• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

the big bambino

International Captain
Would be pretty rare for such a revamped side to comeback so well. They dropped some big names and got gold star performances from all the replacements. Doubtless winning the toss gave Pakistan an advantage but to overcome the soul taking thrashing just a week ago to this effort suggests the side has a fair bit of resilience.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Dont think the toss had as much to with this result as England's catching. And, you know, the fact that Pakistan played really really well. I know we make fun of the uncles but those were some serious spells, help or no help from the pitch.
I think the biggest error was probably not reviewing the Rizwan caught behind in the first innings. Pakistan would've been 198-5 and every chance they were bowled out for under 300. England might have been able to burgle a first innings lead and it's an entirely different game.

By the time the drops happened England were way behind the game and I don't think they made a huge difference.

The toss was clearly an important factor though.

Johan

First Class Debutant
Still think we will beat the Aussies 5-0 ;)
I'd be happy with One Win, we need to start first being competitive in Australia before eyeing series wins, more importantly we need an attack that can take 20 wickets consistenty rather than the usual one or two good bowlers who the aussies just block and then proceed to smash everyone else.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Would be pretty rare for such a revamped side to comeback so well. They dropped some big names and got gold star performances from all the replacements. Doubtless winning the toss gave Pakistan an advantage but to overcome the soul taking thrashing just a week ago to this effort suggests the side has a fair bit of resilience.
Yeah this is the most pleasantly surprising piece for me. Our teams haven't really shown anything that could be mistaken for resilience since the Misbah days.

danzydab

U19 Debutant
He top scored in this innings.
And Bashir, Leach outscored him in the 1st innings.
Not only is his batting average in Asia low, he is not fit enough to bowl enough overs.
Stokes is a liability in the subcontinent. Somebody like Dawson in his place would make a bigger difference in these conditions.

BazBall21

International Captain
Not only is his batting average in Asia low, he is not fit enough to bowl enough overs.
Stokes is a liability in the subcontinent. Somebody like Dawson in his place would make a bigger difference in these conditions.
Classic innings on a rank turner today.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
On Day 1 when there was something in it for the seamers, we could really have done with someone who could've bowled more than 5 overs. That's why Pakistan would have been right royally screwed had they lost the toss.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Always thought this was on the cards :ph34r:. Seriously though, this English team is making a habit of getting too big for their shoes after taking an early lead in series. At least that's the vibe they put out in the press and it can't but rile up any self-respecting opposition.

FBU

International Debutant
On Day 1 when there was something in it for the seamers, we could really have done with someone who could've bowled more than 5 overs. That's why Pakistan would have been right royally screwed had they lost the toss.
His speed was down for bowling reverse-swing. Should have let Potts have a go. Don't think Stokes gets into the team if he is not bowling.

BazBall21

International Captain
Always thought this was on the cards :ph34r:. Seriously though, this English team is making a habit of getting too big for their shoes after taking an early lead in series. At least that's the vibe they put out in the press and it can't but rile up any self-respecting opposition.
Have they actually said anything of note on this tour?

BazBall21

International Captain
Jokes aside, Stokes has never been comfortable batting on spinning wickets and that caveat is naturally deteriorating further with age. His bowling though was good in Asia before his long term knee injury which propped up his value on the SC. I agree that he needs his bowling in Asia. In comparison to Dawson though (as he's been mentioned), that pitch in the second Test was very rare in Pakistan. Usually much harsher conditions to spin and it still was pretty tough for spin in the first five sessions which covered one of England's bowling innings.

BazBall21

International Captain
Thought Duckett said something about Pak crumbling in the third innings? Sure there's precedent for that, but rubbing it in so blatantly is just tempting fate and an already #CorneredTiger.
Don't recall that so I couldn't say if the comment was unnatural or not but I can't see it being that bad given I've heard nothing. He did make a sanctimonious comment on the India tour which I found a bit pathetic and he's had plenty of stick from England fans as well as everyone else over that.

BazBall21

International Captain
I've had a look. He just said "they can crumble" out of optimism. Nothing wrong with that. Just moaning at this point cos' it's England.