• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

29th Match - Pakistan v South Africa (7th March 2015)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could Pakistan gamble on the WI NRR not going up too much though, could thrash UAE and get through via the backdoor. So many equations, great group thanks to Ireland.
Actually...even if the Windies were to restrict the UAE to 200 off 50 & then got them in the 30th over, their overall NRR would still be -0.05 (from -0.511), but it's near impossible for Pakistan to both lose to Ireland & get their NRR ahead of the Windies remembering Pakistan are currently -0.19 which is why I say if Ireland to get up over Pakistan, NZ will face Pakistan in the quarter..

James

Cricket Web Owner
Here's the points table now & the way I see it is the Windies can only get to 6 points & probably get their NRR just into positive territory at best if they get a huge win over UAE.

Pakistan can cement 3rd by winning against Ireland and getting to 8 points..If they lose to Ireland, it will be a battle between the two sides NRR which Pakistan are currently ahead (-0.19) vs Ireland's (-1.13) and India are likely to damage Ireland's NRR further.

So yeah, India beating Ireland and Pakistan losing to Ireland would mean a NZ/Pak quarter. (assuming WI beat UAE comfortably).

Interesting for Pakistan whether they want to play Australia by beating Ireland or NZ by losing the game and still going through on NRR.

View attachment 21883
Nice work with the post Zinzan. Even though I'd like to see Ireland beat Pakistan, for the Black Caps benefit, I'd rather they didn't if what you say holds true.

Pakistan's pace attack is seriously good, and their confidence will be sky high after this win. They're coming right at the business end of the tournament....

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan is like the reverse SL, can bowl, can't bat, most of the time neither can field, and both appear to be making a well timed WC charge...

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
SA have screwed us so hard this tournament. Getting destroyed in that one game will probably knock us out.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Nice work with the post Zinzan. Even though I'd like to see Ireland beat Pakistan, for the Black Caps benefit, I'd rather they didn't if what you say holds true.

Pakistan's pace attack is seriously good, and their confidence will be sky high after this win. They're coming right at the business end of the tournament....
They were impressive today, but as I said earlier, I still think it was hugely different in '92 when Pakistan had 4 ATGs in that side & NZ only had Crowe. For me NZ have better personnel this time around and would need to play well below par to lose.

Last edited:

Zinzan

If we beat Zim, and one of Pak/India, we still go through over WI though.
Actually, you're right that will get them to 8 points, I wasn't factoring the points they get today if they win.

Which means they really want to win this by 80-100 runs to help their NRR.

Zinzan

Here's the points table now & the way I see it is the Windies can only get to 6 points & probably get their NRR just into positive territory at best if they get a huge win over UAE.

Pakistan can cement 3rd by winning against Ireland and getting to 8 points..If they lose to Ireland, it will be a battle between the two sides NRR which Pakistan are currently ahead (-0.19) vs Ireland's (-1.13) and India are likely to damage Ireland's NRR further.

So yeah, India beating Ireland and Pakistan losing to Ireland would mean a NZ/Pak quarter. (assuming WI beat UAE comfortably).

Interesting for Pakistan whether they want to play Australia by beating Ireland or NZ by losing the game and still going through on NRR.

View attachment 21883
James...correction on the above,

If Ireland do win today, lose to India & beat Pakistan, they will go to 8 points and nail 3rd regardless. Then it would be battle of NRR between the Windies & Pakistan who would both be on 6 points...and the Windies would almost certainly be higher if Pakistan do lose to Ireland.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So do you guys think AB played a poor shot to get out? All the shots he played until then were played from the crease. Charging out with no specific plan of where he wanted to hit was not the best idea I think.

Niall

International Coach
So do you guys think AB played a poor shot to get out? All the shots he played until then were played from the crease. Charging out with no specific plan of where he wanted to hit was not the best idea I think.
They needed 32 off 89, it was really ill advised, if this was a knock out game, he would never be forgiven.

Zinzan

Not sure you can say that when almost all the guy's incredible recent success has been based on either staying in his crease & then occasionally moving down the track, which he did then . It was a really good short ball & he just didn't quite execute it.

flibbertyjibber

It was all on him, he has enough in the bank for him to decide how he was going to get the runs, for once he failed. Can't be too hard on him.

At least it proves he is human and not a machine.

_Ed_

It rained again soon after the game ended - I'm sure someone in the camp was watching the radar and passed a message out to him. With 8 wickets down they were badly off under D/L. He was trying to get quick runs.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Actually does anyone know the D/L method enough to calculate if South africa has the winning total when it rained at the end?