• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

18th Match - India v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
Irritatingly I wrote a two paragraph response describing my thoughts on this that was just swallowed by the ether.

The TLDR, Henry is a spud, got smashed for 107 two weeks ago and semi smashed by Afghanistan. Loses it when he gets smacked around.

Southee in the last 12 months has bowled better all round and is less likely to get entirely obliterated, particularly if he is returning after his first spell. Also its England and cloudy so Southee is better.

Would take Bennett over both though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Irritatingly I wrote a two paragraph response describing my thoughts on this that was just swallowed by the ether.

The TLDR, Henry is a spud, got smashed for 107 two weeks ago and semi smashed by Afghanistan. Loses it when he gets smacked around.

Southee in the last 12 months has bowled better all round and is less likely to get entirely obliterated, particularly if he is returning after his first spell. Also its England and cloudy so Southee is better.
Again, nah. Southee's played a measly 6 ODI's in the last 12 months, and taken 9 wickets at 32.66 and an ER of 5.9. It's not terrible by the standards of his past 4 years, but it's hardly anything that demands selection either. Henry has 18 wickets at 29.05 and an ER of 5.3. He's just bowling better.

He got smashed in a warm-up game and was bowling consistently slower than he has in the tournament proper. And in any case, this is just a classic case of saying "That player is crap, look at all the times he's bowled crap and let's just ignore the times he's bowled well. They doesn't matter because reasons."

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Google says 40% chance of precipitation in Nottingham. Will we be lucky to get a game? :)

Anon E Mousie

Cricket Spectator
What is going on with Hesson, Mills, etc (other nation's journalists) all of a sudden clamoring for southee to replace henry?? Do his 7 wickets in 3 matches not count for anything?? Why is this Southee nightmare coming back....thought we were finally over this.
From what I understand the theory is that Southee needs to get match fit in case of injury or form problems to Henry.I tend to agree with that,but also think if the track and conditions are more suitable for Southee then he should get a bowl. Subject to his fitness of course.

Anon E Mousie

Cricket Spectator
I've been so looking forward to this match, it's like the start of the WC for me. The first real competition. I've been sorting out my body clock so I can stay up all night and watch it, without stuffing up at work.
But alas - looks like I'll be watching rain :@

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Google says 40% chance of precipitation in Nottingham. Will we be lucky to get a game? :)
~40-50% chance every hour for 6-7 hours. Almost guaranteed some rain will fall. Personally I don't see this game being completed

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I've been so looking forward to this match, it's like the start of the WC for me. The first real competition. I've been sorting out my body clock so I can stay up all night and watch it, without stuffing up at work.
But alas - looks like I'll be watching rain :@
Welcome to the forum. There might be some good youtube videos of rain that you can watch in daytime without compromising your sleep :ph34r:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Rather it gets washed out than we have an abridged match. Shorter format suits NZ more, especially with our unsettled top order.

Anon E Mousie

Cricket Spectator
Welcome to the forum. There might be some good youtube videos of rain that you can watch in daytime without compromising your sleep :ph34r:
Gee thanks ankitj, -for your welcome. But youtube probably have allegedly soothing sounds of rain on a tin roof rather than the willow on leather that my cricket soul craves.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's an hour before the game, why has no English bloke posted a picture of a road near the ground yet so we can all determine if it's raining or not

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Surprise surprise it's a delayed toss.

Interesting how the careers of Kohli and Williamson have been running in parallel, almost - can recall them being opposing captains during the under-19 World Cup in 2008, both debuted in tests within a year of each other, rose to become the premier batsman in their respective sides and graduated to test captaincy about a year apart IIRC.

Last edited: