• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best India Batsman..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is absolutely zero possibility that Tendulkar would've been Test-class had he debuted at 12 years old. Not a cat in hell's chance.

Azharuddin was a better batsman than Tendulkar until about 1991 or so. Simple as. The reason for this is simply that he was born before Tendulkar so thus developed earlier than Tendulkar did.

susudear

Banned
There is absolutely zero possibility that Tendulkar would've been Test-class had he debuted at 12 years old. Not a cat in hell's chance.

Azharuddin was a better batsman than Tendulkar until about 1991 or so. Simple as. The reason for this is simply that he was born before Tendulkar so thus developed earlier than Tendulkar did.
That Azhar's parents met and mated before Tendulkar's parents is Tendulkar's fault?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The fact is that Azharuddin was playing for India in 1987, while the closest Tendulkar got to the Indian team during that period was returning balls from beyond the boundary. Why is this argument even being had?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That Azhar's parents met and mated before Tendulkar's parents is Tendulkar's fault?
No amount of fault is remotely relevant. It's not Sourav Ganguly's fault that he was blessed with less talent than Tendulkar and Dravid, but it still made him a less good Test batsman than both throughout his career. Not everything that makes you less good is your fault - in fact I'd say in the cases of most cricketers, most of their limitations are imposed on them rather than self-imposed.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Hmm, I can't help feeling that Azharuddin was better than Tendulkar between 1984 and 1990 TBH. Given that Tendulkar was aged 10 to 16 at that point.

I was born in 1985, remember, much as I'd quite like to have been born in 1990 these days.

damn i thought u r like 55 or something..

now i found out i am a year older than you

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: People thinking I'm 30 years older than I am isn't unusual and never has been throughout my time on forums (in fact hardly anyone picks my actual age until they read of it), but I'd expect someone who'd been a member for 2 years alongside me to have noticed it before now. :p

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: People thinking I'm 30 years older than I am isn't unusual and never has been throughout my time on forums (in fact hardly anyone picks my actual age until they read of it), but I'd expect someone who'd been a member for 2 years alongside me to have noticed it before now. :p
Richard I hope it's not too rude of me to ask, but how can you be 22 years old and have fitted in the time for over 69,000 posts? What do you do for a living?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sadly I'm 23 now (24 this September :() but I regret to inform you that my tally would be closer to 100,000 (probably over in fact) had I not missed a year and a bit during my 5-and-a-bit years at CW.

As for what do I do for a living - well when I joined CW I was still a full-time student (was that until June 2004) and for the next 3 years I worked at a not-so-nice'n'simple shop job which paid OK and had few prospects. That place closed last November (that is, '07) and I've done sod-all since as, in case you haven't noticed, getting a new position currently isn't the easiest thing in The World. Luckily, I've got a supportive family and no real responsibility. Many are not so fortunate.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
How soon hath time, the subtle thief of youth
Stol'n on his wing my three and twentieth year!

bagapath

International Captain
in the present generation (1988 to 2008) dravid has been our best bat in test matches with tendulkar coming a close second. and tendulkar was the best in one day matches with ganguly a close second; sehwag is not too far behind in both lists.

in the previous generation (1967 to 1987) it should be gavaskar first and vishwanath next.

in the first two decades of indian cricket after world war II ('46 to '66) vijay hazare was our best batsman with umrigar coming second.

overall, it should be a very close call between gavaskar, tendulkar and dravid for the first three spots. these three champs in any order is fine for me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag, currently, is a mile behind Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar in ODIs, IMO. And a fair way behind Yuvraj Singh as well.