• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

BazBall21

International Captain
Definitely though there were times where things drifted in the field. The ninth wicket partnership yesterday for sure. Chasing 250 seems less daunting than 300.
Getting rid of the lower order has been a problem for a long time but ultimately we dropped Salman twice before he got in and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Our catching needs to be better in the deciding test.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan fans deserved that. Brave call from the PCB pays off. Onto Rawalpindi.
Yep, they got away with it....pretty much throwing all your resources onto a toss of a coin.

From Day 2 onwards only two players crossed 40, one was dropped twice in single figures and the other is now looking a freakish innings by Duckett.

I'd imagine the PCB are hastily arranging some Club games for that Rawalpindi pitch over the next few days....

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, they got away with it....pretty much throwing all your resources onto a toss of a coin.

From Day 2 onwards only two players crossed 40, one was dropped twice in single figures and the other is now looking a freakish innings by Duckett.

I'd imagine the PCB are hastily arranging some Club games for that Rawalpindi pitch over the next few days....
Let us give credit where it is due. Pakistan did play very well to win this. Cant just attribute it to winning the toss.

BazBall21

International Captain

It's clever. They have the inferior lineup and did what they can to make it a 'leveller', and I said before the series began a spin v spin type contest is a better bet for Pakistan than flat wickets all day long. They have decent players of spin and England's spinners are no world beaters. England's batting has too much firepower on quintessential Pakistan roads.

tony p

State Regular
Haven't been able to watch any of this match, but how many wickets that England lost were due to the pitch, and how many were due to their own batting mistakes ( ie. reverse sweeps, etc)

BazBall21

International Captain
They had to attack on that pitch, although I agree they could have been a little more methodical than just sweeping every single delivery.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Haven't been able to watch any of this match, but how many wickets that England lost were due to the pitch, and how many were due to their own batting mistakes ( ie. reverse sweeps, etc)
I don't think there was a single wicket in the 20 where England were got out. Wrong shot selections galore.

220/2 to 291 all out is where we lost the game. Even if Pakistan gambled everything on the test.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Let us give credit where it is due. Pakistan did play very well to win this. Cant just attribute it to winning the toss.
If England won the toss they'd have racked up 400 on the one good day for batting and it would've been game over. But no doubt the Pakistani spinners bowled well and made the most of the situation. Fair play to the PCB for recognising the one way they could beat England and going full force behind it.

I don't think there was a single wicket in the 20 where England were got out. Wrong shot selections galore.

220/2 to 291 all out is where we lost the game. Even if Pakistan gambled everything on the test.
What would have been a par score from 221-2? Pitch started to do a bit, but nothing can excuse losing your last 8 wickets for 70 runs, this team is still too reliant on Root, too often when he falls, everyone else folds like a deck of cards

Spark

Global Moderator
It's clever. They have the inferior lineup and did what they can to make it a 'leveller', and I said before the series began a spin v spin type contest is a better bet for Pakistan than flat wickets all day long. They have decent players of spin and England's spinners are no world beaters. England's batting has too much firepower on quintessential Pakistan roads.
I could just as easily flip this around and claim that far from being a "leveller", this match proves that England's batsmen are flat track bullies who crumble as soon as the pitch has movement and inconsistent pace or bounce, and that would be just as valid an interpretation of what happened. So I don't think this spin is very convincing.

BazBall21

International Captain
I could just as easily flip this around and claim that far from being a "leveller", this match proves that England's batsmen are flat track bullies who crumble as soon as the pitch has movement and inconsistent pace or bounce, and that would be just as valid an interpretation of what happened. So I don't think this spin is very convincing.
Praising a board's tactics is not a spin. Pakistan batsmen didn't do great on this pitch either once it started turning, but England's fielding letting them down isn't their problem. And I have noted that several times.