• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England XI vs India XI (since 1970)

Which test team since 1970 is stronger?

• Total voters

ma1978

International Debutant
Much of England’s AT XI debuted before India was an independent country. Shows the relative decline in English cricket and rise in Indian cricket.

Thala_0710

U19 Cricketer
PAK vs ENG is close. PAK wins easily on the pace attack, while saqlain vs Swann is a close call where I edge it to Swann. The opening pair is better for ENG while the middle order is better for Pak but I have Prior over Rizwan for now. Would go Pak overall mainly due to their pace bowling. A combined Xi perhaps looking sth like this:
Gooch
Cook
Younis
Root
Miandad
Prior
Imran
Botham
Swann
Wasim
Waqar

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Much of England’s AT XI debuted before India was an independent country. Shows the relative decline in English cricket and rise in Indian cricket.
Yea no doubt England was great back in like the 1930s but they’ve been very underwhelming in the modern era when the standard of the sport is higher

capt_Luffy

International Captain
PAK vs ENG is close. PAK wins easily on the pace attack, while saqlain vs Swann is a close call where I edge it to Swann. The opening pair is better for ENG while the middle order is better for Pak but I have Prior over Rizwan for now. Would go Pak overall mainly due to their pace bowling. A combined Xi perhaps looking sth like this:
Gooch
Cook
Younis
Root
Miandad
Prior
Imran
Botham
Swann
Wasim
Waqar
I think Pakistan vs India is much closer. For the English comparison, the Pakistani bowling attack is a few too many levels ahead and I would even give them the batting, though marginally. For Ind vs Pak, It's basically India AT XI vs Pakistan AT XI without the Mohammad brothers.

Johan

First Class Debutant
Gavaskar>Gooch
Sehwag>Cook
Dravid>Gower
Tendulkar>Root
Kohli>Pietersen
Pant already better than Matt Prior imo.
Kapil<Botham
Jadeja>Swann
Ashwin>Willis
Bumrah>Broad
Shami<Anderson

Might be a poor way to judge, but yeah.
Not close for me.
Only one is wrong.

ma1978

International Debutant
Thought experiment. Would a combined India / Pak AT XI

Gavaskar