• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best All-Rounder ever

Debris

International 12th Man
Always wonder why Alan Davidson never gets a mention in these threads. Possibly a better bowler than anyone mentioned and a reasonable bat.

Himannv

International Coach
Always wonder why Alan Davidson never gets a mention in these threads. Possibly a better bowler than anyone mentioned and a reasonable bat.
Lindwall wasn't bad either. Probably fair to have them in the reckoning if Pollock is there as well. Still neither were good enough with the bat to really be one of the best all rounders.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The more I see of Kallis the more I feel that he is probably the most massively under-rated cricketer ever. I don't see why he shouldn't be treated the same as Gary Sobers.
Selfish **** is Kallis. Always happy to have a bowl if the wicket is green and seaming, never willing to bend his back on the tougher tracks

Debris

International 12th Man
Kallis is the only guy I can think of that lost his country a world cup by not getting out. And that thread mentioned above is so last year :)

adwaltoncc

Cricket Spectator
Genuine all rounder?

In the 1906 English cricket season, George Herbert Hirst achieved the unique feat of scoring over 2000 runs and taking over 200 wickets. He scored 2385 runs including six centuries at 45.86 with a highest score of 169. He took 208 wickets at 16.50 with a best analysis of 7/18. In the same season, Hirst achieved another unique feat when he scored a century in both innings and took five wickets in both innings of the same match. Playing for Yorkshire versus Somerset at Bath, Hirst scored 111 and 117 not out; and took 6/70 and 5/45.

But I guess that was cricket in a completely different era!

Teja.

Global Moderator
Meh, Andrew Flintoff is certainly not a cricketing great for mine. Did for 2 years what Kapil did for 16.

Shaun Pollock criminally underrated. Hadlee's equal as far as all-rounders go.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
He was never a good enough batsman at Test level to warrant being called a genuine all-rounder, though he certainly made plenty of useful runs. Bothers me more that he very, very rarely mentioned in threads about the greatest bowlers - his record is magnificent.

Wilfred Rhodes and the Doctor should get a mention too. Although both their FC careers probably weren't long enough to judge how effective they were.
:laugh:

In the 1906 English cricket season, George Herbert Hirst achieved the unique feat of scoring over 2000 runs and taking over 200 wickets. He scored 2385 runs including six centuries at 45.86 with a highest score of 169. He took 208 wickets at 16.50 with a best analysis of 7/18. In the same season, Hirst achieved another unique feat when he scored a century in both innings and took five wickets in both innings of the same match. Playing for Yorkshire versus Somerset at Bath, Hirst scored 111 and 117 not out; and took 6/70 and 5/45.

But I guess that was cricket in a completely different era!
Hirst was an absolute God a FC level, but unfortunately (for him and for England) he rarely reproduced that kind of form in the Test arena.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Monty Noble another name who need more credit. Average of 25 with the ball, 30 with the bat and one of Australia's finest ever captains.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Imran Khan
Sobers
Botham
Kallis
Kapil
Hadlee
Afridi ( Sorry i had to include him...) :ph34r:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
The Perfect All-Rounder

Let's not forget the stalwarts of yesteryear, Abid Ali and Eknath Solkar.

These guys couldn't bowl or bat properly, so their perfect classification were All-Rounders. Better than batsmen who could bowl (Sobers/Kallis) or bowlers who could bat (Imran/Miller)