• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bracken puts a new spin on bid for Test selection.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We're not talking about picking bowlers to debut together though, we're talking about putting a 31-year-old bowler into a team with Lee and Clark, rather than going for a younger player who may stay around and help usher in the new players when Lee and Clark go.
This whole "ushering in" thing is ridiculously overrated IMO. Established bowlers can't bowl the ball for new ones. If they (the newer lot) want to talk to them (the older lot) about how to bowl, they can do it without them being on the same teamsheet.

However, at the end of the day, it's up to the new player. If he's good enough to bowl the ball where he wants, he'll succeed. If he's not, he won't. It won't help the lad who's currently a 19-year-old rookie tearing-up the grades in Perth who'll be debuting for Australia in 2013 to have Mitchell Johnson or Shaun Tait having been in the side for 5 years in the side when they debut. Their responsibility and requirement to succeed is exactly the same whether they're debuting alongside 2 other 24-year-olds, or whether the 31-year-old Johnson and Tait are coming into the side for the first time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In Test cricket, you pick your best bowlers.
And in terms of figures returned in the Sheffield Shield over the past 3-4 seasons, not to mention his overall career First Class average, Bracken is streets ahead of his competitors.

pup11

International Coach
I think its about time the selectors make it clear what the real criteria for selection is, if its kissing their butts then obviously blokes like David Hussey and Bracken can do something else then wasting their time playing in FC cricket, because it makes no sense whatsoever, Australian team did so well over the years because people were selected to play for Australia because they had the SS stats to justify their selections and these players use to step-up to the rigours of international cricket with relative ease, but now that doesn't seem to be happening and no wonder there is such a rapid dip in the performance of the national side.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Australian team did so well over the years because people were selected to play for Australia because they had the SS stats to justify there selection
Yeah, Peter McIntyre, Simon Cook and Gavin Robertson had torn the Shield up for years.

Seriously, Bracken's exclusion is poor (not neccessarily in the face of Hilfenhaus and Bollinger, but Siddle) but it's not like things were always better. It's simply that when there was a surfeit of quality it barely mattered that many mistakes were made. Now that surfeit of quality has ebbed for the moment, selectorial mistakes are costing results.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What's his FC form been like so far this season? Haven't followed the Oz domestic scene so closely as we aren't running a fantasy comp on CW this year.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Pretty good. Demolished Tassie earlier in the year on a bit of a greentop at Hobart. Don't have stats as for some reason the CA website is giving me grief.

EDIT: Here we go.

Code:
Name  	        Team  	Wkts    Ave   	SR   	5  	10   	Best
Bracken, NW	NSW	10	23.30	78.0	1	0	5/28
Not the greatest but he's been injured a fair bit this season IIRC.

Last edited:

susudear

Banned
Injury

Pretty good. Demolished Tassie earlier in the year on a bit of a greentop at Hobart. Don't have stats as for some reason the CA website is giving me grief.

EDIT: Here we go.

Code:
Name  	        Team  	Wkts    Ave   	SR   	5  	10   	Best
Bracken, NW	NSW	10	23.30	78.0	1	0	5/28
Not the greatest but he's been injured a fair bit this season IIRC.
Him being supposedly prone to injuries is one of the reasons why CA could have adopted such a stance against him, if the article in that link provided above can be relied on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So they've only played 4 games at all? Right. Must've been 1 out of 3 then, just seemed like more than that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What? Bracken has to have played more than the solitary game, because he has 10 wickets and only one five wicket haul, meaning he has to have taken the other 5 over (at least) 2 innings.

I have no idea what you're on about. Everyone has played 6 games in the Shield so far this season.
And my recollection was that of NSW's first 4 games, Bracken played 1. Might be wrong, but it's something along those lines.

I see you've edited, looks like this post ended-up unneccessary but I'll leave it here anyway.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, Peter McIntyre, Simon Cook and Gavin Robertson had torn the Shield up for years.

Seriously, Bracken's exclusion is poor (not neccessarily in the face of Hilfenhaus and Bollinger, but Siddle) but it's not like things were always better. It's simply that when there was a surfeit of quality it barely mattered that many mistakes were made. Now that surfeit of quality has ebbed for the moment, selectorial mistakes are costing results.
Well... mate those are few exceptions but in general blokes who have been picked on the back of good SS performances have usually gone on to do well for Australia too, so there was really no need for Aussie selectors to act a bit too cheeky and think out of the box and pick people on potential rather than performances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know there wasn't, that's just the point. The point is that they've always done it - it's just that when there were 8 or 9 established players of high quality, that meant the selectorial mistakes precious rarely cost a game, never mind a series. The mistakes are no higher now than they've ever been - they're just costing far more now because the established quality is lesser.

When established quality is lesser, injuries and poor selection can ill be afforded. In times of plenty, both can happen and results will not unduly be impacted upon.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

What was wrong with McIntyre's selection at the time?

I mean, he was a reasonably experienced spinner and was chosen as a reserve?