• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Assessment of the World Cup

Ali TT

International Debutant
That's not a lot of cricket for each team. 6 games total for the finalists, less for everyone else
It's not an issue about every team, just one.
I suspect to make the tournament financially viable, they need the TV revenue from as many games as possible involving India.

Owzat

U19 Captain
It's not an issue about every team, just one.
I suspect to make the tournament financially viable, they need the TV revenue from as many games as possible involving India.
easy peasy, just let India play India select XI for 10 games then the rest join in when they're too tired to put up much of a fight!

think the mentality though is too "all about India", ironic really as suggestion to revert to the very format that blew India (and Pakistan, 2007) out at the group stage seems to be rife

you're better off staging it in countries where people will buy tickets for and attend more games for the "neutrals" ie in India you might get good crowds for India games but are they any good coordinating or getting people in (visas), buying tickets etc to attend for the other 9+ countries 'also' happen to be there?!?!?

just reading this event (1.250m) exceeded attendance from previous record in 2015 (1.016m), for me that's feeble for a supposed nation of cricket crazy fans

populations of hosts (2015-2023)
Australia 26.8m (New Zealand 5.26m)
England 56.5m (Wales 3.1m)
India 1.4bn

considering also the largest capacity ground in England and Wales is Lords (30k), aussies (and kiwis) somewhat larger with five of 37k-53.5k (20 games) and one of 100k (5 games) and India with 132k hosting 5 games, four of 38.2k-68.0k hosting 33 games you would like to think they'd exceed the record by more than a couple of 100k

From the stadia India played at, all but Hyderabad it seems, they could have filled them to 619k alone, half the tournament overall attendance. I am always sceptical of reported attendances tbf, announcements of a game at old toilet in football coming out with near if not at capacity with empty seats visible.

still for much of the final they made the empty seats look like they were filled, oh wait that was just silent Indians thought they and their team only had to turn up and see them walk to victory......!

Socerer 01

International Captain
easy peasy, just let India play India select XI for 10 games then the rest join in when they're too tired to put up much of a fight!

think the mentality though is too "all about India", ironic really as suggestion to revert to the very format that blew India (and Pakistan, 2007) out at the group stage seems to be rife

you're better off staging it in countries where people will buy tickets for and attend more games for the "neutrals" ie in India you might get good crowds for India games but are they any good coordinating or getting people in (visas), buying tickets etc to attend for the other 9+ countries 'also' happen to be there?!?!?

just reading this event (1.250m) exceeded attendance from previous record in 2015 (1.016m), for me that's feeble for a supposed nation of cricket crazy fans

populations of hosts (2015-2023)
Australia 26.8m (New Zealand 5.26m)
England 56.5m (Wales 3.1m)
India 1.4bn

considering also the largest capacity ground in England and Wales is Lords (30k), aussies (and kiwis) somewhat larger with five of 37k-53.5k (20 games) and one of 100k (5 games) and India with 132k hosting 5 games, four of 38.2k-68.0k hosting 33 games you would like to think they'd exceed the record by more than a couple of 100k

From the stadia India played at, all but Hyderabad it seems, they could have filled them to 619k alone, half the tournament overall attendance. I am always sceptical of reported attendances tbf, announcements of a game at old toilet in football coming out with near if not at capacity with empty seats visible.

still for much of the final they made the empty seats look like they were filled, oh wait that was just silent Indians thought they and their team only had to turn up and see them walk to victory......!
would you like some fries to go with your salt?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I actually like the super 6 stage. Cricket doesn't have enough strong teams to justify quarter finals
I don’t mind the concept but the risk with results carrying through is you can be in dead rubber stage very quickly.

Plus I think we have enough good teams for quarters? If you look at the top 8 of the WC just gone any one of those sides could beat one of the others on their given day.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You need more than 8 good teams to justify having quarters. You need to have good teams missing out too, otherwise the group stage is just a procession like in '96

mr_mister

I think the '99 format nailed it best

The group stage knocked off some big names like the hosts England, the defending champs SL and the still decent West Indies, so it was actually a useful group stage unlike in '96

Then in the super six stage a team that carried full points over in Zimbabwe missed out on SF qualification, and a team that carried none in Aus made it through, meaning no dead rubbers

Granted Zim over achieving in the group stage helped make the format look more interesting but I think 6 teams is the perfect amount of teams qualifying for a second stage in international cricket

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The online Indian butt hurt is still going and is rapidly making this my favourite WC of all time. I don’t know if it will ever end, but I hope it doesn’t

Burgey

Oh yeah, there’s also the collective victim complex which plagues the Indian cricket team and fan’s mentality. Always so hard done by, never just beaten by a better side or cost themselves a result by playing ****. Sydney 08 will always be the gold standard for this - all the whining, sending an umpire home of all things, saying how hard done by they were. All the while forgetting they lost 8 wickets after lunch on day five, including three in the last over to Michael Clarke of all people.

Just ****ing woeful. Stems from an ill-deserved sense of entitlement I suppose.

Burgey

Disappointed at the lack of reference to England hating. Will up the game

Flem274*

123/5
Still digging my heels in that the big pool stage followed by semis is awesome. We had 10 very competitive sides in a country known for being very harsh on teams who can't adjust, so I think the big pool stage would be even more competitive in more homogenous conditions like SA and England (which have grounds that assist pace and spin).

We're in a relative drought of ODIs due to all the ****ing bilateral T20 and WC every 18 months dribble. I would happily watch a 12 team big pool or even a 14 team one (maybe more practically, two groups of 7 and then a finals series of 5-6 teams).

mr_mister

Still digging my heels in that the big pool stage followed by semis is awesome. We had 10 very competitive sides in a country known for being very harsh on teams who can't adjust, so I think the big pool stage would be even more competitive in more homogenous conditions like SA and England (which have grounds that assist pace and spin).

We're in a relative drought of ODIs due to all the ****ing bilateral T20 and WC every 18 months dribble. I would happily watch a 12 team big pool or even a 14 team one (maybe more practically, two groups of 7 and then a finals series of 5-6 teams).
What you described in your final sentence is what we're getting