• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Suggesting that someone younger than your captain is too old is never good.
Even in real life you can hardly claim you're significantly older than me.
A whole 10 days...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
DAILY BLAST

Webheads Brace For Testing Times
by Kwase Knight

Once again the time has come around for Test cricket. All full of hope and expectations, the Cricket Web XI fans have constantly been disappointed by their team in Test match cricket. 38 Tests, just 6 wins. One Day International success has been far more frequent, yet now, as South Africa prepare to travel, even that form has departed.

The Webheads returned early from the VB Series in Australia, when dismal batting accounted for their dismissal in the preliminary stages. With confidence undoubtedly seeping out in that experience, the CW XI enters this Test series as massive underdogs. Indeed, the Webheads have not faced such steep odds since their first ever Test series, ironically against South Africa.

Huge efforts must be made if the XI is to even approach victory over their African counterparts. A brief profile of the key players in the event of such a scenario:

Brendon J. Goff (Captain)

The pressure which will be fed to incumbent captain Brendon Goff during this series is monumental to be quite plain. For years an underachiever with the bat, Goff carries a disappointing Test average of 28.84 into the series. A closer look shows scores of 18, 16, 2, 34, 8 and 6 in the last Test series. He made his debut against South Africa at Cape Town more than 7 seasons ago, scoring 30 and 15 in a 9-wicket defeat. Since then, Goff has played 30 more Tests. In his 12 games as captain, the CW XI has won just 2 and his batting average stands at 27.13.

Neil S. Pickup

The vice-captain of the CW XI, Pickup has mirrored his captain in the field of underachievement. In 28 Tests, Pickup has taken 95 wickets, but the individual price is disappointing at 34.43. For a legspinner of the quality of Neil Pickup, the results at Test level are unflattering. It is known that the South Africans have a weakness against quality wrist spin, so Pickup may well be the key to the Cricket Web bowling attack if he can expose such flaws. His form is not the greatest though. Pickup enters the series on a prolonged run of unpenetrative ODI bowling, but with 20 decent wickets in his last 6 Tests.

Simon G. Fitzsimmons

No one is more interested in facing the tourists now than Simon Fitzsimmons. The bold Australia-born strokeplayer is currently in the form of his life, with domestic centuries flowing off his bat. His Test average is just 33.06, but if there was any time for him to turn that around, it is now. Not only is the form present this season, but Fitzsimmon's last Test match featured a highly rated hundred against the touring Sri Lankans. Simon Fitzsimmons played in the inaugural CW XI Test match, against South Africa, and scored 35 and 41 batting at number three.

David M. Kennett

Perhaps the player with the most to prove heading into the series, David Kennett is in the process of a revival of his cricketing career after a period in the wilderness. Whilst his debut came against South Africa (19-6-44-2), Kennett fell out of favour with the selectors and out of form with the ball for a long period of time. He then rediscovered a passion for the game and forced his way back into the side for the home series against Sri Lanka last season. Now his career turns full circle. Once again he lines up against rivals South Africa and CWLand hopes, as a bowler prepared to grasp his destiny.

Kyle S. Wright

Considered by the media to be the leader of the CW XI attack, Kyle Wright's place was far from certain until the last Test series. After a promising start to his Test career, Wright struggled mightily in Pakistan in a couple seasons ago, taking just 1 wicket in the 3-Test series. The form dip left major uncertainty in the mind of the young man. Alas, the selectors kept faith in his ability and he was retained for the XI's first ever home stand. The results were immediate. With 5 wickets in the first Test and 13 in all 3, Wright laid claim as the best Test seamer in the system. His average of 28.05 does leave room for improvement, but it also represents the best in CW XI Test history. Now the attention shifts to see whether or not Wright can put together two successful series in succession.

Andrew P. Cloete

By far the most accomplished of Cricket Web batsmen, Andrew Cloete always seems to be the focal point for the XI heading into a Test series. Yes, Cloete has only managed 57 runs in his last 6 Test innings, but his aggregate of 3518 Test runs is testament to his class. With an average of 54.12 and the highest score in CW XI Test history - 240 - among his 9 Test centuries, Andrew Cloete is the centre piece of the Cricket Web batting. His 240 brought the first Test win for XI, scored in the second match against South Africa on the inaugural tour. Such rich history emphasizes his importance to the team.

I am not going to mislead you, the public, in any way. My prediction for this series is a comprehensive victory for South Africa. Ideally I would like to see competitive cricket from the XI and possibly a chase until the 5th Test, but with history as my guide, I do not see the potential of such an occurrence.

The hope is surely that this will be the series to change history though, as things only get harder after, with tours of India and Sri Lanka in the near future. It will take a special effort by this special team.

This historic series marks the return of the XI to competition against it's first opponents. As was the case last time around, the confidence and the cards are in the hands of Graeme Smith.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
great read... it only makes me want to bowl better in the Dev. League! best of luck to you all.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great to hear those words of encouragement. I sure hope I can live up to expectations. I've had a good season, hopefully I can improve on that with an excellent test series.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Good luck to the Reds in the team, and of course to everyone else who makes the team! Let's go, CWers, put your support behind the lads!

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
CAUGHT AND BOWLED MONTHLY

THE TRUTH IS OUT

Jason Toogood: Superstud or drug addicted psychopath?

At the end of Season 6 Jason Toogood was thought to be one of the best talents of the last decade and maybe the best ever to come out ow CWLand.

But now Caught and Bowled Monthly is shocked to reveal that, with a world exclusive, Jason Toogood was yesterday sentenced to life imprisonment for possesion of Class A+++ drugs and 6 murders in the streets of the town of Brycumber in the state of Bryceshire.

Toogood was a batsman who bowled, a faux all-rounder of sorts. At the end of Season 7 his First Class batting average was 49.56 with a high score of 151 and 11 centuries. His bowling average was 33.44 with 63 wickets and 1 five wicket haul. Jason wasn't as good as his FC game, but then again very few players in the world had such a good FC record. He averaged 45.50 with a high score of 93, the closest he ever got to a century. He averaged 32.39 with the ball, his best bowling was 3/28 and he had taken 23 wickets.
He had played just 52 First Class matches and 40 OD matches. What talent wasted. How long will it be until the CWXI finds such a talent? Will their ever be such talent in CWLand again? Toogood never played a ODI but took 9 test caps. Now the Cricket Web world must move on to hosting South Africa, but somewhere in everyone's mind will be the cricketing genius of Jason Toogood locked up in the Pickup County Jail, the highest security jail in the country.

Jason Toogood

FC Statistics
52 Matches
96 Innings
9 Not Out's
4312 Runs
Average: 49.56
25 x 50. 11 x 100.
HS: 151

817 Overs
63 Wickets
Average: 33.44