• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Offseason 2011

brockley

International Captain
Both the Stars and the Etihad Stadium-based Melbourne Renegades are guarding their wish lists closely, but cannot make serious overtures until a dispute between CA and the Australian Cricketers Association over private investment is resolved and rules for player movement finalized.
From queensland cricket

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I wonder if NZ will try get involved in the future.. like warriors.. breakers and the phoenix.. i suspect there would need to be two teams from nz one from the sth Is and one from nth Is. Canterbury and wellington would be my suggestion.

brockley

International Captain
In i think 5 years it will be 10 teams,so 2 new sides,maybe 1 nz side and a canberra side both are a must.
Sydney and melbourne deserved 2 sides,as their is a huge difference between melbourne and sydney,then to brisbane,adelaide,perth and hobart(these states recruit from sydney and melbroune and canberra).

brockley

International Captain
Wednesday 6 April 2011

A series of major meetings in Melbourne next week could determine the way forward for the Big Bash League, with player recruitment at the top of the agenda.

Cricket Australia today confirmed all eight team colours, names and venues, but the pressing issue remains the player allocation.

All teams are desperate to be able to begin recruiting to parade names before potential sponsors and investors but have been hamstrung to date by an impasse between CA and the Australian Cricketers’ Association.

“It’s critical we get the issue of private investment right before we roll out this new competition,” said BBL coordinator Mike McKenna.

“We’ve got a meeting with all key parties from CA and the State associations scheduled which will look to finalise this issue and allow teams to continue discussions with potential investors.

“As far as the allocation of players is concerned, we’ve come a long way towards working out the model by which players will be signed by teams.

“We’ve been clear from the outset that we want an even spread of talent to give each team a chance to be successful.”

Test players will be unavailable for BBL 1 due to a series against New Zealand played immediately before and during the start of the tournament in December, and four Tests against India after Christmas.

But fringe national players and those returning from injury are a chance to play, and would add valuable marketing clout for each team

brockley

International Captain
Can someone change the thread title to Australian Domestic Off Season Thread.
BTW our under 19 series starts next week.
Can't see keeping this alive as kfc thread,thus the change.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I really don't get why they're so desperate to launch this next season when the tournament won't even have the top Australian players available to play. Seriously, how do you successfully market that to your captive audience?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I couldn’t imagine a worse investment than a stake in one of the new city based franchises. It appears obvious to everyone apart from Cricket Australia that this competition is going to fail.

I expect crowd numbers will be down on last season’s Big Bash. I truly couldn't give a **** about any of the Melbourne teams if they contain a plethora of interstate players.

brockley

International Captain
Yes i'd rather the sydney side had sydney players,plenty to pick from,especialy when everyone is fit.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Again can you change this to australian domestic off season.
BTW we play our first australian under 19 one dayer sunday.