• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best test batsman - Hussain vs Astle

Test Batsman - Hussain vs Astle

• Total voters

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
hussain in tests and astle in one dayers....both were average on the whole but hussain was more consistent in tests..although it should be said astle had his moments and was capable of heights that hussain couldn't dream of...

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
A tough one, when talking about Tests.
In ODI's, there is no contest, obviously.

Astle is one of my all time favourite players, and he was good to watch. He will go down as an average player, but an above average NZ player. His 222 is one of the most memorable test innings I have ever seen.

Hussain was average at best, and a lot less exciting to watch than Astle.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Nah, I don't consider my opinion humble (wouldn't be much point having one if it was so humble) and there's several of those neutral voters in that poll who I'd say don't really know all that much about how to judge a cricketer. On informed and neutral voters, it's pretty much neck-and-neck.
This bit made me :laugh:

analyst

U19 12th Man
Well, I lived in Chelmsford at the time and am relaying what the locals were saying at that time. They were disappointed that he went straight from a test match (where, let's not forget not everyone can attend given the size of Lords) and straight into the commentary box without a swan-song for the county fans to celebrate his acheivements.

Mind you, I was at 2 of the days of that very test match so have very little complaint myself, but I could certainly understand the feeling at the time. Fans who'd supported Hussain through the good times and the bad times throughout his County and England career didn't get the chance to give him a send of due to his speedy desire to get into the Commentary Box.

Hussain may be extremely proud of Essex and may have indeed promoted some of his County collegues to the test team, but that doesn't mean he treated his County well in retirement.

Erm, His dad runs the academy which has brought through some of the finest talent Essex cricket has had for nearly twenty years. It still is a very succesful system, the likes of Varun Chopra, Mark Pettini,James Foster,Ravi Bopara and Allistair Cook have all been part of the setup before joining up with Essex CC. As I said, Hussain didn't need to do anything really, if he actually came back and played domestic cricket, he would have been holding the club back, Essex unlike most English clubs had a very positive belief in young players and backing them without much doubt regardless of failure. The likes of Graham Napier proof of that second part, that failure only encourages coaches to help young players work on the players harder next season.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Erm, His dad runs the academy which has brought through some of the finest talent Essex cricket has had for nearly twenty years. It still is a very succesful system, the likes of Varun Chopra, Mark Pettini,James Foster,Ravi Bopara and Allistair Cook have all been part of the setup before joining up with Essex CC. As I said, Hussain didn't need to do anything really, if he actually came back and played domestic cricket, he would have been holding the club back, Essex unlike most English clubs had a very positive belief in young players and backing them without much doubt regardless of failure. The likes of Graham Napier proof of that second part, that failure only encourages coaches to help young players work on the players harder next season.
I'm well aware of what his Dad does and the work that Hussain has done in the past, but that's not relevant to what I'm saying in the slightest.

You believe what you like, but I heard the Essex fans at the time complaining that Hussain hadn't treated them with appropriate respect. Hussain had put in to the County over the preceeding years, but the County and the County fans had correspondingly invested in Hussain and even a single game 'testimonial' swansong for the fans was well in order to my mind.

In other news, I can't believe Astle is winning this one!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You believe what you like, but I heard the Essex fans at the time complaining that Hussain hadn't treated them with appropriate respect. Hussain had put in to the County over the preceeding years, but the County and the County fans had correspondingly invested in Hussain and even a single game 'testimonial' swansong for the fans was well in order to my mind.
I can sort of get this. I don't really blame anyone at Essex for being a bit disappointed that Hussain didn't come back and play one or two last games for them. Yet, also, I can understand his reasonings for not wanting to do that. I don't think there's anything wrong at all with wanting to finish your career on the highest high imaginable, and hitting the winning runs just after brining-up a century in a Test at Lord's doesn't come much better.