• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storer

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wasn't a good performance at all, but how would most teams go losing 5 or more of there top 10 players?

How longs Fletcher out for? Hopefully not long, can't stand Johns
Yeah, shocking with the injuries. I am a fellow Bomber supporter.

Davey(Knee), Lucas(Knee), Hille(Occasional Shoulder pain), Scott Gumbleton(Hamstring), McVeigh(Hamstring), Leroy Jetta(Hamstring), Lonergan(Hamstring), plus Hooker I think.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Note to Essendon, you aren't Geelong. They aren't exactly helping themselves by trying to emulate Geelongs handball from HB through the midfield. Sure it might work occasionally, but it's quite obvious they don't have the skill to do it, and imo it's the main reason why they were smashed yesterday.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Note to Essendon, you aren't Geelong. They aren't exactly helping themselves by trying to emulate Geelongs handball from HB through the midfield. Sure it might work occasionally, but it's quite obvious they don't have the skill to do it, and imo it's the main reason why they were smashed yesterday.
We play to win premierships may as well try and get to that standard.

Injury list is as follows: Dempsey, Hislop, Lonergan, Gumbleton, Jetta, Mcveigh, Lucas, Hocking, Lee, Davey and Fletcher. Thats 8 possibly 9 top 22 players. No team can cope with that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Carlton really aren't that bad. They could even make finals this year, and definitely next. Adelaide played really good football after quarter time and it wasn't until almost 3/4 time that Carlton dropped away. They rely a bit too much on Fevola and Judd though.

Really good thing about the last few wins, but especially today for an Adelaide fan is how many of the key players are really young and new to their role in the team. Griffin and Tippett are both great talents, Griffin was especially good today, and Porplyzia, Vince, Douglas, Bock etc. are in great form.

Bock murdered Fevola today after Rutten got injured, possibly his best game of the year, and he's in All Australian form. Fevola hardly touched it and Bock had 20+ disposals. Burton was BoG though, dominated up forward.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Sides that definately won't make the 8: Melbourne, Essendon and West Coast. Other than that, it'll be pretty close from 6th-13th.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year

Injury list is as follows: Dempsey, Hislop, Lonergan, Gumbleton, Jetta, Mcveigh, Lucas, Hocking, Lee, Davey and Fletcher. Thats 8 possibly 9 top 22 players. No team can cope with that.
You are overstating the importance of players like Hislop, Lonergan, Jetta, Hocking and Lee - its akin to me complaining if the Dogs were without Addison, Harbrow, Hill, McDougall and Eagleton. They are fringe players.

Yes the Dons are being hit by injuries but no worse than Brisbane last year who came home with a wet sail. Nor is it as bad as the Dogs in 2006 and they won a final.

Knights doesn't have the cattle to play the game he is at the moment - and you aren't going to get to that standard by getting flogged using the one style of footy and having no Plan B.

mikeW

You are overstating the importance of players like Hislop, Lonergan, Jetta, Hocking and Lee - its akin to me complaining if the Dogs were without Addison, Harbrow, Hill, McDougall and Eagleton. They are fringe players.

Yes the Dons are being hit by injuries but no worse than Brisbane last year who came home with a wet sail. Nor is it as bad as the Dogs in 2006 and they won a final.

Knights doesn't have the cattle to play the game he is at the moment - and you aren't going to get to that standard by getting flogged using the one style of footy and having no Plan B.
Lonergan, Jetta and Hocking are best 22 players and would give us much more than the likes of Johns, Slattery, Laycock, Monfries, Pears (ATM), and Welsh(most overrated player in the comp, King of the cheap and pointless possies). Our depth probably isn't too flash but with so many key players out, we will struggle to win a game before the half way mark of the season.

Johnners

You should be trying to play to your strengths, and Knights clearly isn't doing that by trying to get them to handball through the midfield. It's a style of play that obviously doesn't suit the players you have right now, and as SBI said, you aren't going to get better by getting smashed with that one style, and having no plan B.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lonergan, Jetta and Hocking are best 22 players and would give us much more than the likes of Johns, Slattery, Laycock, Monfries, Pears (ATM), and Welsh(most overrated player in the comp, King of the cheap and pointless possies). Our depth probably isn't too flash but with so many key players out, we will struggle to win a game before the half way mark of the season.
Who the hell is Hocking? I'm seriously not trying to insult him or Essendon here, because I pride myself on knowing most if not all Footy players (particularly for DT players) but I have no idea who he is.

Btw, you underrate Laycock and Slatters IMO. What is Johns still doing on your list is the question, and why is Monfries so soft and one dimensional for a top 10 draftee?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Who the hell is Hocking? I'm seriously not trying to insult him or Essendon here, because I pride myself on knowing most if not all Footy players (particularly for DT players) but I have no idea who he is.
Doesn't even have a wikipedia article. :ph34r:

mikeW

Btw, you underrate Laycock and Slatters IMO. What is Johns still doing on your list is the question, and why is Monfries so soft and one dimensional for a top 10 draftee?
Heath Hocking is a hard at it onballer, was promoted off the rookie list and was earmarked for a best 22 possie before OP kicked in.

Laycock is a deadset spastic and should be dropped, giving Hille no support at all. Slattery has very little going for him, all parts to his game are very average. Shouldn't be on an AFL list. Johns will be delisted this year as will Monfries unless he lifts his game getting fed up with him big time.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
walking up to the dome in a minute, then after the game i've got to get accross to the MCG for the Hawthorn/Richmond game cos its a couple of my mates last weekend in Melbourne and they wanted to go to a game at the G.

Anyway, not that confident about us today for some reason, but we should sneak it by less than 20, hopefully Jones can kick straight this week

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jono's probs never had Hocking in his DT(s)..
Haha fair dig at me.

Hocking's played one game of AFL football. To be crying about such an injury having a result on Essendon's win/loss ratio is so ridiculous.

Btw, is Tredrea back?

Last edited:

mikeW

Haha fair dig at me.

Hocking's played one game of AFL football. To be crying about such an injury having a result on Essendon's win/loss ratio is so ridiculous.

Btw, is Tredrea back?
You haven't seen Hocking play so your not really in a good possie to comment on him.

Johnners

Bit hard to have seen him play when he's only played 1 game.... If a 1 game player is going to make THAT much a difference to the Bombers, you really do have a ****ty roster.

mikeW

Bit hard to have seen him play when he's only played 1 game.... If a 1 game player is going to make THAT much a difference to the Bombers, you really do have a ****ty roster.
Maybe he has strengths that are our major weakness atm? 8-)

Hard at it clearance player who dominated in the VFL last year (rookie listed) including a 38 possie 3 goal game in a losing finals team.

Status
Not open for further replies.