• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What parts of the game would you like to see return to modern cricket?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah, not a fan of the choreographed/ultra-pumped up celebrations. I like the old-timers in black and white reels who'd just stop dead in their follow-through after a successful appeal, roll up the sleeve on their bowling arm and casually stroll towards their teammates.
Hard disagree from me. I love the fist pumping and celebrations, really adds a bit of hype to what can be a pretty dour sport at times.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is it logistically impossible?
Because absolutely no one involved can commit time and resources for an unspecified time frame. The players, the grounds, the boards and most importantly the TV companies and the public with bums on seats.

None of us cricket fans like to think too much about the financial side of the game but it does cost a lot of money to host test matches.......who the hell is going to invest In a contest that could last 3 days or 10?

Even the little things like food vendors......who is going to book themselves in for day 8 and knock back other opportunities for work?

It's untenable on every level before you even consider the stupidity of asking players to play a format at the highest level that they've never played and have no idea about.

josephina

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not sure about old rules, but these are the new rules I would like.

I would prefer limited over tests.

There should be no umpire's call in DRS.

Should be a free hit for no balls in tests.

LBW shouldn't worry about where the ball pitched or if the batter was struck in line.

Aritro

International Regular
Zinc cream. Especially applied with that distinctive winged pattern. A completely useless thing which I'm sure had no utility at all that you wouldn't just get from normal sunscreen, and cosmetically silly as well, but also actually a notable part of cricket's aesthetic when I was a kid.

1729491578274.png

1729491618942.png

Coronis

International Coach
Because absolutely no one involved can commit time and resources for an unspecified time frame. The players, the grounds, the boards and most importantly the TV companies and the public with bums on seats.

None of us cricket fans like to think too much about the financial side of the game but it does cost a lot of money to host test matches.......who the hell is going to invest In a contest that could last 3 days or 10?

Even the little things like food vendors......who is going to book themselves in for day 8 and knock back other opportunities for work?

It's untenable on every level before you even consider the stupidity of asking players to play a format at the highest level that they've never played and have no idea about.
I mean, most things in this thread are untenable and unrealistic.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure about old rules, but these are the new rules I would like.

I would prefer limited over tests.

There should be no umpire's call in DRS.

Should be a free hit for no balls in tests.

LBW shouldn't worry about where the ball pitched or if the batter was struck in line.
These are all terrible ideas, some more than others. Last one is the worst

josephina

These are all terrible ideas, some more than others. Last one is the worst
Please argue the case for the current law. Do you really believe batters will start padding up to balls striking them just outside off knowing they could be out LBW. Are balls pitched outside leg really negative? Warne's most celebrated wickets were pitched outside leg. Was that negative bowling? Was it boring?

josephina

NO Duckworth/Lewis and NO DRS. The Umpire s should be the sole arbitrators
Can't agree with those. We lose one over from rain and there is no result?

As to DRS, the moment your team gets a dud decision, you will be the first person asking for DRS.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Please argue the case for the current law. Do you really believe batters will start padding up to balls striking them just outside off knowing they could be out LBW. Are balls pitched outside leg really negative? Warne's most celebrated wickets were pitched outside leg. Was that negative bowling? Was it boring?
If you allowed balls pitching outside leg to be lbw you would completely change the game of cricket. And it would be bad