• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Flower vs Alan Knott

Who is the better wicketkeeper batsman?

• Total voters

Johan

First Class Debutant
depends, good bowling attack with bowlers who move the ball then I'll consider Knott

meh bowling attack and it's Flower all the way

Coronis

International Coach
depends, good bowling attack with bowlers who move the ball then I'll consider Knott

meh bowling attack and it's Flower all the way
So if your bowling attack is worse and creating fewer chances you’re wanting a lower chance of those fewer chances being taken? Cool

capt_Luffy

International Captain
He wasn't a good keeper at all in my memory. Stats for keepers aren't reliable and even footage for Zimbabwe tests is limited. If you're looking for hard evidence you aren't really going to get it.
I get it, but like judging keeping is rough, especially when you haven't seen them. I didn't read about him dropping too much, and don't really think being untidy (which mostly comes as bad in eye Test) is a huge issue.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. I dont think he was particularly great as a keeper but I dont recall him doing any bad drops at all or any of the commentators going on about it either. I remember they did say Taibu was a better keeper than him but that does not necessarily make Flower bad.

I honestly recall a lot more folks pointing out how important his batting was and why he shouldn't let keeping dilute his batting as its more valuable.

Another thing to note is that while Gilly scored a lot of runs, he also had the luxury of being in a team that hardly stayed long on the field and was also batting at 7 and batting at a clip which meant he was hardly, if ever, batting 2 or more sessions or whatever. Flower had to often bat that long to even score a 70-80. So its not always a fair comparison.

I dont think he was in Gilly's league but he was a decent to good keeper and not really gonna bring any side down by that much for his keeping.

Last edited:

Johan

First Class Debutant
So if your bowling attack is worse and creating fewer chances you’re wanting a lower chance of those fewer chances being taken? Cool
if the team has nothing bowling and is a weak team in general, a high tier ATVG borderling ATG batsmen would give you more than a good wicket keeper will