• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anderson to end Test career this summer

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson has himself said it'd be a stretch to make the Ashes in 18 months time but quite frankly he's the only one of our seamers who is pretty consistently fit.

Robinson will be out injured reaching for a second course, Wood will get injured buckling himself into the plane and Archer will get run over by a suitcase.
Fun fact (not for Trevor): 1980s NZ opener Trevor Franklin broke his leg when he was struck by a luggage trailer at Gatwick during the 1986 tour of England.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This sucks so hard. Seriously could be me done with cricket......been just hanging in for years now and this could be the last straw. I mean wtf even is cricket without James Anderson and Stuart Broad??

reyrey

U19 12th Man
What the incredibly popular Tailenders podcast, he's done commentary he is good at it, not as good as Broad, but he's pretty personable.

Again though as I'm posting in this thread I want to again say this is an appalling decision and makes me wish Bazza would **** off.

I mean clearly him and Stokes get on well and like ****ing playing golf, but stokes says again and again he wants the likes of Foakes, Leach and Anderson in his side because they're the best at what they do, yet (admittedly Leach probably injured) we'll have none of them for people that are just all-round mediocre.

Yeah I'm over-reacting but I don't ****ing care we have not got one better seam bowler than Jimmeh to line up, let alone three or four.
Commentary is also about delivery. Maybe they could go full circle and have Broad and Anderson doing all their commentary stints together. That would just be too funny to even consider complaining about.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I was like 19 when he debuted and will be 40 when he retires. That’s insane. What a wonderful career - I cannot believe a fast bowler can last for this many Tests. That’s such a testament to his skill and fitness.

He is a classical Test bowler, with classical skills that is so beautiful to watch. All the more endearing to me because he has played no IPL and barely played any T20s at all as far as I know.

In terms of ability with the swinging ball, one of the oldest and most fundamental skills in the game, there has never been anyone better.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Annoyingly, Jimmy is on 987 international wickets. Should give him a couple of T20s to help make the 1k more likely IMO

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What an incredible career. He is the last active cricketer who made his international debut when I was still at college. That alone brings so many emotions. So much has happened while he kept playing cricket for England.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
If he continues playing for his club this season I say wheel him out for a home T20 game vs Australia in September. It's post World cup so mostly an irrelevant cash grab series anyway.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If he continues playing for his club this season I say wheel him out for a home T20 game vs Australia in September. It's post World cup so mostly an irrelevant cash grab series anyway.
I have tickets for that so I’m not against it

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Should have been allowed to play the full series or at least 1-2 tests vs WI and then the opening test vs SL to finish off on his home ground.

Him playing 2-3 tests out of 6 wouldn't have done any harm to any prospects. Plus it would've allowed the English public to give him a fitting farewell. Just one test when he is bowling reasonably well seems quite harsh.

9 wickets to go past Shane Warne
13 wickets to get 1000 international wickets

Sadly likely to miss out on these incredible achievements too

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Should have been allowed to play the full series or at least 1-2 tests vs WI and then the opening home test vs SL.

Him playing 2-3 tests out of 6 wouldn't have done any harm to any prospects. Plus it would've allowed the English public to give him a fitting farewell. Just one test when he is bowling reasonably well seems quite harsh.

9 wickets to go past Shane Warne
13 wickets to get 1000 international wickets

Sadly likely to miss out on these incredible achievements too
It sounds like he would have been allowed it but decided if he wasn’t going to go on from there it was best for the team if he didn’t.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My daughter is 21, basically her entire life I have watched Jimmy playing for England and got frustrated at times I think in early days but he is a champion. What a career, so many memories.

In a way he is like Kumble, not the greatest of his ilk as others around were better but a total legend in his nation who will never be forgotten.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Annoyingly, Jimmy is on 987 international wickets. Should give him a couple of T20s to help make the 1k more likely IMO
I know people say ‘they don’t play for the milestones’ etc but man, why did they not just give him the summer?

what attack are we even expecting for the second Test? Scenes when someone breaks down during it anyway…