• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A thread for Marcus Harrises

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is for team members who have made an active contribution in helping the opposition to victory, in honour of Marcus Harris' ineptness with the bat and in the field at Headingley in 2019 assisting England to a remarkable come-from-behind win.

Michael Bracewell definitely taking the prize for New Zealand this time.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There must surely be a game where Kohli dropped 2-3 catches at slip and scored nothing.

Bolo.

International Captain
This is for team members who have made an active contribution in helping the opposition to victory, in honour of Marcus Harris' ineptness with the bat and in the field at Headingley in 2019 assisting England to a remarkable come-from-behind win.

Michael Bracewell definitely taking the prize for New Zealand this time.
The commentator at the end of the game said: ''My first reaction is to applaud the efforts of all 22 players involved''.

Starfighter

I actually made this thread on the premature premise that New Zealand would lose. It was close-run thing, and Bracewell had a big part in that.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Mohammed Asif and co joinibg firces not just to ruin a result but bring the entire game of cricket into dusrepute has got to be the logical end of this.

Burgey

Mohammed Asif and co joinibg firces not just to ruin a result but bring the entire game of cricket into dusrepute has got to be the logical end of this.
Yeah, but I think it’s implied in the OP that we’re talking about players actually doing their best and not trying to lose

Burgey

Kohli in last home BGT was utterly useless with the bat
Look, there’s out of form, then there’s genuinely having a quantifiably negative impact on your team’s performance. Kohli last time was nothing like that bad.

Harris at Headingley scored less runs than the catches he dropped/ misfields he made. Same
With a bracewell this test for NZand that’s without his bowling.

Like, there’s bad, and then there’s Marcus Harris Headingly bad.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Not much changed this time as well
He did well last test tbf. 44 in the first innings came at a very important point and copped a very dubious call. Looked about as good as I can remember him looking in redball since that 80 odd in the last Border gavaskar (Haven't watched that much indian redball cricket live in that time tbf).

Burgey

Yeah I thought Kohli’s footwork was right on point last game tbh. Was really decisive and compact.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He has often looked good technically in this period though. But what's been telling is his absolute lack of range as far scoring options and boundaries go. Unless that changes, it will continue to be that pretty 40s to 70s facing 100+ balls will be his ceiling. ??

Howe_zat

Audio File
Kamran Akmal at Trent Bridge in 2010 kept wicket so badly that he caused the Guardian to write

Kamran arrived here this year with the reputation of being one of the most hapless wicketkeepers ever to have survived in Test cricket for any length of time – 50 Tests and counting – and since then has done little to disabuse anyone of that impression. He can be calamitous. This is the Clouseau of keeping. If Tommy Cooper had ever taken up the gauntlets, this would be: "Gloves, ball, ball, gloves ... ground." Just like that. In England's first innings, Kamran's capacity to drop the ball cost his perspiring bowlers and his team dearly. He uses gloves made by a firm with long and close association with Trent Bridge and the suggestion, made over a drink with a company big wig on Friday, is that they should double his money to use those of a rival instead.
In this game he also made a pair with the bat.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
He did well last test tbf. 44 in the first innings came at a very important point and copped a very dubious call. Looked about as good as I can remember him looking in redball since that 80 odd in the last Border gavaskar (Haven't watched that much indian redball cricket live in that time tbf).
He is falling lbw like this time after again. Use the bat and the pad should be 2nd defence. Instead he is plonking bat and pad together. Today as well.

Getting starts, looking good but never converting. That is precisely the symptom of a batter who is on his last legs.

Ali TT

International Regular
Ashley Giles dropping Ponting in Adelaide, especially as he was brought in because his all round game offered more than Panesar, the more threatening bowler.

Saying that, Panesar's fielding was so bad that if he wasn't contributing with the ball he was a negative factor in the field. Even when he wasn't dropping catches in comical fashion, like off Mahela in Galle 2012, he had to be hidden in the field as his ground-fielding was Sunday league at best. Not only did it cost the team runs, it sapped morale. He is the only non-keeper I can recall who warranted dropping because of his fielding rather than his primary skill (as he was in that SL tour, with England winning the second test in Colombo a week later).

Molehill

International Captain
Ashley Giles dropping Ponting in Adelaide, especially as he was brought in because his all round game offered more than Panesar, the more threatening bowler.

Saying that, Panesar's fielding was so bad that if he wasn't contributing with the ball he was a negative factor in the field. Even when he wasn't dropping catches in comical fashion, like off Mahela in Galle 2012, he had to be hidden in the field as his ground-fielding was Sunday league at best. Not only did it cost the team runs, it sapped morale. He is the only non-keeper I can recall who warranted dropping because of his fielding rather than his primary skill (as he was in that SL tour, with England winning the second test in Colombo a week later).
I was just looking at Cricinfo's commentary on a Fleming innings from 2007 (see other thread) and found this little snippet. The genuine surprise that he'd taken an easy catch, and he'd just only just arrived in International Cricket too.

41.3 He's holed out to Monty! Slightly shorter from Collingwood, but it was a slower ball, and Panesar at mid-off held on to a simple chance that no doubt looked pretty difficult as it looped towards him! Could there be a late twist in this match?

Burgey

I was just looking at Cricinfo's commentary on a Fleming innings from 2007 (see other thread) and found this little snippet. The genuine surprise that he'd taken an easy catch, and he'd just only just arrived in International Cricket too.

41.3 He's holed out to Monty! Slightly shorter from Collingwood, but it was a slower ball, and Panesar at mid-off held on to a simple chance that no doubt looked pretty difficult as it looped towards him! Could there be a late twist in this match?
Surprised to see Paul Collingwood’s name pop up on the boards twice in 24 hours…

Ping @Smudge

Starfighter

Abdullah Shafique for ongoing Pakistan vs Australia series. Dropped catches distinctly outweighing rather meagre batting contributions.