compare with more popular sports or more modern equivalents. That's why I don't think you can say with any certainty something like " this player from a fringe sport statistically dominated their peers way more than MJ, so they must be better". Given MJ likely competed in a much more competitive sport (both by number and quality of participants), the smaller statistical margins he achieved should surely be weighted much higher.
Well reasoned.

the big bambino

International Captain
That is the strongest argument (other than people who actually saw him) for Bradman's preeminence amongst batsmen imo, but I don't think it's impervious to debate. I'm playing devils advocate a bit here, but I think it is conceivable that for a game in it's nascency, where fundamental aspects of it like technique, training protocols, tactics, mental approaches to the game etc. are still very much changing and improving, it would be possible for a single player to rise from the 'pack' easier than in the more professional, modern game. I'm not saying any of these apply to Bradman, but e.g. a player might possess a 'radical' technique that simply works better than what the norm of the day is (and no-one else has caught up), they might have a mental/tactical approach to the game different to other players, they might simply have come up with more effective training methods than anyone else to improve their skills etc etc.. In the modern game, most things are pretty standardized and what works and what doesn't it a lot more set in stone, so I think the odds of an outlier emerging are a lot more slim because it would probably mean they genuinely possess freakish natural attributes (which are extremely rare). IMO, given the immense magnitude of his dominance, Bradman could well have been such a 'freak', but I don't think other explanations should be entirely out of question.
Cricket wasn't in its nascent period in Bradman's time.

Professionalism is not a feature of the modern era. It was well entrenched in Bradman's time.

Bradman's pre eminence is unique. Not even when the game was young or professionalism 1st established did it have such a unique player as your devil's advocacy suggests might have produced.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Cricket wasn't in its nascent period in Bradman's time.

Professionalism is not a feature of the modern era. It was well entrenched in Bradman's time.

Bradman's pre eminence is unique. Not even when the game was young or professionalism 1st established did it have such a unique player as your devil's advocacy suggests might have produced.
Well I don't agree with that. I've seen plenty of footage of cricket from that era, and nothing convinces me it was anywhere near as professional. Hell, you couldn't even make a living from playing cricket back then.

And on your second point, WG Grace.

the big bambino

International Captain
A bit more trolling from Viv Richards

Sachin is the greatest batsman: Viv Richards | Cricket News | Cricbuzz.com

But I don't think anyone could have dominated the bowlers the way Viv Richards did in his time. He dominated the most hostile bowlers ever in the most difficult era for the batsmen.
The most hostile bowlers of his era were on his side. So he didn't face them. The decadal ave of his era is not remarkably different to any other era and in some cases higher.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well I don't agree with that. I've seen plenty of footage of cricket from that era, and nothing convinces me it was anywhere near as professional. Hell, you couldn't even make a living from playing cricket back then.

I don't think the game was any less professional between the wars - bear in mind its had 80 years to evolve since then

Agree entirely about WG tho'

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
I totally agree with this point- although Viv is one of my all time favourite players, he never had to face Marshall, Roberts, Holding etc- this should definitely be taken into consideration when analysing his career performance. surprisingly though, it rarely gets a mention.

Coronis

International Coach
I totally agree with this point- although Viv is one of my all time favourite players, he never had to face Marshall, Roberts, Holding etc- this should definitely be taken into consideration when analysing his career performance. surprisingly though, it rarely gets a mention.
imo Viv wasn't even the greatest batsman of his era. Greg Chappell performed just as outstandingly against the same and better bowlers. Especially if you take WSC into account.

the big bambino

International Captain

Well lets just agree to disagree on what the both of us has seen as subjective. Cricket was pro btwn the wars and even earlier. That disagreement can be refereed by the facts.

I don't see how Grace advances your point. If you argue that his pre eminence was due to the game's nascency then you have to remember that he debuted 62 yrs before Bradman or about the same distance of time when DGB retired to now. So if you consider Bradman a contemporary of Clarke you'd have a point...

But cricket was played for a long time before Grace. So its nascency even pre dated him.

Grace was revolutionary as a cricketer. So it could be argued his influence is similar to the one you argued. However his pre eminence did not coincide with the game's nascency and neither was he statistically as dominant as Bradman.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
I hate to be disagreeable but I don't think it should be taken into account. Viv was magnificent. Maybe we should say how lucky his fast bowlers were in that they didn't have to face him or his cohorts.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, agreed. The he-never-had-to-face-his-own bowlers argument is often raised to mark down Ponting, but very rarely gets applied to Richards. Like you, Viv's one of my all time favourite players and I think his greatness is nailed on, but I am sometimes surprised at the free ride he tends to get in that respect when compared to how often it gets brought up against someone like Punter.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Who exactly tore the study apart and discredited it?..... your mates at your local bar?
Just about every response to it I saw was scathing, and with good reason as it doesn't hold up to even the most basic assessment. Why, are you saying you think it holds up? I'll give you a clue - it doesn't.

Last edited:

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
imo Viv wasn't even the greatest batsman of his era. Greg Chappell performed just as outstandingly against the same and better bowlers. Especially if you take WSC into account.
I have often used this argument in favour of Greg Chappell- class batsmen with class record against top quality bowling. Probably my favourite Australian cricketer of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.