• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe's Top 50 Greatest Cricketers of Six Generations

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Agreed. Other than those omissions, it's a damn good list though. Who would've thought Crowe was such a thoughtful fan/cricket historian.
I still find it bonkers when Crowe coined the term 'fab 4', it was right of Kohli's horror 2014 English tour; and their stats were:
40.05 avg for smith (20 tests)
50.94 avg for Root (22 tests)
40.28 avg for Kane (34 tests)
39.46 avg for Kohli (29 tests)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I still find it bonkers when Crowe coined the term 'fab 4', it was right of Kohli's horror 2014 English tour; and their stats were:
40.05 avg for smith (20 tests)
50.94 avg for Root (22 tests)
40.28 avg for Kane (34 tests)
39.46 avg for Kohli (29 tests)
Crazy how many more tests Root has played than the others in the last 10 years

sayon basak

International 12th Man
Maybe a clue is in the first sentence of his cricinfo profile:

"Godfrey Evans was arguably the best wicketkeeper the game has ever seen."
iirc that is the Wisden description.
Here's the Wisden description of Ames:-
"without a doubt the greatest wicketkeeper-batsman the game [had] so far produced"

Qlder

International Debutant
I think Martin Crowe forgot to add himself but there are some top names in his era. Viv Richards, Greg Chappell, Barry Richards, Sunil Gavaskar, Javed Miandad and Allan Border. I think Crowe was right up there with the last two.