• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Assessment of the World Cup

loterry1994

International Debutant
That would kind of depend on Indian players being allowed to play in other T20 Leagues. They won't, nor do they have any need to.
if they were allowed I think you’d see a lot more Indians playing around the t20 franchise circuit. And playing a longer career

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's T20 and Tests or it's just t20, this bloody tournament has just taken over a month of the calendar out where we couldn't play any Tests. T20 makes money, those tournaments are going to happen, the more of this redundant format, the less Tests as it ain't going to impinge on franchise cricket.

It was fun whilst for awhile, but not any more.
👎🏼

Flem274*

123/5
Test cricket (and ODI cricket) just need to hang on for 10-20 years imo because T20 is set for a crash.

Everyone who is a sports fan, hand on heart, knows it is a lesser game and a cash grab. All these leagues and a T20 WC every 2 years is not sustainable. There is only so much 'content' the casual fan is going to want to pay for and T20 is struggling to gain the respect of the sporting fanbase.

ODIs probably copped the same 'cash grab' condescension, though imo the difference there is ODIs until recently retained a recognizable relationship with test cricket and the balance between bat and ball. T20 sells itself on not having that balance.

To add to the above, the contact sport codes are going to have a real problem in 20 years when all these blokes who weigh 100kg and run like cheetah's burn those sports to the ground, and probably push them to become very different to what they are today. The NRL in particular has a reckoning coming imo.

Fans of those sports will be wanting to fill the void with a game of substance. One that still has the gladiatorial combat of batsman vs fast bowler and the skill of moving and spinning the ball or playing against it.

And finally, I don't know why you guys hate this format because it's awesome. Everyone plays everyone, no dodging teams for years and years. I'd watch a full 14 team round robin too, though if it places too much stress on the host country then two groups of 7 works. The World Cup is a 4 years event, I don't know why you're all so determined to rush it.

This is the first WC where I've thought the balance between bat and ball has been unacceptable though. I was hoping for 250-280 being a normal score and for plenty of spinner 5fers. Instead the top 10 players of this tournament are like 9 batsmen and Shami.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Test cricket (and ODI cricket) just need to hang on for 10-20 years imo because T20 is set for a crash.

Everyone who is a sports fan, hand on heart, knows it is a lesser game and a cash grab.
Yes & no - cricket is competing with itself, T20 vs ODI vs tests, & with other forms of entertainment. Do you have any idea what the top twitch/YT streamers make? And that number is only exploding, people especially those born post 2k simply don't have time for longer formats & if you can't hold attention of that (kind of) audience you will have to make do with less money (impossible with the way most businesses run) or make changes like ODI > T20 > T10 etc.

Flem274*

123/5
Yes & no - cricket is competing with itself, T20 vs ODI vs tests, & with other forms of entertainment. Do you have any idea what the top twitch/YT streamers make? And that number is only exploding, people especially those born post 2k simply don't have time for longer formats & if you can't hold attention of that (kind of) audience you will have to make do with less money (impossible with the way most businesses run) or make changes like ODI > T20 > T10 etc.
Eh we're competing with other sports. There are loads of people who watch youtube who have zero interest in sports, and that's fine.

I also think you severely underestimate the current younger generation (as every older generation does). Our parents whinged about our attention spans in the early 00s, and long form video essays on youtube get a lot of views even if they're those ones full of star wars whinging that suck.

If cricket treats the audience with contempt then yes they will lose.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
I also think you severely underestimate the current younger generation (as every older generation does).
Kinda true but we'll have to see how we grow out of this phase like facebook was all the rage last decade less so in this one, twitter/YT/tiktok is more popular nowadays IMO so this does seem to be a cyclical thing as well at least for me. Once we get over the social media phase, if at that, we'd be in a better position to address this.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Everyone who is a sports fan, hand on heart, knows it is a lesser game and a cash grab. All these leagues and a T20 WC every 2 years is not sustainable. There is only so much 'content' the casual fan is going to want to pay for and T20 is struggling to gain the respect of the sporting fanbase.

ODIs probably copped the same 'cash grab' condescension, though imo the difference there is ODIs until recently retained a recognizable relationship with test cricket and the balance between bat and ball. T20 sells itself on not having that balance.

To add to the above, the contact sport codes are going to have a real problem in 20 years when all these blokes who weigh 100kg and run like cheetah's burn those sports to the ground, and probably push them to become very different to what they are today. The NRL in particular has a reckoning coming imo.

Fans of those sports will be wanting to fill the void with a game of substance. One that still has the gladiatorial combat of batsman vs fast bowler and the skill of moving and spinning the ball or playing against it.

And finally, I don't know why you guys hate this format because it's awesome. Everyone plays everyone, no dodging teams for years and years. I'd watch a full 14 team round robin too, though if it places too much stress on the host country then two groups of 7 works. The World Cup is a 4 years event, I don't know why you're all so determined to rush it.

This is the first WC where I've thought the balance between bat and ball has been unacceptable though. I was hoping for 250-280 being a normal score and for plenty of spinner 5fers. Instead the top 10 players of this tournament are like 9 batsmen and Shami.
I feel the need to speak up for T20 bowlers here. I actually remember a much higher number of awesome and game-changing bowling spells in last year's T20 World Cup (here's a list of the best figures) than this current tournament, and that made neutral games enormously more enjoyable contests for me than the merciless batting onslaughts we've been seeing over the last few weeks.

I do concede there's over-saturation of T20 and wish its World Cups were four-yearly instead of two, but I am really looking forward to the 20-team comp coming up in the West Indies next year. Some hilariously minefieldy pitches, pls.

Flem274*

123/5
I feel the need to speak up for T20 bowlers here. I actually remember a much higher number of awesome and game-changing bowling spells in last year's T20 World Cup (here's a list of the best figures) than this current tournament, and that made neutral games enormously more enjoyable contests for me than the merciless batting onslaughts we've been seeing over the last few weeks.

I do concede there's over-saturation of T20 and wish its World Cups were four-yearly instead of two, but I am really looking forward to the 20-team comp coming up in the West Indies next year. Some hilariously minefieldy pitches, pls.
Yeah it probably is the saturation of them that does it for me too, like a box of Cadbury Favourites at Christmas. You smash them, feel sick and forget them.

4 years and I think we need one in Bangladesh purely for those beautifully disgusting pitches where 120/8 plays 90 all out. That absolute rolling grubber Will Young copped the other year from some nondescript twirler was the pinnacle of T20 and they may as well shut down the game from now on. It won't be bested.

Uppercut

I think it was pretty good. The key to enjoying Cricket World Cups is to lower your expectations. The World Cup branding primes people to expect something vaguely on the level of the football World Cup, and it's just nowhere close. It also implies that it's the pinnacle of the sport, but everybody knows it's not, because it's played in a second-tier format. There have been better and worse iterations, but there's no structure that'll stop it from feeling underwhelming. We just need to take it for what it is: decent craic.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Time zone stopped me from watching as much as usual as night games finished about 4am here

Only watched 2 full games (semi & final) and turned many off after an hour or so as there were lots of one sided matches

Victor Ian

International Coach
I love a WC tournament in India, except for one thing...the ****ing dew. That ****ing dew makes it feel like games are decided by the toss. It was the same thing with the t20 WC last time.

Is there anything that can be done to alleviate this? I mean, they can play day games, but money loves day/night so that's not happening. Without fixing the dew problem, I strongly feel India tournaments are a bit of a joke, which is a pity, because they have everything else going for them.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I love a WC tournament in India, except for one thing...the ****ing dew. That ****ing dew makes it feel like games are decided by the toss. It was the same thing with the t20 WC last time.

Is there anything that can be done to alleviate this? I mean, they can play day games, but money loves day/night so that's not happening. Without fixing the dew problem, I strongly feel India tournaments are a bit of a joke, which is a pity, because they have everything else going for them.
I think the proposed solution is to have most global cricketing tournaments in India for the foreseeable. If that helps?

Burgey

I think the proposed solution is to have most global cricketing tournaments in India for the foreseeable. If that helps?
I think the proposal is to just keep holding them there til they win one.

Which is the same thing I guess.