• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Only under lights against SL or Pak. Was the biggest let down in the last BG Trophy, which no one seems to talk about for some reason.
Interesting how wickets against Sri Lanka don't count for Starc yet do count for Jhye Richardson. Not a criticism of Jhye, whom I rate highly, but a pretty clear indication of major cherry picking on your behalf

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
30% Draw according to WinViz seems weird. If they last the rest of the day they'll probably win the game.
Nah, they're going at threes today now with two set batsmen and the field up. I don't think there's enough overs left for them to win without a substantial upping of the tempo, even allowing for what Pant has done.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know what you’re saying but remember no Asian side - none - had ever won in Australia before. Ever. Against worse Australian sides.
But that was with a full strength side and yes it was a huge accomplishment. But India on this tour have been more impressive, seeing their second and third tier players step up like they have. Coming back from 36ao. It's genuinely been a great tour from them. More impressive than 2018 given the circumstances.

AnthonyC

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pant can bat like this but couldn't keep...
One of the challenges of batting last is that you are at have usually had to field for 2 innings before coming out to bat, that places physical and mental fatigue. Pant having got to sit round and rest and be under none of the mental challenges of keeping is a huge advantage. This is almost like having a designated batter (for the pitcher) in baseball.

So India got a better keeper for Aus 2nd innings and a batter rested from not having the keep or field. Look at the improved batting stats for Sanga or ABdV when not keeping, huge boost.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, they're going at threes today now with two set batsmen and the field up. I don't think there's enough overs left for them to win without a substantial upping of the tempo, even allowing for what Pant has done.
Agreed. Lots of things Australia can do to shut it down if India actually start getting close. 5% is about right.

morgieb

Gutsy from India. Good recovery from Lyon though after Pant hit him hard for a few overs.

Next 10 overs might be key. If the non-Lyon bowler gets attacked and they're still 3 down I expect them to believe.

They need 201 runs, 60 overs are left. That needs a run-rate of 3.35, which doesn't seem that difficult especially if India up the tempo (which I expect they will if a win looks plausible in the last session).

trundler

2nd new ball will crush all hope I think. Variable bounce + movement is a tough ask to negotiate. Better not waste those reviews, Tim.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Gutsy from India. Good recovery from Lyon though after Pant hit him hard for a few overs.

Next 10 overs might be key. If the non-Lyon bowler gets attacked and they're still 3 down I expect them to believe.

They need 201 runs, 60 overs are left. That needs a run-rate of 3.35, which doesn't seem that difficult especially if India up the tempo (which I expect they will if a win looks plausible in the last session).
This is the absolute ideal scenario though. If Pant goes at any point between now and the first hour after tea, India's run rate will slow to a crawl (they've only got 10 fit batsmen remember), and the draw will become the only other viable result (especially if Pujara remains at the other end). There's a difference between saying "India still have a chance to win this" and "A win is more likely than a draw".

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean India are effectively four down with regards to the target (Jadeja isn't coming out until #11 and he certainly won't be playing shots). I don't see it as realistic with the new ball due in an hour. And Aus have created quite a few chances and half-chances, those tend to go to hand eventually.

Got a real chance of saving it ofc. Pitch is pretty placid and confidence must be pretty high.

cnerd123

likes this
Couldn't really have asked for a better session. Hope these two keep going. Still a long way to go and things can unravel quick.

Athlai

Not Terrible
GAS likes to pretend Starc is way better than he is. The only reason he annoys me so much is that he's so underwhelming. Seriously overrated bowler and his filthiness always flies under the radar. More limited than Anderson.
Starc is h4x. Higher ceiling than anyone

Spark

Global Moderator
starc is exactly what he looks like: a bowler with an objectively excellent test record who nonetheless feels like he has underperformed his raw talent, and is somewhat inconsistent as he can throw in really, really bad performances from time to time.

Last edited: