• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Offseason 2011

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think I've already made my thoughts clear on the Futures League, but I couldn't agree more. If the kids are going to be close to good enough to play state cricket, then see how they go against a 2nd XI side, not against another bunch of kids.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah agree. Also, there are blokes who, if they're good enough, they're good enough so you give them a go (Pat Cummins, who seems to have bypassed every development and under-age squad in existence comes to mind). But promoting young blokes just because they're young and turfing valuable older guys who might not be looking to play Tests is a bit silly. As Katich said, you remove not only the experience in the team but the competition for spots which promotes blokes really working hard to earn their spot and work their arse off to keep it.

I've certainly made my thoughts on G Chappell clear and that sort of thing has him all over it.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Yeah agree. Also, there are blokes who, if they're good enough, they're good enough so you give them a go (Pat Cummins, who seems to have bypassed every development and under-age squad in existence comes to mind). But promoting young blokes just because they're young and turfing valuable older guys who might not be looking to play Tests is a bit silly. As Katich said, you remove not only the experience in the team but the competition for spots which promotes blokes really working hard to earn their spot and work their arse off to keep it.

I've certainly made my thoughts on G Chappell clear and that sort of thing has him all over it.
Shock horror, we agree!

There is a lot to be said for maing young guys pay their dues at every level of the game - as far down as grade cricket we are seeing the problems of guys not earning their stripes before they get opportunities. Playing against guys who may not play for Australia but are battle hardened cricketers who don't give an inch is an important part of any young Sheild players development, and I'm a bit worried that has been lost in our system.

But yeah, a real worry to hear about an opening batsman scared of fast bowling at Shield level.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shock horror, we agree!
Heh, well, we agree with Kat, really.

There is a lot to be said for maing young guys pay their dues at every level of the game - as far down as grade cricket we are seeing the problems of guys not earning their stripes before they get opportunities. Playing against guys who may not play for Australia but are battle hardened cricketers who don't give an inch is an important part of any young Sheild players development, and I'm a bit worried that has been lost in our system.
Yeah, it's valuable in so many ways. I mean, it's an education in life when a bloke who's been playing Shield cricket for years and, say, 'only' averaging 35-40 keeps his spot when you may be considered more talented/have greater potential. There are many reasons to pick a guy and raw talent is only one component. Seeing that in action and understanding what you need to do to be elevated ahead of that guy (overall contribution to the team, reliability, professionalism even if you have no chance of playing Tests, etc.) is a lesson in and of itself. You need to be that much better to get ahead. Promoting guys just because they're young works counter to this process.

NSW get it, I reckon. It's why a bloke like Nic Maddinson is still on the fringes when you reckon if he was anywhere else, he'd have played 10 games last year.

Andre

International Regular
Yeah, it's valuable in so many ways. I mean, it's an education in life when a bloke who's been playing Shield cricket for years and, say, 'only' averaging 35-40 keeps his spot when you may be considered more talented/have greater potential. There are many reasons to pick a guy and raw talent is only one component. Seeing that in action and understanding what you need to do to be elevated ahead of that guy (overall contribution to the team, reliability, professionalism even if you have no chance of playing Tests, etc.) is a lesson in and of itself. You need to be that much better to get ahead. Promoting guys just because they're young works counter to this process.

NSW get it, I reckon. It's why a bloke like Nic Maddinson is still on the fringes when you reckon if he was anywhere else, he'd have played 10 games last year.
Yeah exactly. Plus, if the match hardened blokes are out of the side for a bunch of youngsters, who do they learn from? For example, I reckon it did a heap of good for a lot of the guys in Tassie back in the day to learn off guys like Hills, Cox, Young, Ridgeway, Marsh, and they've seen the benefits of making young fellas earn their keep in the last 5 years or so. Same goes for NSW - the reason a lot of guys like Copeland, ****ley, etc come into the side and succeed is that they've got blokes like S Clark there to keep them honest with their performances and also watch how they prepare and go about the game.

Isn't it funny when we thin about the glory days of Sheild in the 1990's that the names that spring to mind aren't blokes who played a hundred Test matches, but good, rock solid, experienced domestic professionals?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Only Queensland opener I can think of is the blonde kid who looks like a surfer. No idea if he played when Clark did, though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
heh, anyone want to speculate as to the opening batter he's talking about?
Cameron played four Shield matches last summer, and these were the opening batsmen he bowled to:

Ryan Broad
Wade Townsend
Rob Quiney
Michael Hill
Wes Robinson
Liam Davis
Tom Moffat
Tom Cooper

Cameron took 6/22 and 5/30 against Queensland, dismissing Townsend bowled for 9 and lbw for 0. My money is on him, although he does have multiple First Class hundreds. Cameron also bowled Moffat for a duck though so he's a big contender too.

Last edited: