• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team since Waugh/ Ponting’s Australia?

Best team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
Some posts are hilarious ?

India got smoked in the first game against England fair and square. Same thing happened in first game against Australia. There is no shame in admitting that. I bet Shastri had a one-on-one with the curators the same day those games ended :p
Australia yes.

But England was purely due to covid bubbles and injuries. No way Root scores more than 50 with Axar and Jadeja in.

Slifer

International Captain
You are being disingenuous again. The only reason Eng won a match was cause most of the first bowling attack was out injured. If Jadeja, axar, Shami, Umesh played the 1st test it's 4-0. In a hypothetical match-up we are assuming that the team is fit. O/w should we also consider a Windies team where Marshall, Holding, Roberts are injured?

Also it's not just England that have been smashed. An SA with ABDV, Amla etc were smashed 3-0 in 2015, Eng with Cook, Root, Anderson, Stokes 4-0 in 2016, NZ with Williamson, Taylor, Southee 3-0 in 2016.
I'm confused here. So are we now going back as far as 2015 and 2016? In which case, why not include Australia as well. They lost 1-2. And even that Oz team are not remotely close to peak 80s WI. So I still don't see how they get smashed.

Chrish

International Debutant
And I am one of the few fans who believe series in England was left undecided. I wouldn’t declare India as winner since last game never took place.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
Yea Nah..

We lost. Period. There is no room for excuses..
Not an excuse. Just a reason.

The poster's logic was Ind lost a match against this Eng side so 80s WI wouldn't be smashed. But his hypothetical 80s WI is fully fit and playing their best XI while this Indian XI isn't. Nadeem, Sundar and Ishant wouldn't be in anyone's first XI.

A fair comparison then would be to have Marshall, Holdin, Roberts et al injured in a few matches.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
I'm confused here. So are we now going back as far as 2015 and 2016? In which case, why not include Australia as well. They lost 1-2. And even that Oz team are not remotely close to peak 80s WI. So I still don't see how they get smashed.
Yes, why not. This Ind team's run started from 2015. That Aus team won cause of Steve Smith, who is prolly a better batsman than anyone WI has ever produced in their history. And Shami was injured.

And that's just one series where a team wasn't smashed at home. Everyone else was.

If we are matching up with a hypothetical full fit West Indies 80s XI, you would be facing a hypothetical fully fit current Indian XI.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the funniest threads I've seen in a while. Reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where they have a vote for curfew for everyone under the age of 70 because "old people vote in record numbers". Indian team is the best ever because nationalist Indian posters come out of the woodwork and vote in record numbers lol

subshakerz

International Coach
No amount of home wins can take away the fact that this Kohli side will regularly collapse when faced with pressure on sporting wickets, as they have done repeatedly.

That is too big a weakness to ignore. You are comparing them with batting lineups that had 3-4 batsmen performing at ATG levels at one time.

India really could have used another Pujara/Kohli level bat in ithe side to make a more closer comparison.

SA under Smith never folded so pathetically as India did in NZ, or lose 4 tests in a series. They were a tougher team to beat. Even when Australia beat them at home, they put up a fight.

Under Kohli, the team is good for bullying at home and beating weakened sides away. They are a really good side but with glaring weaknesses.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
One of the funniest threads I've seen in a while. Reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where they have a vote for curfew for everyone under the age of 70 because "old people vote in record numbers". Indian team is the best ever because nationalist Indian posters come out of the woodwork and vote in record numbers lol
Three consecutive BGTs lost.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
No amount of home wins can take away the fact that this Kohli side will regularly collapse when faced with pressure on sporting wickets, as they have done repeatedly.

That is too big a weakness to ignore. You are comparing them with batting lineups that had 3-4 batsmen performing at ATG levels at one time.

India really could have used another Pujara/Kohli level bat in ithe side to make a more closer comparison.

SA under Smith never folded so pathetically as India did in NZ, or lose 4 tests in a series. They were a tougher team to beat. Even when Australia beat them at home, they put up a fight.

Under Kohli, the team is good for bullying at home and beating weakened sides away. They are a really good side but with glaring weaknesses.
They might collapse on sporting wickets but they will bully teams too cause of the attack.

Aus in 2020-21 was a weakened side as was SL in 2015?

SA under Smith wasn't a tougher team to beat. They lost home series. India only had to "put up a fight" in 2017. Every other home series has been autopilot.

Home games are literally 50% of the games you play.

Smith's team never lost 4 matches in a series simply cause they played 3 match series.

Chrish

International Debutant

Tbh Smith’s SA played under flat wicket era.. So, we can’t be entirely sure if their batsmen would have still ATG batting records had they played in current bowler’s era. Batting for past 3-4 years has been a completely different proposition.

Just food for thought. Batsmen these days average much lower but may be because batting is ****ing hard these days.

Slifer

International Captain
Not an excuse. Just a reason.

The poster's logic was Ind lost a match against this Eng side so 80s WI wouldn't be smashed. But his hypothetical 80s WI is fully fit and playing their best XI while this Indian XI isn't. Nadeem, Sundar and Ishant wouldn't be in anyone's first XI.

A fair comparison then would be to have Marshall, Holdin, Roberts et al injured in a few matches.
Yes, why not. This Ind team's run started from 2015. That Aus team won cause of Steve Smith, who is prolly a better batsman than anyone WI has ever produced in their history. And Shami was injured.

And that's just one series where a team wasn't smashed at home. Everyone else was.

If we are matching up with a hypothetical full fit West Indies 80s XI, you would be facing a hypothetical fully fit current Indian XI.
One Steve Smith does not make up for an Oz batting line up that's inferior to the WI. I'm not even going to mention the bowling. And WI fielding is on another level from current India and that Australian team.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
Tbh Smith’s SA played under flat wicket era.. So, we can’t be entirely sure if their batsmen would have still ATG batting records had they played in current bowler’s era. Batting for past 3-4 years has been a completely different proposition.

Just food for thought.
True.

If people are comparing SA's batting to Ind's and conclude that they have a better batting lineup due to better average then same comparison should be done with regards to bowling attacks.

Smith's SA only had two good bowlers in Steyn, Philander with 21-22 average. Morkel averaged 29.

Ashwin averages 21.65, Jadeja 23.51, Shami 24.25, Ishant 25.01, Yadav 28.13, Bumrah 22.33 - all 100+ wickets
Siraj 27.94, Axar 11.86, Bhuvi 18.5, Amit Mishra 25.84 - 30+ wickets

Thing is Kohli would average 55-60ish, Pujara 50ish, Rahane 45ish, Rohit 50ish, Rahul 45ish if they played in that era and the bowlers would average slightly higher - Ashwin 26ish, Jadeja, Ishant, Shami 29ish, Bumrah 26ish.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
One Steve Smith does not make up for an Oz batting line up that's inferior to the WI. I'm not even going to mention the bowling. And WI fielding is on another level from current India and that Australian team.
Yeah and they won 1 match against a team missing its main fast bowler. Kudos.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How would Pakistan have done in India? Obviously one of the biggest advantages for India’s great home record are that other teams that should be suited to their conditions kinda suck

Status
Not open for further replies.