• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

FBU

International Debutant
Yea.
England have found their no.8 away from home.
Probably makes the Ashes
4 wickets and 2 drops by Pope in 1st Test, 5 wickets and 3 drops in the 2nd Test = 9 wickets and 5 drops

Leach - Duckett
Carse - Root
Carse - Smith
Carse - Root
Potts - Bashir

BazBall21

International Captain
I think for England to win, they need to disrupt the spinners. Cause some chaos. That would reduce time required and effective aggression tends to increase the rate of bad deliveries. It puts pressure on the fielding captain too. It might force them to go to Zahid who is a drain. Two of Brook, Stokes and Smith efficiently messing with the lengths with Root accumulating at the other end. It's easier said than done (hence their chances are about 20%), but if they just let Pakistan bowl to them, I don't see how they dig out another 200; letter lone another 260. Pakistan would only need to put the ball on a good length on a deck as helpful as this to be threatening and without pressure being applied to them, bowling accurately isn't a big ask. Good batting judgement is needed too though. Duckett's shot was suicidal. It was too short to sweep (especially for a short batsman) and the new ball will get up quicker.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What are you on about ?

Rizwan scored 298 runs vs Bangladesh in the last series @98.00 including a career best 171 not out ..

In the series before that in Australia he averaged 48 with the bat ..

He averages 42 in Test cricket from 34 tests. Think you can count on one hand the keepers who average more having atleast played 30 tests..

He'd walk into most sides in the world..
Rizwan is more underrated if anything, there are very few keepers that average 40+ in all formats . He might be alone in that stat.
Only gripe I'd have about Rizwan is the fact he is in a team the same as Kamindu Mendis was in England where the best bats are at 5, 6 and 7 and the pressure I on them to dig the side out of a hole and also manipulate the tail. Shuffle the order a bit long term and you will get more from him anyway I feel. Quality player and very solid keeper.

I think for England to win, they need to disrupt the spinners. Cause some chaos. That would reduce time required and effective aggression tends to increase the rate of bad deliveries. It puts pressure on the fielding captain too. It might force them to go to Zahid who is a drain. Two of Brook, Stokes and Smith efficiently messing with the lengths with Root accumulating at the other end. It's easier said than done (hence their chances are about 20%), but if they just let Pakistan bowl to them, I don't see how they dig out another 200; letter lone another 260. Pakistan would only need to put the ball on a good length on a deck as helpful as this to be threatening and without pressure being applied to them, bowling accurately isn't a big ask. Good batting judgement is needed too though. Duckett's shot was suicidal. It was too short to sweep (especially for a short batsman) and the new ball will get up quicker.
Bazballing is unlikely to result in a win, it’s arguably the reason for why England got into this mess in the first place, but on a pitch doing things in the 4th innings, it’s worth a go as playing normally will likely result in a heavy defeat anyway

Anyway, as always, while there is Root there is hope. Pope has passed 20 too, usually when he gets that far he cashes in (first innings notwithstanding!), and hopefully the deeper batting will help us

BazBall21

International Captain
Bazballing is unlikely to result in a win, it’s arguably the reason for why England got into this mess in the first place, but on a pitch doing things in the 4th innings, it’s worth a go as playing normally will likely result in a heavy defeat anyway
England lost a terrible toss to lose and an inexperienced spinner missed his mark in the first innings. You only have to bowl accurately on rank turners and England only have two top players of spin no matter what batting approach they take.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Anyway, as always, while there is Root there is hope. Pope has passed 20 too, usually when he gets that far he cashes in (first innings notwithstanding!), and hopefully the deeper batting will help us
Stokes needs a score. Recent record in Asia is poor. You feel three of the rest of the top seven have to get scores.

England lost a terrible toss to lose and an inexperienced spinner missed his mark in the first innings. You only have to bowl accurately on rank turners and England only have two top players of spin no matter what batting approach they take.
It was a terrible toss to lose, though the bowlers (if not the fielders) have kept England competitive, and at 211-2 you have to say England were on top. Leach did outbowl his opposite numbers in the first Test, but it’s not necessarily about that, as you say, England’s batters are at best unproven against spin, I’d hesitate to give Pakistan too much credit for their tactics as it all seemed a bit panicked and last-minute, but you can’t deny it’s worked!

BazBall21

International Captain
It was a terrible toss to lose, though the bowlers (if not the fielders) have kept England competitive, and at 211-2 you have to say England were on top. Leach did outbowl his opposite numbers in the first Test, but it’s not necessarily about that, as you say, England’s batters are at best unproven against spin, I’d hesitate to give Pakistan too much credit for their tactics as it all seemed a bit panicked and last-minute, but you can’t deny it’s worked!
Yeah I can't criticise the bowlers or captain much. Bashir missed his mark in the first innings but he's young. Carse and Leach have bowled very well throughout. Catching has let us down though.

Johan

State 12th Man
England simply didn't adapt well to when the ball started spinning, both Root and Duckett were caught offguard, Stokes is weak to spin and Brook did something very stupid, and Jamie had a brain fart under pressure.

BazBall21

International Captain
England simply didn't adapt well to when the ball started spinning, both Root and Duckett were caught offguard, Stokes is weak to spin and Brook did something very stupid, and Jamie had a brain fart under pressure.
Root never got in. The poor carry in the pitch frustrated him. Only Duckett really got in and he's a candidate to to throw it away even when playing well.