• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil Gavaskar vs Graham Gooch

Who was the better test batsman against high quality bowling?

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I'm well aware of what happened in the match, but I wouldn't say that scoring 66, while being dropped twice vs a Holding in his 2nd series accompanied by Holder, Daniel and Julien proves beyond a shadow of a doubt you were great on fast pitches.

Please note I voted for Sunny, but he was notoriously below par on quick pitches.
That's what I was pointing to. I am not saying it proves without a shadow of doubt, but century in Perth and Adelaide vs Thomson, and that 66; they do indicate he wasn't notoriously bad on quick pitches, mediocre at worst.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
In Australia, Thomson was nearly as successful as Lillee. And no one the first point, you are breaking it down even into smaller sample sizes; but well, it was 53 in Australia and 46 in Pakistan.....

As for the 66
Dude, that article was so incredibly biased and slanted with malice.

Pretended that slipped from his hand.....

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
That's what I was pointing to. I am not saying it proves without a shadow of doubt, but century in Perth and Adelaide vs Thomson, and that 66; they do indicate he wasn't notoriously bad on quick pitches, mediocre at worst.
He was literally dropped twice.

And again, he's the 3rd greatest opener ever, period. But for a batsman who's claim to fame was taking on the great fast bowlers of the 70's and '80's even mediocre is not the greatest.

Sunil1z

International Regular

And again, he's the 3rd greatest opener ever, period. But for a batsman who's claim to fame was taking on the great fast bowlers of the 70's and '80's even mediocre is not the greatest.
Hope you hold the same opinion about Lara who was even worse than Gavaskar against genuine quick bowling

Not scoring a century against Wasim, Waqar, Donald while averaging 30 is worse than what Gavaskar averaged against WI pace attack.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant

I don't know if it's right to call him mediocre on fast pitches based precisely on one bad WI tour and ignoring the times he was successful in fast pitches WI and Australia; but fine I guess.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Hope you hold the same opinion about Lara who was even worse than Gavaskar against genuine quick bowling

Not scoring a century against Wasim, Waqar, Donald while averaging 30 is worse than what Gavaskar averaged against WI pace attack.
How is Lara even remotely related to this conversation?

@Slifer has answered this multiple times and if you want to bring in Lara, how did Sachin do vs the same opposition? See how that works, and we keep going down the rabbit hole.

Lara scored a 97 vs Pakistan before a freak dismissal and genuinely struggled vs Donald. He also had his triumphs vs McWarne and dominated Murali in SL.

What's the point?

No one is calling Gavaskar anything less than great.

Sunil1z

International Regular

@Slifer has answered this multiple times and if you want to bring in Lara, how did Sachin do vs the same opposition? See how that works, and we keep going down the rabbit hole.

Lara scored a 97 vs Pakistan before a freak dismissal and genuinely struggled vs Donald. He also had his triumphs vs McWarne and dominated Murali in SL.

What's the point?

Looks like I hit a nerve. Gavaskar averaged 50 against top 3 pacers he faced . If you want to torture data for Gavaskar, I will gladly do the same for Sobers and Lara 60F50CC3-D149-46AE-B8CD-569E33CEA73E.jpeg

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like I hit a nerve. Gavaskar averaged 50 against top 3 pacers he faced . If you want to torture data for Gavaskar, I will gladly do the same for Sobers and Lara View attachment 40095
You didn't touch a nerve you brought up an unrelated topic.

I said Gavaskar was the better of the two, I said Gavaskar was the 3rd best opener ever.

All I said was that he wasn't happy on fast pitches. How is that untrue?

The poll was between Gooch and Gavaskar, that's what I'm responding to. Christ though.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara averaged 23 against 2 Ws in 1997 . Next time when you torture data for Gavaskar , kindly do the same for Lara against Wasim , Waqar and Donald .
How the **** is that relevant for this poll?

I swear the tribalism on the forum is toxic as hell.

Where did I torture data? It was Luffy that brought up the 66 and the scores vs Thompson.

All I asked was if the averaging under 40.away from home in the 80's was true. How is that stat mining?

Sunil1z

International Regular
You didn't touch a nerve you brought up an unrelated topic.

I said Gavaskar was the better of the two, I said Gavaskar was the 3rd best opener ever.

All I said was that he wasn't happy on fast pitches. How is that untrue?

The poll was between Gooch and Gavaskar, that's what I'm responding to. Christ though.
Don’t worry I will do the same when next time Lara is mentioned in a poll . Then I will see how you react .

Sunil1z

International Regular
How the **** is that relevant for this poll?

I swear the tribalism on the forum is toxic as hell.

Where did I torture data? It was Luffy that brought up the 66 and the scores vs Thompson.

All I asked was if the averaging under 40.away from home in the 80's was true. How is that stat mining?
Yeah, mentioning last 6 years of a guy who played for 16 years is not stats mining 😂

How much does Sobers average if you remove his runs vs IND which was like minnows in 50s and 60s ?

Slifer

International Captain

What's the point?

Brother, that gentleman is clearly trolling. Best you ignore and do as I do and move on. Not worth it.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Away record of 2nd greatest player when you remove minnow bashing against India in 50s and 60s
View attachment 40096
Actually, throughout Sobers’ career Pakistan and New Zealand were similarly poor as bowling teams. If you’re going to remove India, you might as well remove them too. Its like removing Zimbabwe from a player who did well there and leaving Bangladesh where they failed, complete cherrypicking of stats to support your agenda.

Unfortunately Sobers couldn’t play against South Africa, but SA and England were the dominant bowling sides in his career and he averaged 53 in England.

Last edited: