• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Jonny would have had a field day in 2022 and on this double test pitch.

He had a great time at 3 in Sri Lanka.

Pope is still looking shoehorned in at 3 despite his improvement since promoted there. Boom and bust will continue to be his game I fear, nobody is particularly banging the door down to replace him. But he shouldn't remain an automatic pick like he is currently.
Bohannan has a good record at 3 but they're not interested because he's slow

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Naseem. He bowled with no luck and lots of skill on a pudding
Not surprised it was him.

Naseem bowled very well in the circumstances. Deserved far more reward.

Shaheen looked like he was phoning it in.

Still mental they dropped both and Babar from the series completely.
I knew they'd been dropped for the test. Didn't know they were gone for the series. That is mental.

Naseem is not as fit as he should be and it shows in his reduced pace compared to his debut, and he seems to have lost his conventional outswinger. That I think is partly on him and partly on Pakistan's dark ages player management (like when he got injured playing LPL right before the Austraia tour). But even with that I think he's Pakistan's best fast bowler. He'd be doing better on this drier, more abrasive surface.

Shaheen has not been right since his knee injury, which was terribly managed. But if it's not actually still causing physical trouble right now, then it's something else. Might be that he doesn't trust it - saw someone say something about him maybe carrying a 'mental niggle', or could be a bad mindset. Either way he's turned into a trundler.

slowfinger

International Debutant
No, that's worse. You have no ****ing idea what's happening in someone else's head from your sofa.

He's not even that good.
are you not allowed to comment on mental strength or mentality? I think making a habit of pretty 20's and 30's is a telltale sign of mentality

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
It's clearly a technical issue. As we know, Pope averages a heck of a lot at the Oval (in county cricket) and largely accumulated ahead of the last few years when they've left a lot of grass on the wicket. Facing medium paced seamers or non-large rev inducing finger spinners there, isn't really an appropriate challenge as what you might face in test cricket.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I don't find either of these suggestions close to convincing. We need to have talk about selection when there's an actual good idea for replacement, not just when some guy doesn't score as many as you want.
i mean i hope it doesn't cost us the match but he's been unreliable especially in the big series' for a while. i don't fancy him for the ashes one bit

Howe_zat

Audio File
are you not allowed to comment on mental strength or mentality? I think making a habit of pretty 20's and 30's is a telltale sign of mentality
I'm letting you know that's horse ****. That isn't even his habit, and even if it were, it's not a sign of mental anything. Just put the idea to bed because you'll always sound like an armchair blatherer when you bring out this crap.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suppose I'm spoiled having watched Lyon and Ashwin bowl about a million overs, but it really is jarring when Sajid lets the batsmen rotate the strike by bowling one a good two feet off the line of his perfectly fine previous delivery.

mackembhoy

International Regular
@BazBall21 Root playing slowly, no bazball shenanigans looks like
As much as he's not admitted it. He's definitely realised that Bumrah dismissal/India series was moronic from him and gone back to his game.

He brought the shot out again in the summer and got out. But I think he already had a ton at that point.

Johan

State 12th Man
As much as he's not admitted it. He's definitely realised that Bumrah dismissal/India series was moronic from him and gone back to his game.

He brought the shot out again in the summer and got out. But I think he already had a ton at that point.
Yeah he really has impacted since that test, averaging 90 since then

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't miss Pope very much, but the notion that just anyone could walk in and do better than he has over the last few years in that position is one that isn't supported by anything.
Most of bazball doesn’t exactly have much precedence