• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/Twenty Cricket: A Survey.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Twenty/20 Survey

Name: Andrew Garven

Cricket team you follow (country):Australia

Years you've been following cricket: 15

Do you play/have played cricket as a part of a league?: yes

What is your favourite form of cricket? Tests, ODI's, 20/20, other: ODI

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being lowest 10 being highest) rate the forms of cricket:

Tests= 9

ODI's= 10

20/Twenty= 9

Other (please specify)=

Do you regularly watch cricket on television, or listen to it via radio/internet? Y/N: yeah

Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc: no

How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all: often

Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not):

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): no watching the best of Australia play together is awsome

Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not): Yes, it is great for introducing new people to cricket, and for those with short attention spans

Additional comments:

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Twenty/20 Survey

Name: Rich Hingston

Cricket team you follow (country): South Africa

Years you've been following cricket: 9

Do you play/have played cricket as a part of a league?: Yes

What is your favourite form of cricket? Tests, ODI's, 20/20, other: Tests

Tests= 9

ODI's= 8

20/Twenty= 3

Other (please specify)=

Do you regularly watch cricket on television, or listen to it via radio/internet? Yes

Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc: Nope

How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all: Regularly

Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not): Nope - Because you can't fit it in the already draining schedule, and I think Twenty20 should be kept as a club format

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): Yes - Because international cricket doesn't need it, the whole point is to bring crowds to the domestic game

Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not): No - because it's money making abilities have the potential for overkill, could take over the cricket calender and we could be seeing less test match cricket. I also don't believe it brings many genuine cricket fans into the game, Twenty20 fans will not sit in front of your average test match

Additional comments: Nop!

danish

U19 12th Man
Tom Halsey said:
:laugh:

I love random comments.
Unless they're genuinely funny, they just make the person who said it look stupid.
Fortunately, LE was not made to look stupid on this occasion.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
danish said:
Unless they're genuinely funny, they just make the person who said it look stupid.
Fortunately, LE was not made to look stupid on this occasion.
What do you mean 'on this occasion'?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Twenty/20 Survey

Name: Stephen Burke

Cricket team you follow (country): Australia

Years you've been following cricket: 12

Tests= 10

ODI's= 8

20/Twenty= 4

Other (please specify)= First-class = 7

Do you regularly watch cricket on television, or listen to it via radio/internet? Y/N: Yes to all

Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc: No

How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all: Often

Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not): Yes, but probably not as long

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): No

Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not): Yes, any form of cricket is good as long as it is the right serving

TIF

U19 Debutant
Twenty/20 Survey

Name: TIF

Cricket team you follow (country): India, but I happen to support all Asian teams in general.

Years you've been following cricket: 14 (Since 1992 World cup)

Do you play/have played cricket as a part of a league?: No

What is your favourite form of cricket? Tests, ODI's, 20/20, other: ODIs

Tests= 10

ODI's= 9.5

20/Twenty= 5

Other (please specify)=

Do you regularly watch cricket on television, or listen to it via radio/internet? Y/N: Yes, I regularly watch almost all cricket matches on TV.

Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc: No, I just dont care about 20/20 as Test and ODI cricket are the real thing. ODI was invented to have a cricket match getting over in a day and 50 overs is just fine for cricket, atleast it gives something for the bowlers as well.

How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all: Sometimes

Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not): No, There is no reason for a 20/20 world cup to take place as some Asian countries dont find 20/20 to be a good format and dont wish to play it at an international level. With only 6-8 test-nations playing out of 10, it wont make much of a sense to have it.

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): No. Domestic cricketers, especially bowlers are on a developing level and its not good to have them play 20/20 as it tends to dent a bowlers confidence after he gets smashed for a lot of runs.

Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not): No, its not a good thing. It was initially meant to draw in crowds in England and to spread cricket in USA and other European countries and it should stay that way, not become another form of cricket as Asian teams havent shown too much support for it.

Additional comments: Read my posts above.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Name: Daniel Towns

Country: NZ born, living in Scotland for last 4 years. Not sure which you're after.

Cricket team you follow (country): NZ

Years you've been following cricket: ...good question. Approximately 10 years.

Do you play/have played cricket as a part of a league?: Nope.

What is your favourite form of cricket? Tests, ODI's, 20/20, other: ...ODIs. Just.

Tests=9

ODI's=10

20/Twenty=8

Other (please specify)=7 (Cricket Max)

Do you regularly watch cricket on television, or listen to it via radio/internet? Y/N: Yes

Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc: Yes

How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all: Hardly ever

Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not): Sure. It would be nice to see the best players in the world all competing in a slogfest, even if it's just for fun. Why not?

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): No, I don't see any decent reason to not have the best players of the world playing against each other - that would be on par with restricting any other format to domestic despite it doing well. Silly.

Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not): Yes, it highlights the sport to a larger audience and it helps to heighten skills.

Additional comments: If your assignment is due 4th March onwards, put me down as age 22 :p

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Loony BoB said:
Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not): Sure. It would be nice to see the best players in the world all competing in a slogfest, even if it's just for fun. Why not?

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): Sure
That not a contradiction?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Twenty/20 Survey

Name: peter

Cricket team you follow (country): England

Years you've been following cricket: 26

Do you play/have played cricket as a part of a league?: no

Tests= 10

ODI's= 3

20/Twenty= 9

Other (please specify)=

Do you regularly watch cricket on television, or listen to it via radio/internet? Y/N:
Y
Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc:Yes, I live a longish way from a County cricket ground, and I hate getting up in the mornings

How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all:occasionally

Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not):Yes first to take over the pointless ICC trophy, and then the tiresome World Cup, give it about twenty yers though

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): no more of it the better I'd say

Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not):Yes, its exciting, brings the kids in and shows up 50-overs games to be the pedestrian nightmares they are, the convenience for media and spectators is also a massive plus

Additional comments:no

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Twenty/20 Survey

Name: Dale

Cricket team you follow (country):As above

Years you've been following cricket: 20+

Tests= 10

ODI's= 7

20/Twenty= 8

Other (please specify)= County cricket: 7; Domestic ODs: 7

Do you regularly watch cricket on television, or listen to it via radio/internet? Y/N: Yes

Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc: No. Even with evening starts I'm a fair distance from my nearest county ground (Essex), so it would still probably mean a day off work to go.

How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all: On occasion.

Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not): Yes. It could replace the ICC Champions Trophy, which is essentially a poor-man's world cup anyway.

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): No. I personally find it more exciting & less formulaic than ODIs, which are mind-numbing from overs 15-40.

Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not): Yes. It's created an interest in the sport amongst folk other than us cricket tragics. I don't know if the statistics back my contention up or not, but with the reality of modern life I'd guess v few parents have the time or inclination take their kids to FC county games & even ODs require a whole day out of a weekend. I like to think of 20/20 as a gateway drug to the harder stuff! :p

Additional comments: I rule! :D

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Twenty/20 Survey

Name: Arunava Das
Cricket team you follow (country): India
Years you've been following cricket: 10
Tests= 10
ODI's= 6
20/Twenty= 4
Other (please specify)= Domestic FC - 9, Domestic List-A - 7
Do you regularly watch cricket on television, or listen to it via radio/internet? Y/N: Y
Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc: No.
How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all: Regularly.
Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not): No. If an interntional tournament was started, it would be better to be in a knockout format. The number of matches in a World Cup would get tiresome all played in the Twenty20 format.
Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): Yes. It's a good medium to get people interested in cricket and for people with time constraints to attend cricket. I think the international calendar doesn't need anything extra for people to attend.
Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not): Good for the crowds it brings and the interest it creates in the game, bad for encouraging further poor technique and discouraging bowlers even more than ODIs have already done.
Additional comments: None.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Thanks for all the responses guys. Turns out I need another 5 now. Same questions...:)

adharcric

International Coach
Twenty/20 Survey

Name: Akhil

Cricket team you follow (country): India

Years you've been following cricket: 8

What is your favourite form of cricket? Tests, ODI's, 20/20, other: ODIs

Tests= 9

ODI's= 8

20/Twenty= 4

Other (please specify)=

Do you regularly watch cricket on television, or listen to it via radio/internet? Y/N: Y

Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc: N

How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all: Hardly ever

Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not): No, the World Cup will lose its charm. As it is, the World Cup is already popular enough so there's no reason to play short matches there for a popularizing effect.

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): Yes, it will make domestic cricket more popular. No harm done.

Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not): Yes, it makes the game more interesting.

Additional comments: Cricket is awesome. :)

pasag

RTDAS
Twenty/20 Survey

Name: Pasag

Cricket team you follow (country): Australia

Years you've been following cricket: 5

Do you play/have played cricket as a part of a league?: No

Tests= 10

ODI's= 7

20/Twenty= 5

Other (please specify)=

Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc: No, will always make time for cricket

How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all: Often

Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not): No, the players play enough and are beoming too burdened at the expense of the ofer forms of cricket. Also they are becoming more injury proned

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not):Yes, domestic cricket hs become stale and noone really cares about it, it needs to find a niche

Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not): Its ok in small measures

Additional comments: Twenty20, is purley for profit and not in the interest of the game, it is for people with ADD to get their excitment fix and I dont think the ICC should be trying to market to those people. Its a novelty, thats it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Twenty/20 Survey

Name: Kev

Cricket team you follow (country): England

Years you've been following cricket: 15+

Tests= 10

ODI's= 3

20/Twenty= 6

Other (please specify)=

Are you more likely to attend a Twenty/20 match than a Test or an ODI because of the short amount of time it takes up, and being able to go after work etc: Yes

How often do you attend cricket matches? (International, domestic, club)? Regularly/Often/Sometimes/On occasion/Hardly ever/Not at all: Sometimes

Should there be a 20/Twenty world cup in the same format as the current world cup? (Give reason why/why not): No. Current WC format is too long and complicated. 20/Tw format should be simple

Should 20/Twenty be played exclusively as a domestic competition? (Give reason why/why not): No. Great to watch top players going at it and it creates additional revenue and demographics

Overall, is Twenty/20 a good thing? (Give reason why/why not): Yes. Its far more important and logical than 50 over cricket. It is everything 50 over cricket should be without the rubbish. It is also so different to test cricket that it is no real threat. Different markets. Anything that gets people into cricket grounds is a good idea.

Additional comments: