• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Assessment of the World Cup Assessment threads

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
SCC1 and Chris Hinton (two of the greats) have created fine assessment threads. But which one is superior iyo?
There is one that’s alarmingly blatant. The current holders of the trophy haven’t played enough ODIs…and now that they’ve played a string of games, they have improved leaps and bounds. Goes to show that if you take the format seriously it’ll get you far (See Netherlands).

The reason why the Proteas did so well (batting first) is because they treat the 50 overs as a T20. How I can elaborate here? Batting first, they were under no pressure to post a total and so their lickit batters made hay. We saw how they folded under the pressure of chasing.

India and Australia are the only teams that have shown that they are head and shoulders above the others…

I’ll add more as more thoughts come to mind…
A strong effort here from SCC. First one to post an assessment thread, gives some thoughts (not too cluttered) and invites himself and others to add their own thoughts with efficient use of ellipsis. Starts by focusing heavily on England, as all such threads should do.
Format was boring. Should never be this format again. We need to have 2 groups at the very least, I'm glad that this will happen in 2027

Teams

India - Making the most of home advantage, But i still think they are very beatable. Their batting has been class
South Africa - Excellent but have the tendency to throw in poor matches, historically they bottle key matches at the World Cup. Time will tell
Australia - Started off like a washed up joke, Ended up cruising into the Semis. Thanks to Maxwell
New Zealand - Batting has been good, Bowling decent but not enough quality and are the weakest of the Semi finalists

Afghanistan - Played really well, Have a young side and it bodes well for them if they are allowed to have more 50 over cricket. Maxwell heroics stopped them from the semis. It was that close
Pakistan - Always fail. They didn't really show anything that impressed me aside from the run chase vs Sri Lanka
England - A Joke, washed up team, relying on an injured player to deliver the good which he did once we was eliminated. Having the oldest team in history helped us be very poor. A joke..
Sri Lanka - Played well in parts, But a joke of which they need to sort themselves out very quickly
Bangladesh - Looked the weakest team in the competition. Lost to England, Beat Afghanistan summed them up. Internal crap as well
Netherlands - Didn't disgrace themselves. Picked up a credible win vs South Africa.
Gotta start by acknowledging Chris's alpha points for starting his own thread when a near-identical thread already exists near the top of the subforum he posted it in. Also is unashamed to seemingly assess the whole world cup already, despite it not yet being finished, in comparison with SCC's more humble aspiration of assessing only what has actually taken place to date. OP is more comprehensive in how is covers all the teams and comes across as more didactic, providing the final word rather than looking to float ideas and encourage further participation. Opening post is far less anglo-centric than SCC's. This is disappointing, as it is an aspect in which Chris usually excels.

I think both posters have added value to the CW cannon with their efforts here, and I look eagerly forward to their next projects. But I think I'll go with the OG World Cup assessment thread and slightly favour SCC1's.

How about you?

ataraxia

International Coach
Gotta start by acknowledging Chris's alpha points for starting his own thread when a near-identical thread already exists near the top of the subforum he posted it in. Also is unashamed to seemingly assess the whole world cup already, despite it not yet being finished, in comparison with SCC's more humble aspiration of assessing only what has actually taken place to date. OP is more comprehensive in how is covers all the teams and comes across as more didactic, providing the final word rather than looking to float ideas and encourage further participation. Opening post is far less anglo-centric than SCC's. This is disappointing, as it is an aspect in which Chris usually excels.
lmao